Reason for waiting till Microsoft advertises their new build

Reaction score
Well I have Pro on all my computers so I can just block all updates until SCU is released then download it from Catalog I have more confidence in the download from the Catalog than WU

The SCU is not in the catalog, only updates and drivers are. SCU can only be downloaded via the MCT

Reaction score
Well FCU was in the catalog the same day it was released so I assume SCU will be too, if my memory serves me well that was 6 months ago I could be wrong.

Reaction score
I didn't have the Media Creation Tool in my library of applications. I had to download a new copy last night.
I just went through using your downloaded MediaCreationTool to download the latest build by having it use a special script instead of the one that is included with the Tool.

It isn't that hard, if you want to try.....

Reaction score
Well FCU was in the catalog the same day it was released so I assume SCU will be too, if my memory serves me well that was 6 months ago I could be wrong.
What was in the catalog, was the CU to 16299.19 and not the FCU 16299.15 . There is a slight difference.
What you got was this:
2017-10 Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1709 for x64-based Systems (KB4043961). THAT was in the catalog.
BTW: have you ever seen a new build in the size of a few hundred MB??

Reaction score
Where and How? I'm looking.....
The site linked explains the entire thing and why problems happened during the initial tries.

First, go to the bottom of the page and download the "Fixed Products.cab" file. Put that file in a folder.

Next, put MediaCreationTool.exe in the same folder.

Then use a command prompt to go to that folder and run the command below.

MediaCreationTool.exe /Selfhost

which will start the process to allow the download from Microsoft just as if you were doing a normal build. The Products.cab file replaces the normal script used and downloads the 17133 version. I did another install today using that .iso... everything seemed to go normally and the system finished the upgrade fine.

https://insidewindows.net/2018/04/0...installation-media-using-media-creation-tool/

Reaction score
What was in the catalog, was the CU to 16299.19 and not the FCU 16299.15 . There is a slight difference.
What you got was this:
2017-10 Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1709 for x64-based Systems (KB4043961). THAT was in the catalog.
BTW: have you ever seen a new build in the size of a few hundred MB??

Sure seems like I did but your probably correct I will either use MCT or the catalog to download and install SCU.

Reaction score
I have used the MCT from the FCU together with the products.cab and created my installation medium. It works flawless.
Here is what I did:
put the MCT and the products.cab (I attached it but had to zip it, the forum does not allow cab files) into a folder together. Then open a command prompt with admin privileges and type " mediacreationtool.exe /selfhost " (without the quotation marks) and on you go. It will create the latest Windows 10 build which is 1803_17133.1 .

Untitled.jpg

Attachments

• products.zip
    30.7 KB · Views: 293
Reaction score
I had 17133 installed on all machines that I manage except one. It has only been 2 weeks since 17134 released. And that one machine has been automatically updated. All because I didn't take time out of my day to manually update the machine myself. The only thing that would make me any more furious, is if the update had not gone smoothly.

The only option I have to put a stop to this is to kill Windows Update. I will start my rounds and turn off Windows Update on all the machines I manage. I didn't want it to come to this, but MS has left me with no choice. I am absolutely sick of not being able to control what my machines are downloading and consuming bandwidth.

Microsoft if you are reading this. You will never be able to update my systems again with out my consent. I don't care how insecure they become before I am ready to update.

Ask a Question