SOLVED Re-install of Win 10.

Reaction score
Running setup and have 3 options 1- keep personal data and apps. 2- keep personal files but settings/apps will be deleted, 3- nothing which should I use since donating

Reaction score
I have a HP notebook which was upgrade from win 8.1 to win 10 when offered free. Can I use MCT and don't want to save any personal data since I'm donating it to a person in need? Could I just use restore to Win8 and then run the CMT/ISO to upgrade to win0
The safest and best way to do this is to do the following. I’ve just done this to a 7 year old laptop that I had (running Win-10 Home) that I gave to my grandson.

First, think about your data, make sure you check any folders you’ve created and migrate those files manually to a backup drive. Once this is done you can use the Windows backup feature for the rest.
  • go to Settings
  • click on Updates and Security
  • click on Backup
Then perform the reset;
  • go to Settings
  • click on Update and Security
  • click on Recovery
  • click on Get Started underneath Reset this PC
  • click on Remove Everything
  • follow the on-screen instructions
Once this is complete, proceed to the final steps:
  • go to account.microsoft.com/devices
  • select Remove
  • follow the instructions to remove your old device from your account
  • log out of your account on the old device and advice the new owner that he has to have a Microsoft account e.g. Hotmail, outlook etc, so that the old computers electronic key is logged into Microsoft for updates etc
In this case, I made a Microsoft account by the means of a 'hotmail email account' for my grandson, so that the system can be activated that way to him through Microsoft. Once you’ve taken care of these steps you should have a reasonable assurance that your data has been deleted (again, with the above caveat that this isn’t a professional wipe). Your computer is ready for its new owner. Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Choice 3 should work fine.

This worked great but win10 had minimum apps. What I did then was do recovery to win7 which was originally on it. Once win7 was on I didn't register or set anything up other than naming the notebook "owner". Then I did the win10 install with choice 1.

Reaction score
This worked great but win10 had minimum apps. What I did then was do recovery to win7 which was originally on it. Once win7 was on I didn't register or set anything up other than naming the notebook "owner". Then I did the win10 install with choice 1.
Good. The option of the 3 choices does give one different ways of getting to the desired result.

Ask a Question