Right click to open context menu

Reaction score
When i click right on the desktop to open context menu it takes about 10 to 15 seconds for it to appear. Could i please get some help on that because it really annoys me, thank you for your advice.

Reaction score
Welcome aboard, Akula.

How long has this been happening? Is everything else working all right?

Reaction score
Thank you very much Vince Massi.

It started about a week ago and since it happened I have been looking for a solution and tried some that lead me to registry editor but not a single one of them worked. Also I have a problem with opening jpeg. files with windows photos app and keep getting a message "invalid value for registry" although i can easily open those files with other apps of that nature. Keep in mind that I havent changed a thing in the registry editor.

Reaction score
Thank you for the advice Regedit32, tried it but it couldn't detect a problem

Regedit32

Reaction score
Have you tried then to right-click on a JPG image you have, then select Open with, then select Choose another app, then select the Photo app you say you are using and make sure there is a checkmark next to Always use this app to open .JPG files

Reaction score
Yes, I tried and it is using that photo app as a default for opening JPG files but it doesn't want to open it. To make sure it isn't a problem with the JPG file I opened it with another app and it works properly but what I don't understand is why I can't open it with the default windows photo app.

Regedit32

Reaction score
There may be some expired references to the default settings held in your Registry. This can happen when some third party applications interfere with your normal day to day use of common applications [ in this case your Photo App ].

The other thing to remember is jpeg image files come in two flavors. image.jpg, but also image.jpeg and one of these may be somehow disassociated with your Photo app. Or as all ready said an expired reference may exist in the Registry.

What you could try is the following:
  • Right-click on Start
  • Left-click on Control Panel
  • In the Control Panel window left-click on Default Programs
  • In the window that opens left-click on Associate a file type or protocol with a program
  • In the next window scroll down to .jpeg and .jpg

Tip: To reduce scroll time click the first item in window then type .j quickly to jump to the .j section
You'll now be here:

File Associations.png

• I've placed a red box on image to point out the .jpeg and .jpg and also the Change Program box

You can see in my case Photos is my default app to open either a .jpg or .jpeg

• This may also be the case for you or you may have something else listed there. Either way we are going to purposely associate it with a different program, then re-associate it with Photo again to force Windows to re-write its Registry record of the setting which hopefully will resolve your issue.
  • Click on .JPEG to highlight as in above image, then click the Change Program button.

You'll now see something like this:
    Change Programs.png

Your list may appear different as I do not know what you have installed on your computer. As you can see in the image Photos is highlighted as this is currently the Default Program to open .jpeg files. Now I do know all Windows 10 users have Paint so click on Paint then click OK

• The above window will disappear and the previous Set Associations window will repopulate with the .jpeg now using Paint as its default program. Repeat what you just did but this time choose Photos (or the app you actually wanted to use) then click OK again.
  • Next left-click on .jpg then Change Programs and do the same two steps you just did for .jpeg
  • Now close the windows and any other open programs, then restart computer.

All going well when your computer restarts it will load the new Registry records you just forced on it, and you will be able to open those JPEGs.

Regards,

Regedit32

Reaction score
Thank you for the idea regedit32
So I tried what you said and I still keep getting the same message as before.
Capture.PNG

Ask a Question