SOLVED Removing photos from Camera Roll?

Reaction score
In my OneDrive folder on my Surface, I have the usual subfolder called "Pictures" and within that I have the usual subfolder called "Cameral Roll". And of course I have these same folders in my OneDrive account at Outlook.com. I also have a folder called "Cameral Roll" on my Windows 10 Lumia, and this is set to automatically upload photos to my OneDrive - Cameral Roll folder at Outlook.com. And the same folders on my Surface are set to synchronize with the ones at Outlook.com.

There were 322 photos in the Cameral Roll folder on my phone. I wanted to get them off of my phone to free up space, but I did not want to lose them. So on my Surface, where the same 322 photos were located in the Cameral Roll folder (the setup is working - uploading and syncing - as it should), I transferred all but five photos out of the Cameral Roll folder on the Surface, to an Archive folder on the Surface, which is a new folder I created also inside the Pictures folder on the Surface. And now when I go to my OneDrive account at Outlook.com, sure enough there are only five photos in the Cameral Roll folder and a new Archive folder has appeared and it contains 317 photos as it should (Archive is inside Pictures and Pictures is set to sync between my Surface and OneDrive at Outlook.com). HOWEVER

When I go to my Windows 10 Lumia phone, the Camera Roll folder still shows all 322 photos! In "Settings" on my Lumia, I have the Collection View set to include OneDrive content from the Pictures folder only (the only other choice is All Folders) and in the settings on my phone where I can tell it the location where I want my pictures stored, there is only once choice, This Device.

So I am wondering why these photos still remain in Cameral Roll on my phone. I understand that "upload" is not sync! So I reason that in order to clean these photos off of my phone, I need to just delete them from Cameral Roll on my phone. I am just a little worried that by doing so, I may somehow lose them at Outlook.com. I can't imagine that would happen, since they are not in the Cameral Roll folder at Outlook.com anymore, so even if there WAS a sync between the phone and Outlook.com (which there really shouldn't be), the phone has no idea that the Archive folder even exists. I just thought I'd ask, before I deleted? Do you agree, I ought to be able to just trash these unwanted photos on my phone without losing them on the Cloud?

Also, a secondary question, I have three folders on the cloud where I have gathered a few special photos in each, as albums with a unified theme in each. I want these folders on my phone so I can show friends these photos. To get them there, I guess what I need to do is just attach my phone to my computer (Surface) which I have never done, using a USB cable, and then using the phone as an external hard drive, I should be able to just drag and drop the folders on the phone. Is this correct? Is there a file and folder system on the phone similar to Explorer and do I need to drop these folder into a specific location? Just in case it matters, I HAVE paired a previous Windows 8 phone with this Surface.
Thanks

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
I guess what I need to do is just attach my phone to my computer (Surface) which I have never done, using a USB cable, and then using the phone as an external hard drive, I should be able to just drag and drop the folders on the phone. Is this correct?
Yes that is correct.
in the settings on my phone where I can tell it the location where I want my pictures stored, there is only once choice, This Device.
Sounds like you could use an SD card in that phone.

Ask a Question