SOLVED Random Reboot without Warning

Reaction score
The last couple of months I have been having an odd problem. My pc is randomly powering down without warning, it will then attempt to power back up, sometimes it works and sometimes it gets about halfway and just shuts down again. After this happens the power button won't work so I can't manually turn it back on. After several hours usually it will work again.
I've had diagnostics run on it and any hardware issue has been ruled out. I'm thinking it's probably a driver issue but I haven't been able to fix it so far.
I've tried just reinstalling windows 8.1 but every time I tried to use the media creation tool the pc shuts down again. I've tried doing it in safe mode but the pc just shuts down there too.
I'd like to just reinstall windows 8.1 at this point, unless someone has another solution, but I'm afraid that the pc will shut down while I'm reinstalling it.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Hello and welcome to the forum.
The symptoms that you are describing where
The PC shuts down and often will not restart immediately are normally associated with a heat problem.
The PC is probably overheating and until the internal components reach normal or below normal operating temperatures it will not restart.
Check the internals for dust and debris inspect all fans and confirm that they are working as well as the processor heat sink and consider reapplying thermal paste if needed.

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply, I forgot to mention that I've recently dusted off all the components and monitored the temps, which were fine right before it crashed, and it's liquid cooled. However I will reapply the thermal paste anyway and see if that helps.
Edit- sorry also to note is a red light that appears on the mother board after it crashes.

Last edited:

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
OK.... if that doesn't seem to help, then you might consider that a secondary component such as your Power Supply could be suffering some type of thermal related breakdown, or.....
May just have one of its' components failing

Reaction score
Sounds like a failing motherboard or power supply. Check the capacitors on the motherboard. See if any of them appear to be bulging or leaking. If so the board is bad. If you have or can get a digital multimeter you can check the power supply using that. I know you said you had the hardware checked. But it sounds like of of the two is failing.

Reaction score
I didn't have a multimeter sadly so I took it too a different computer repair shop who did a much better diagnostic than the other one I took it to who did it free, turns out the psu is indeed failing.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Glad you were able to get the help you needed to resolve your issue.
Thanks for the follow-up.
Much appreciated.

Ask a Question