Setting default "Folder Icon" Preview/Thumbnail

Reaction score
Hey guys,

Just wondering if there's a way to set a default picture to the thumbnail of a folder (usually set by Right-click folder -> Properties -> Customize -> Folder Pictures box -> Choose File). I have a lot of image folders for photos I have taken on holidays etc, and would like this to be automatically set to the first file in the folder.

Is this at all possible or do I have to manually set it for each and every folder. (I Don't mind using a 3rd party program if you know one)

Thanks in advance!

Data

Chief Operations Officer
Reaction score
Welcome to forums sean94

As far as Im aware you can only set that manually.

You can set content type per folder but thats its.

Regedit32

Reaction score
Hi sean94,

Got to be honest here - but Folder icons is not really my thing :)

This Microsoft link though has a PowerShell script on it that can be used to set icons.

It may not exactly what you want, but perhaps it will inspire you, if you happen to be familiar with coding.

https://gallery.technet.microsoft.com/scriptcenter/Set-FolderIcon-0bd56629

If push comes to shove I might be persuaded into coding a basic script to use the first image of a folder or its sub-folder and set that as the default folder icon / preview.

Regards,

Regedit32

Ask a Question