Removing the volume notification top left.

Reaction score
I really need a way to get rid of this notification every time I increase/decrease my volume.
55373d1451084709t-strange-immovable-icon-desktop-fn-volume-bar.jpg

I got Windows 10 about a week ago and I've lost count of how many times I've clicked on this box and turned my volume up to 100%, killing my ear drums. This needs to go and I can't find a way to get rid of it. It makes me want to go back to Windows 7 because my headphones are very loud from the start. I normally have it less than 10% when listening to youtube videos or music. The highest I've turned it up is about 28% for watching Netflix and even that can get too loud.

Regedit32

Reaction score
Hi iMod,

The Volume Box you are seeing was added in Windows 8, and is actioned via Fn 11 and Fn 12 keys.

There are options to modify the length of time it appears via Start | Settings | Ease of Access | Other Options (in the left pane) | Show Notifications (in the right pane).

To my knowledge Microsoft themselves have not released an official method of making it disappear, however there is a non Microsoft programmer who created a program that will hide this feature and if you choose, allow you the option to restore the normal speaker on your taskbar instead.

You can read about his program and the various choices it will give should you choose to try it. It can also be downloaded from this page: http://wordpress.venturi.de/?p=1#more-1

Note: If you choose to use this application do a virus scan before executing the download. It would also be wise to make a System Restore point before using this ( as a precaution ):
  • In search box type Create a restore point | press Enter
  • Select System Protection tab
  • Click Create button
  • Enter a name for your restore point then click the create button

Happy Computing.

Regedit32

Ask a Question