SOLVED Reinstalling without OS

Reaction score
I have an Acer Aspire without an OS. It use to have Win 10 Pro before I lost everything. I have a system backup and a new SSD drive. How do I get my laptop working again? I have another post in here which explains all my troubles with 2004 Update as the subject.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
You'll need to boot from the installation media as if you were going to install.
After selecting your language and keyboard layout you'll see an opportunity to click on "Repair your computer"
RepairYourComputer.png

From there you'll need to navigate through until you get into Advanced Options
CommandPrompt.JPG

From there you should be able to select "System Image Recovery"
Good luck.

Reaction score
You'll need to boot from the installation media as if you were going to install.
After selecting your language and keyboard layout you'll see an opportunity to click on "Repair your computer"
View attachment 12153
From there you'll need to navigate through until you get into Advanced Options
View attachment 12154
From there you should be able to select "System Image Recovery"
Good luck.

Yup - sounds all well and good. Normal procedure. Should have worked. Didn't. I tried everything on the list above and every one of them sent me into a loop that I couldn't get out of. Can't tell you how many times I tried it over the past week. (Lots more info about my trials and tribulations under 2004 Update in this forum. )

I finally - finally - found an ISO for Windows 10 that worked. I now have Windows 10 Home on my machine and slowly I'm doing all the updates until I get a perfect ver 1909 working. I will NOT try 2004 yet since that is what got me into this situation in the first place! But I do want to get it back working with Windows 10 Pro 1909 which I had working before all this mess started.

Once before I tried taking Home to Pro and it crashed and sent me into loops no matter what I tried to do. I'm just hoping this time I get lucky and it actually works. That laptop has been a wonderful laptop and with today's prices I really don't want to replace it.

BTW. The latest Win 10 ISO off Microsoft sight didn't work (for me). I had to go back to one that I downloaded years ago.

Ask a Question