Regarding W10;

Reaction score
Basically the same thing, yes. Technical Preview is a pre-release version used for testing and fine tuning. As well as giving developers a jump start at developing on the new OS, other than buying a technet/msdn subscription.

Reaction score
I am considering downloading however, I thought it might be more prudent for "shake out period" to run it's course. I have a W7 SP1 on one laptop and W8.1 on the other.

Reaction score
Windows 10 is still in the development stage and may be subject to bugs and glitches. Although for the most part it is running without any major issues it should not be used as a primary computer or in any situation where a crash could jeopardize important data or work. Some people are running it in a virtual machine and dual booting and others have loaded it on a second machine. I used an empty SSD, removed the SSD with 8.1 on it and loaded Windows 10 on it so I can return to Win 8.1 simply by swapping hard drives.

Reaction score
Installed Win 10 Version 10074. Worked fine for two days but now my PC will not boot.
Monitor in standby and PC fan and hard drive working. Can't even go to bios setup. PC set to boot from USB drive.
Tried to use the USB with the ISO but nothing happens. Anyone know what I should do?

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Likely a device driver problem, probably video.
Try booting from installation media and use the repair, advanced troubleshooting options to see if there is a system restore point prior to the current problem date and time that you could possibly use

Reaction score
I presume you're referring to the CPU cooling fan that is not working. That would likely prevent your computer from booting since the CPU's protection circuit will shut it down almost immediately it it senses excess heat or a fan malfunction. Check the fan, connections and the power supply for any problems.

Reaction score
Now I'm confused?

So I'm wondering where the missing detail regarding the CPU cooling fan might have come from.

I'm only guessing that the PC fan Tashaa mentioned is the one on the CPU cooler. A chassis fan is not likely to create any boot problems. I'm not sure that Windows would have anything to do with a fan not working.

Reaction score
I'm only guessing that the PC fan Tashaa mentioned is the one on the CPU cooler. A chassis fan is not likely to create any boot problems. I'm not sure that Windows would have anything to do with a fan not working.

Did not mean to confuse anyone. I have a very noisy video card fan and can't hear if the hard drive is working
best I can do is see that the drive light on the chassis is blinking on and off, but the monitor stays on standby because it does not detect any video on the VGA connector. Like I said before, after installing the latest build everything seemed to work fine. I checked out the Windows 10 software for a while did a few things, shutdown, had a few issues which I reported that required me to reboot - rebooted several times with no problems.
I did a normal shutdown last night but this morning when I turned the PC on it does not boot at all.
I'm thinking of taking out the drive and formatting it on another computer and start over. Is that a good idea?

Reaction score
Did not mean to confuse anyone. I have a very noisy video card fan and can't hear if the hard drive is working
best I can do is see that the drive light on the chassis is blinking on and off, but the monitor stays on standby because it does not detect any video on the VGA connector. Like I said before, after installing the latest build everything seemed to work fine. I checked out the Windows 10 software for a while did a few things, shutdown, had a few issues which I reported that required me to reboot - rebooted several times with no problems.
I did a normal shutdown last night but this morning when I turned the PC on it does not boot at all.
I'm thinking of taking out the drive and formatting it on another computer and start over. Is that a good idea?

I did try to boot from the installation USB drive with the ISO. Same result- nothing!

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
I would think that if everything was working fine and now you presume that the computer is working with the exception of .... not displaying anything on the monitor, then you need to get back to the basics and see if the recent event is a coincidence.
Check the cable end to end.
If you have the ability to swap from HDMI to DVI or to VGA maybe try swapping. Sometimes the issue can be with the cable, other times it could be a port on the card or a port on the monitor itself.
Does the monitor display anything when you turn it off and on. Is the light on the monitor blue, or amber.

Reaction score
I guess you are using a stationery computer ?

If so, my instinct would be to try a "live" linux cd in the optical drive and see if that, at least, can boot up. This could narrow it down to a software problem although, from your comments, it certainly tends toward hardware.

How do you access the bios, on your machine? It varies from model to model.

Reaction score
I guess you are using a stationery computer ?

If so, my instinct would be to try a "live" linux cd in the optical drive and see if that, at least, can boot up. This could narrow it down to a software problem although, from your comments, it certainly tends toward hardware.

How do you access the bios, on your machine? It varies from model to model.

I access the bios by pressing F2. I tried this but it did not work. I'm faced with a blank screen. The monitor light goes from blue to amber(power saving mode) because there is no signal on its input. Could the new software have damaged the hardware?
I've had this computer for several years and 3 operating systems with no problems.
It does not boot from the hard drive or the USB stick. I'll try booting from the CD.

Reaction score
I access the bios by pressing F2. I tried this but it did not work. I'm faced with a blank screen. The monitor light goes from blue to amber(power saving mode) because there is no signal on its input. Could the new software have damaged the hardware?
I've had this computer for several years and 3 operating systems with no problems.
It does not boot from the hard drive or the USB stick. I'll try booting from the CD.

Good News! I openned the computer to check the internal cables without seeing anything wrong but as I turned the computer on - it booted!! I jiggled with the cables, video card and VGA cable to see if I could locate the problem but nothing was loose. Go figure! I know now that something is loose and will know where to look in the future.
Thank you all for your replys.

Reaction score
Hi everyone,
This is a followup on my previous problem of not being able to boot. I thought the problem was a loose connection in the computer but now I think I found what caused the problem. I wanted to test a new monitor. I connected the monitor turned on the computer and all was good. But I forgot that I did not have the mouse connected (I was using it somewhere else) so I did a hard shutdown. This morning when I connected the mouse and turned on the computer, the result was the same as before -NO BOOT. So I am thinking that the hard shutdown is the source of the problem. what so you guys think? Have any of you done a hard shutdown and had this problem? Is this an issue with Windows 10 not being able to boot after a hard shutdown?

Reaction score
Good morning tashaa. I suppose it is possible the hard shutdown could have caused a boot problem but I've had to do it countless times and have never caused any issues. As far as accessing the BIOS or UEFI you should be able to do that even if the computer won't boot into Windows. Sometimes it can be a bit tricky pressing the correct key at just the right time but I've found that continuously clicking the key as soon as you begin the reboot will get me into the BIOS. I have noticed something rather odd with this particular machine regarding booting from a CD/DVD. I have the DVD drive selected as the first boot priority but for unknown reasons the computer will not boot from a DVD until I access the UEFI, note that the DVD drive is still set as first priority, click save and exit and only then will I get an option to press any key to boot from the CD/DVD. You might try this with your setup.

Reaction score
Hi Dipsy,
I too have the CD/DVD as first boot drive, then the USB drive and lastly main hard drive. Like you I have done hard shutdown many times with previous versions of windows and never had a problem booting up. I'm asking if this is a problem with Windows 10. I could not get the computer to go to the Bios, the monitor displayed a black screen with no response to the F2 button.
It seems that I only have this problem when I do a hard shutdown. When I get it working again I will test this a few times to see if this is what is actually causing the problem. Wish me luck!

Ask a Question