Random Freezes

MFL

Reaction score
I have Dell desktops in two locations. Recently, they all have started freezing randomly, requiring a reboot using the power button. All have latest Windows 10 updates. The newest computer, about a year old, freezes at least once a day and sometimes more often. The others have just done it a couple of times. Except on a couple of occasions, there has been no blue screen, just a total freeze. I have run check disk, scannow and hardware diagnostics and tinkered with the page file, but nothing has worked.

Any suggestions? Thanks.

MFL

Reaction score
The most troublesome one has an Intel i5-6400 CPU @ 2.70 GHz, 8.00 RAM and 64- bit OS.

Reaction score
Have you done any BIOS updates for the Intel rig?, check out the motherboard manufacturers site for any possible updates to BIOS for your board(s). ;)

MFL

Reaction score
It would not explain the freezes by the other two, older Dell desktops we have. I did not update their BIOS.

MFL

Reaction score
The computer I'm working on just froze. It's not the one with the Intel i5-6400 processor, but has an Intel i5-4440 processor. I was using Firefox when it froze, but the other computer has frozen when I've been using Outlook or other programs.

Reaction score
Is your network open to the world?, have you run any AntiVirus software (what are you using?). Did all your problems start on all rigs at the same time?. o_O

MFL

Reaction score
I have two home networks in two locations. Firewalls in both routers and Windows firewall on all computers. Avira is my antivirus. The problem started with one computer, then on another one at the other location, then on another at the first location. The first computer is the most frequent victim, a couple of times a day.

A couple of weeks ago, the computer which freezes most often froze after I had rebooted it after having removed the two external drives connected to it. Precisely when I connected one external drive, the computer froze. I concluded that the external drive caused the freeze. I was wrong; the computer continued its random freezes later.

MFL

Reaction score
When the computers freeze, their mouse pointers continue working. The only result of clicking on something is sometimes to trigger the little spinning wheel. Occasionally, after a delay, a small Microsoft dialog box will pop up and ask if I want to stop the process. Clicking on it is equally ineffective.

Reaction score
MFL Try running Windows Native Trouble shooter. Type "Trouble in the search box, select "Troubleshoot system settings" Worth a try!

MFL

Reaction score
Avira is on all the time and runs a full scan regularly.

Under System and Security, Windows troubleshooter offers only "Fix problems with Windows Update, Run maintenance tasks" and "Improve power usage."

MFL

Reaction score
I ran Event Viewer right after one computer just froze, and under Windows System saw some undecipherable warnings and a few undecipherable error warnings. Could any of them be helpful?

Reaction score
I got hacked on my W7 install yesterday (yes I know!, I was using MSE as my go-to AV app!). My PC froze completely and I was forced to restart using "soft power down" and a fresh start, a scan with MSE would have been non-effective imo and I didn't even bother running Avira from the disk as W7 was just-for-fun on my PC.

The log files might be useful, I would still run Avira from the disk and check the settings so it looks in every nook and cranny!. :):):) Make sure you let the Avira live app update itself!. ;)

MFL

Reaction score
Fingers crossed, but the problem may have stopped on at least two computers, including the one which was having the most frequent freezes. If this is true, then Windows 10 Home Version 1703 - Build 15063.608 is the most likely culprit, although Avira may have contributed. On the less troublesome computer, the freezes stopped as soon as I updated to Build 15063.674 and replaced Avira with AVG. On the other one, I updated to Build 15063.674 and installed the newest free Avira (AVG would not install), but the freezes continued for another couple of days before disappearing.

Ask a Question