SOLVED Should User Account name & PC name be the same

Reaction score
So in pc settings/system/about - I changed Dell’s given name to something personal. Should though the User Account name be the same?
Its a variation of my Microsoft email address. Also, I noticed when I open the C drive I see 3 user names - a shorten version of the User Account name (which seems odd), default & public.

in terms of a bit of house cleaning should not all 3 have same name or am I just being too picky (is it safe to use the 4 letter word that starts with “a” and ends in “l”?

thx.

Reaction score
Hi Seth,

you can name your computer whatever you want, it doesn't matter, I would not use the same name for the PC and the user though!.

If you have extra user accounts on the computer, you can delete them but make sure that your main account is "Admin" and that you save any files the other accounts may have to a storage device because you may lose them!. ;)

See also.

How to Rename Your PC in Windows 10: 10 Steps (with Pictures) (wikihow.com)

Reaction score
Great. Thx.
what about the Default user name in the c drive (in My pc)? Move any needed items to my user name and delete the default?

Reaction score
Yes, just make sure that whichever account you choose to keep is made admin first!. ;)

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
I don't believe it is a good idea to delete either the Public or Default user accounts.
I suspect it will likely have unintended consequences.

Reaction score
I would hazard the same. They do no harm and only use a minimum of hd space

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Exactly, AND....
The "Default User" it a basic template that is used whenever a new user is created.
The "Public User" I believe is intended as a location where all users have access and as such can provide a general repository for files that users can share with each other if they choose to do so.

Reaction score
I only have 1 user account on all my computers, if the other accounts weren't created by the main user of the computer (he is unsure as to where the other accounts came from!, see post #1), it is safe to delete them as long as any data saved to that account is backed up and the remaining account is set as admin!. :)

See also (not a great deal of info but a good starting point!).

Random account appeared on login to my computer - Microsoft Community

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
I only have 1 user account on all my computers
That's not unusual.
I suspect that many of us have the same or similar config, but....
IF you look in C:\Users
You'll likely see a folder for Public as well as Default.
They are constructs that exist to facilitate other functions and features (not actual "users")

He also asked about the shortened name....
That also is typical
IF your chosen user name is longer than 5 characters such as (e-mail address removed)
MS will likely grab the first five character Someb and create your profile folder with that name.

Reaction score
Thx. In case the default and public have a purpose will leave alone. But will ck to make sure not taking up a lot of storage.

Thx also for user name- 5 chatacter - explanation.

Reaction score
Hi Seth,

just to make people aware, when installing a software app, always click on "Allow for all users" (unless you specifically want to lock a user out for whatever reason like child proofing as an example!).

If you do remove a user and it (the software app) has been installed for that particular user, there might well be problems down the line. Hence my remarks about backing up all data from the various user accounts should there be several on your own PC!. :)

Reaction score
? Missed on that one? Where does that option popup?

When needed (for games for visiting family etc) I have always put the executives in the "All Users" folder. Is there a click option to do it automatically?.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Some application installers have that option as part of the installation process.
I haven't seen it recently, but I remember seeing it not all that long ago.
As I recall, it was just two radio button you could toggle between All Users or This User Only
OR
Something along those lines.

Reaction score
I would wager it doesn't matter at all unless you are preparing a public machine. Public machines are the ones that require security measures.

Reaction score
The select a single user or all users doesn't happen with all installers, some have it and some don't!. ;)

Reaction score
Hi Seth,

just to make people aware, when installing a software app, always click on "Allow for all users" (unless you specifically want to lock a user out for whatever reason like child proofing as an example!).

If you do remove a user and it (the software app) has been installed for that particular user, there might well be problems down the line. Hence my remarks about backing up all data from the various user accounts should there be several on your own PC!. :)
Yes - I always choose the allow for all option

Reaction score
Seth. Sorry, I don't want to go off the thread topic, but that point is obsessing me!!
Where are you finding, and in which installation, that option -- ....All users""?

Reaction score
Hi Seth,

Yes, i always choose the allow a
Seth. Sorry, I don't want to go off the thread topic, but that point is obsessing me!!
Where are you finding, and in which installation, that option -- ....All users""?
was responding in the general sense in that most times when installing new software, there is an option to select "Allow for all users"

Ask a Question