SD card Prob

Reaction score
Having some weird problems with SD card. It's a MicroSD card in an adapter.
it has suddenly decided that it's a read-only card and cant add or delete anything anymore.
I know adapters have lock switches but that hasn't been touched and double-checked that its set to unlocked.
Tried everything but it just won't unlock stays read only
I'm baffled

Reaction score
Sometimes, if the card adapter is inserted into the reader, the lock activates. Happened to me once before. I took a piece of tape and secured the switch in the unlock position.
It is also possible that the adapter is faulty. Does your card reader have a slot for micro SD eventually??
Can you try the card with adapter in a different reader just to rule out a defective reader...

Reaction score
Sometimes, if the card adapter is inserted into the reader, the lock activates. Happened to me once before. I took a piece of tape and secured the switch in the unlock position.
It is also possible that the adapter is faulty. Does your card reader have a slot for micro SD eventually??
Can you try the card with adapter in a different reader just to rule out a defective reader...
I've had that happen a couple times too.

Reaction score

Yes normally would have done that. But I am travelling at the moment and in Medellin Colombia for a couple of months. For travel I use a cheap Lap so if its stolen or something, dont matter too much. So on this cheap one dont have micro slot. I expect its the adapter they can be a bit fickle at times. Guess just gave to forget about for now and try it on my other Laptop when I get back home.

Reaction score
Did you safely remove the SD card from other laptops/PC's?, it may be locked to a different device if you didn't!. :) :)

Reaction score
Did you safely remove the SD card from other laptops/PC's?, it may be locked to a different device if you didn't!. :) :)
No, its been in the laptop for ages never been used in others, Like I said probably dodgy adaptor, some aint to reliable Best to have actual Micro slot really, but the Lap does not.

Reaction score
Did you check in Computer Management > Storage > Disk Management to see if it shows up there?. :)

1582298166676.png

Reaction score
@Wolfie
in the OT ro2124 said:
it has suddenly decided that it's a read-only card and cant add or delete anything anymore.
that means the card will appear in the device manager as removable medium.
Since it has never been anywhere else but this computer, I have to agree with his conclusion about the shaky adapter. I have been myself gone through many of the "very cheap" adapters myself but mine usually has the card unreadable.

Reaction score
yeah tried all that shows ok in Disk manage, problem is not reading it, just cant add or delete as its locked.
Reckon its just a dodgy adaptor, as Grizzly also said.

Reaction score
I've found some microsd cards are just flaky. I've got a lexar 32g that I can't format or change the name, and it has about 3gig of security videos that can't be erased. I can add files and erase them, but not the frozen 3 gig. I've used every tool in the box, including some 3rd party software, but I guess it's got a serious fault that can't be fixed.

Reaction score
To add, if the card is to be used in a camera it's best to reformat in the camera to assure it can be used there.

I've resurrected a couple of SDHC cards and a few USB Thumb drives using GPARTED in one of my Linux machines when Windows couldn't do it.

Ask a Question