Sign in problem

Reaction score
Today I got an update(s) and selected update and restart. When I came back maybe 30 minutes later I fired it up and it wouldn’t log in using facial recognition. Left click brings up the WIFI fan and power button in the lower right and sign in options in the center. Shut down prompts a warning about others losing their work. I can logon using my PIN. I’ve gone to settings, deleted and replaced my picture for facial recognition. Still doesn’t logon using my face,

Reaction score
A system which warns about losing the work of others thinks there is more than one user...

Does it have two users and if not, perhaps a user profile situation is involved.

Can you still use your password?

We don't know which update you are referring to since there was a small one yesterday.

I have seen comments on line from folks who lost their fingerprint ability and in some cases even the PIN would not work. Right now, if your password works you might try backing out and redoing the entire PIN and Windows Hello.

Reaction score
I have a guest account on an old Dell I let my grand daughter use. It’s running Win 7 and has access to the home network. The new PC never prompted about other users before the update. Only one user account on the Win10; I did remove and re-install facial recognition with the same results.

Reaction score
Windows Hello worked fine until I shut down; then Windows Hello quit again. Another system restore and it worked again. Not hopeful for it tomorrow morning.

Reaction score
I went to Microsoft chat and the agent had me go to settings, windows updates, and in properties set to disable. Then I was asked to click on a link that I guess was going to back out of the update that caused the problem. When clicked on it my chat session closed and was lost. The link never opened and disappeared also. That was the second time the chat session crashed. The first time I was able to find it and contacted the agent. The second time no such luck.

Reaction score
HI Michael,

could it be a driver problem?. What make and model computer is it and have you checked their website for driver updates for W10?. :)

Reaction score
Since I last posted I called Microsoft and they did a reinstall of Win 10. Still the same problem. Windows Hello recognizes me and goes to a blank screen of wallpaper. Left click brings up sign in options and I get in using my pin. I've tried local and Windows account login.

Reaction score
Hi Michael,

if I were you, I would run the installer and select "Upgrade", you will have to re-install your apps but your docs/pics etc. will be in a folder called Windows.old, as long as you don't format the C:/ drive!.

I have no idea what the problem could be and an upgrade install will wipe the system clean (apart from your files as long as you select "Upgrade"!. :)

See also (The part about the Media Creation Tool):

https://www.windows10forums.com/thr...ws-10-to-the-latest-version.13015/#post-73822 ;)

Ask a Question