Reinstalled Win 7 because of issue but no upgrade available, Will Win 10 ISO work

Reaction score
I have genuine Windows 7 pro which I upgraded to Windows 10 without any problems except for the fact the Boot MGR for some strange reason was on a my old blank 2 tb hard drive, the Windows installation however is on my 500gb SSD. I tried fixes for the Windows start to try and rebuild the Boot MGR onto my SSD but it didn't work. I decided I would re-install Windows 7 and reactivate it and download all the updates so that I could upgrade again.

I cannot seem to get the upgrade Icon again even after downloading all the necessary updates and service pack as per all the threads on the net. I also downloaded the Key 2 updates that are mentioned that can stop the upgrade icon appearing.

I have downloaded the Windows 10 ISO and I'm wondering If I re=install via the ISO will it work as Windows 10 was activated on this machine with the same hardware?

I'm trying to avoid re-installation if this method is futile.

Thanks

Last edited:

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
I have downloaded the Windows 10 ISO and I'm wondering If I re=install via the ISO will it work as Windows 10 was activated on this machine with the same hardware?
If your previous installation of Windows 10 was in fact "Activated" then you should have no issues, performing a custom clean install.
Just make sure that you do not attempt to enter any product key(s) during the process, at every prompt for a product key you will see a link to either "skip" or " do this later".
I can tell you that I have performed multiple clean installs on previously activated systems and they worked without issue.
I can also tell you that some people, for some reason have reported problems with activation after doing so......
I have no idea as to why.

Reaction score

Try it this way...................
Go to the Windows 10 ISO file you have downloaded > right click at it > click Mount > click Setup.exe.
Installation will begin.
This method allows you to keep your files, settings and apps.
It will NOT ask for product key.
Activation will be automatic.

I used the same method to install Win 10 Home and Win 10 Pro to my 2 laptops.

Ask a Question