SOLVED Random Hiberanation after upgrading to W10 from W8.1

Reaction score
I get the random dirty hibernation of my laptop if I don't activate an input (mouse or keyboard) in the span of 1minute. I had Windows 8.1 prior to upgrading to Windows 10 and all my power settings were fine and I never had the dirty hibernate then upgrading to Windows 10 for some reason I get it.

One way I sort of prevent the Hibernate is to:
  • Completely shut down/restart my PC
  • When it boots
    • Run CMD in "Administration Mode"
    • Type powercfg /h off
    • Hit Enter
  • Then hope for the best
This is only when its plugged into a power source, when I take the laptop off power and only use battery and I walk away for 1minute it does the dirty hibernation, its like a retarded dog that you feed it once it stays, the moment you walk away from it it craps on you.

And before you answer "Have you checked your System Power & Sleep settings, yes I have and the Advanced Settings which are component specific.

I'm afraid over time if this continues to happen my PC will crap itself. Somebody help !

Reaction score
I get the random hibernation of my laptop if I don't activate an input (mouse or keyboard) in the span of 1minute. I had Windows 8.1 prior to upgrading to Windows 10 and all my power settings were fine and I never had the dirtyhibernate then upgrading to Windows 10 for some reason I get it.

One way I sort of prevent the Hibernate is to:
  • Completely shut down/restart my PC
  • When it boots
    • Run CMD in "Administration Mode"
    • Type powercfg /h off
    • Hit Enter
  • Then hope for the best
This is only when its plugged into a power source, when I take the laptop off power and only use battery and I walk away for 1minute it does the dirty hibernation, its like a retarded dog that you feed it once it stays, the moment you walk away from it it craps on you.

And before you answer "Have you checked your System Power & Sleep settings, yes I have and the Advanced Settings which are component specific.

I'm afraid over time if this continues to happen my PC will crap itself. Somebody help !

Regedit32

Reaction score
Hi PJ,

Something you could try is the following:
  • In search bar type regedit then with it highlighted press Ctrl+Shift+Enter keys to open as Administrator
  • Expand the Hive tree to this location:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
> SYSTEM
> CurrentControlSet
> Control
> Power
> PowerSettings
> 238C9FA8-0AAD-41ED-83F4-97BE242C8F20
> 7bc4a2f9-d8fc-4469-b07b-33eb785aaca0
  • In the left pane left click to highlight that last Hive key above
  • Now in the right pane double click "Attributes" and change the current value from 1 to 2 and click OK
  • Press F5 to refresh then close the Registry Editor
The above tweak of Registry will add a new option in your advanced power settings you can modify to resolve the issue you are describing. To do this do the following:
  • In search bar type Power Options
  • Select " Power Options" and open
  • In window that opens you will see "Balanced (Recommended)" and a hyperlink to right of it that allows you to Change plan settings. Click that hyperlink.
  • In the window that opens click Change advanced power settings hyperlink.
  • In the Power Options window that opens click on the Hyperlink Change settings that are currently unavailable.
  • Now click the + to expand tree like so:
- Sleep
+ Sleep after
- System Unattended sleep timeout

Setting: 2 Minutes
  • Click that 2 Minutes hyperlink and adjust to time limit you want, then click APPLY button
Hopefully you can now avoid the issue you were talking about.

Happy computing.

Regedit32

Last edited:

Regedit32

Reaction score
Hi PJ,

I've replied to your other post as well, but just in case this is the one you are checking for a response on.

Hi PJ,

• In search bar type regedit then with it highlighted press Ctrl+Shift+Enter keys to open as Administrator
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
> SYSTEM
> CurrentControlSet
> Control
> Power
> PowerSettings
> 7bc4a2f9-d8fc-4469-b07b-33eb785aaca0​
  • Now in the right pane double click "Attributes" and change the current value from 1 to 2 and click OK

The above tweak of Registry will add a new option in your advanced power settings you can modify to resolve the issue you are describing. To do this do the following:
  • In window that opens you will see "Balanced (Recommended)" and a hyperlink to right of it that allows you to Change plan settings. Click that hyperlink.
  • In the Power Options window that opens click on the Hyperlink Change settings that are currently unavailable.
- Sleep
+ Sleep after
  • Click that 2 Minutes hyperlink and adjust to time limit you want, then click APPLY button

Happy computing.

Regedit32

Reaction score
Hi PJ,

I've replied to your other post as well, but just in case this is the one you are checking for a response on.

Hi PJ,

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
> SYSTEM
> CurrentControlSet
> Control
> Power
> PowerSettings
> 7bc4a2f9-d8fc-4469-b07b-33eb785aaca0​
- Sleep
+ Sleep after

Happy computing.

Regedit32

Hey Regedit, you are a master my friend, clearly you are a Systems Administrator/Architect because I followed your exact steps and I walked away just now and laptop is still on ! I was thinking I would have jumped into NetBIOS but your RegEdit Advice was clearly the solution, thank you mate!

Reaction score
One learns.! aren't those tweaks for sleep action only??
I think the command powercfg /h off, does turn off hibernate on and of power. The OP, on battery, may have been experiencing the Laptop actually going to sleep when on battery, but I am uncertain.
One possible downfall of altering hibernate and sleep settings, is loss of data if your machine runs out of battery.
A look at the battery settings in the power options, with hiber on and without the hacks, shows this:

Untitled.png

When hiber is turned off, this option vanishes.

I do wonder if you are placing the laptop in, as I said, a critical data loss situation.
I would be interested in any comments?

Last edited:

Ask a Question