Random Guid Folder are being creted on my C Drive.

Reaction score
Since upgrading to Windows 10 Enterprise I'm seeing a bunch of randomly named folders appearing on my second (non-OS) partition, with names such as "2cb82a847721fa9204182bfb1c". They all have a sub-folder named "Sandbox". Some I have access to and are empty, others I can't even look into, even though I'm an administrator.

Anyone have any Idea why these are being created?

Regards,
Neil Jones

Regedit32

Reaction score
Hi njonsey,

This is an issue that has arisen for some users over the last year.

The first thing to do is confirm the partition the Sandbox folder is being created on is not a Recovery Partition placed there by the manufacturer of your computer. You may all ready know if it is or is not, but you can confirm by doing the following:
  • Press Winkey + X
  • Press K or with mouse select Disk Management
  • Note: if it is a Recovery Partition you will need to exercise caution removing/deleting that folder and its contents.

OK, now for the reason this Sandbox exists and has any number of seemingly random files added to it.

The issue is caused by an older version of Microsoft Windows' System Center Configuration Manager (SCCM) trying to repair its agent.

The simplest way to resolve this is to simply update the System Center Configuration Manager.

Microsoft's TechNet site has information about this along with an evaluation of its latest version here:

Now it may be the case you cannot do this or your Windows 10 upgrade all ready included this, but during the install you inherited the previous Windows OS version of SCCM; hence the attempts to repair itself and creating those mystery files.

If that is the case then the following is how to resolve this:

• Check you Domain Group Policy settings to ensure a domain group policy is not still trying to load the old version of SCCM. Obviously if it is you will need to edit that policy or remove it altogether. The catch here is the Group Policy Editor built into Windows 10 is only available for premium versions of Windows 10.

• Press Winkey + X
  • Press A or with mouse select Command Prompt (Admin)
  • This will open the Administrator: Command Prompt console to C:\WINDOWS\System32>
  • At that prompt type or copy & paste the following command:
C:\Windows\ccmsetup\ccmsetup.exe /uninstall
  • Press Enter key to execute above command
  • Type exit | then press Enter key to close Administrator: Command Prompt console.

• Next open File Explorer | navigate to C:\Windows
  • Right click on the folder: ccmsetup | select Delete

• Finally, navigate to the partition the Sandbox folder is on
  • Open the Sandbox folder and manually delete those mystery folders inside with the long names
  • Note: Remember my caution above. If this is a recovery drive exercise caution here!
Regards,

Regedit32

Ask a Question