SOLVED Self boot up

Reaction score
since installing Windows 10 the computer boots up by itself, as I am not that much into computers the only way I can stop this happening is to unplug the main power cable after powering off. Any ideas anybody?

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Hi Chris,

Can you try unplugging USB devices and see if it still happens? It could be that something is triggering boot inadvertently, so removing peripherals to test this is a good first step. Include temporarily removing the keyboard/mouse USB cables, as they may part of the problem.

If that stops it, then we can look at how to prevent the BIOS from accepting power triggers from USB devices. Otherwise, we'll see what else can be the cause :).

Reaction score
Thanks for that, I'll see how goes over the next few days as there is no constant time period to it happening

Reaction score
You might also try disconnecting it from the network.

Are you saying it is booting from an unpowered state? Newer systems may have that capability and if turning off the ability for Networking devices to wake the system it might take a bios option.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Perhaps a quick look, using a command prompt and typing
powercfg -lastwake
might reveal something.

Reaction score
For Saltgrass, yes it's booting from an unpowered state but I'm not on a network and this has only happened since the windows 10 upgrade. For Noob Whisperer, without specific instructions your suggestion has gone straight over my head, sorry.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
For Noob Whisperer, without specific instructions your suggestion has gone straight over my head, sorry.
In the event that, in some way a "wake timer / event" might be responsible for your issue (only guessing)....
Right click the start button and choose from the context menu Command Prompt (Admin) and in the command prompt window type
powercfg -lastwake
If you see, as a result
Wake History Count - 0
Then I'm off base and you can disregard my post.

Reaction score
Hi Chris,

Can you try unplugging USB devices and see if it still happens? It could be that something is triggering boot inadvertently, so removing peripherals to test this is a good first step. Include temporarily removing the keyboard/mouse USB cables, as they may part of the problem.

If that stops it, then we can look at how to prevent the BIOS from accepting power triggers from USB devices. Otherwise, we'll see what else can be the cause :).

Hi Ian, made no difference

Reaction score
In the event that, in some way a "wake timer / event" might be responsible for your issue (only guessing)....
Right click the start button and choose from the context menu Command Prompt (Admin) and in the command prompt window type
powercfg -lastwake
If you see, as a result
Wake History Count - 0
Then I'm off base and you can disregard my post.
hi Noob Whisperer, tried command prompt and got the reply, Wake History Count -1, Wake History (0), Wake Source Count -0. What ever that means?

Reaction score
Is the system a work computer which may have some type of enterprise utility installed?

My system has a Trusted Platform Module installed (Device Manager/Security devices) but it is a personal system so no company is watching it. Such a configuration gives a company the ability to access the system using its own network connection if that ability was configured.

Reaction score
I suppose I am at a loss trying to explain a system starting up being caused by the OS alone. But before you shut it down again, go to settings and updates and check for and install any updates it finds. Perhaps it will stay asleep if it doesn't need to do those updates.

Things in the Task Scheduler usually only wake a computer and not start it. So I would not think that would be involved.

The other thing, which is not related to the OS is the power supply system. Perhaps if the wall power was deficient or a cable was loose or even some power related issue in the power supply or motherboard might be able to allow a condition which may start a system.

We can assume this is a desktop system?

Ask a Question