"Some Settings are missing or managed by your organization"

Reaction score
Windows Update.jpg
So OK, this irritating statement is listed at the top of my Windows update page on my laptop. its not on my desktop, and both have the same OS and same Version installed Creator Pro, all settings as far as I can tell are the same, even checking gpedit.msc and the "telemetry" settings.

I have no idea at this point why this is showing up on the laptop and not the desktop, nor how to get rid of it.

Other than the irritating red statement being there, everything else seems to work OK, well one other item is also not the same, the Windows Defender on the desktop has a health report and the Device Performance and Health icon has a green check, the laptop is gray but does say "no action needed" and no health report, and can't find any way to make it run one.

So the Question is, anybody know why this is showing up on the laptop, even configured the same as the desktop? and a way to clear this thing up? It just irritates me to no end :)

Last edited:
Reaction score
I have the same message. But I had edited the group policy so that it would notify me of updates, but not download or install them. Of course with the Creators Update, that option isn't the same. Yet the message remains.

Are you sure you didn't tweak the registry, or have some 3rd party program make changes to the way you receive updates?

Regedit32

Reaction score
Hi Hoody,

It appears some users experience a bug whiles others do not when it comes to this specific issue you raised.

To resolve this you have a couple of options:

Option 1 — Using Group Policy Editor
  • Right-click on Start and select Run
  • In the Run dialog type gpedit.msc then click OK
  • If prompted by the User Account Control click Yes
  • In the left pane of the Local Group Policy Editor navigate to this location:
Computer Configuration
— Administrative Templates
— Windows Components
Data and Preview Builds
  • Left-click on Data and Preview Builds to view content in right pane
  • In the right pane double-left-click on Allow Telemetry
  • Check the radio button next to Enabled and select 3. Full then click OK
  • Close the Local Group Policy Editor
  • Restart computer
  • Open the Local Group Policy Editor and return to Allow Telemetry pane
  • This time Disable and click OK then close the Local Group Policy Editor again.
  • Restart Computer
  • Done
Option 2 — Using Registry via Elevated Command Prompt
  • Press the Windows key + S key
  • In the Search / Cortana field type comm
  • In search results right-click on Command Prompt and select Run as administrator
  • Click Yes when User Account Control prompts you
  • In the Administrator: Command Prompt console type or copy & paste the following:
Code:
REG QUERY "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\DataCollection"

Press Enter key

Do you see AllowTelemetry in the results? If you do it will have one of four Data values:
0x0 ..... [Security]
0x1 ..... [Basic]
0x2 ..... [Enhanced]
0x3 ..... [Full]
If AllowTelemetry is present and does not have the 0x3 Data value then type or copy & paste the following:

Code:
REG QUERY "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\DataCollection" /v AllowTelemetry /t REG_DWORD /d 3 /f

Press Enter key

Code:
REG DELETE "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\DataCollection" /v AllowTelemetry /f

Press Enter key

Close command console and any other open applications then restart computer. Done!

If AllowTelemetry is present and contains Data value 0x3 then type or copy & paste the following:

Code:
REG DELETE "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\DataCollection" /v AllowTelemetry /f

Press Enter key

Close command console and any other open applications then restart computer. Done!

Regards,

Regedit32

Reaction score
Hi Hoody,

It appears some users experience a bug whiles others do not when it comes to this specific issue you raised.

To resolve this you have a couple of options:

Option 1 — Using Group Policy Editor
  • Right-click on Start and select Run
  • In the Run dialog type gpedit.msc then click OK
  • If prompted by the User Account Control click Yes
  • In the left pane of the Local Group Policy Editor navigate to this location:
Computer Configuration
— Administrative Templates
— Windows Components
Data and Preview Builds
  • Left-click on Data and Preview Builds to view content in right pane
  • In the right pane double-left-click on Allow Telemetry
  • Check the radio button next to Enabled and select 3. Full then click OK
  • Close the Local Group Policy Editor
  • Restart computer
  • Open the Local Group Policy Editor and return to Allow Telemetry pane
  • This time Disable and click OK then close the Local Group Policy Editor again.
  • Restart Computer
  • Done
Option 2 — Using Registry via Elevated Command Prompt
  • Press the Windows key + S key
  • In the Search / Cortana field type comm
  • In search results right-click on Command Prompt and select Run as administrator
  • Click Yes when User Account Control prompts you
  • In the Administrator: Command Prompt console type or copy & paste the following:
Code:
REG QUERY "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\DataCollection"

Press Enter key

Do you see AllowTelemetry in the results? If you do it will have one of four Data values:
0x0 ..... [Security]
0x1 ..... [Basic]
0x2 ..... [Enhanced]
0x3 ..... [Full]
If AllowTelemetry is present and does not have the 0x3 Data value then type or copy & paste the following:

Code:
REG QUERY "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\DataCollection" /v AllowTelemetry /t REG_DWORD /d 3 /f

Press Enter key

Code:

Press Enter key

If AllowTelemetry is present and contains Data value 0x3 then type or copy & paste the following:

Code:

Press Enter key

Regards,

Regedit32

So OK, as I said at the start of my message, I had already gone through the GPEDIT.MSC thing, I did it again anyway cause the other times I din't restart after each change, this time I did restart, than changed it to disable and did a full cold reboot, item still there.

I ran the 2nd option
Code:

came back : The system was unable to find the specified registry key or value.

So thanks for the reply and trying to help. But no change has occurred at all. I'm sure this thing must be located some where in the reg.

btw I also read the same post on other "windows" site (which I'm banned for "life" , btw say yo to Brink for me :) , smirk, )

Reaction score
Creator's Update
Option 1 - does nothing for me.

Option 2A - Invalid syntax
Option 2B - Invalid syntax
Never got to 3C & 3D

Navigating, there is a Dword=0
Set Dword= 0
Reboot, no change.

You can do the same thing a lot easier with a few clicks of Spybot Anti-Beacon (from Safer Networking).
It doesn't remove the red message, either.

Reaction score
I might just go ahead and re update with the ISO, after I image what I have, and see what it does. (not "clean" install" ) I still have an issue with that Defender health report thing too.

Reaction score
I might just go ahead and re update with the ISO, after I image what I have, and see what it does. (not "clean" install" ) I still have an issue with that Defender health report thing too.
Both are known by Microsoft, you'll have to wait for them to fix it. Reinstalling won't help.
BTW, Look under Advanced Options on the page you show. See if Current Branch is selected, but greyed out. If it is, it's exactly like one of mine. That's the only setting the message is referring to. Fixed on Current Branch is fine, so I don't care.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Both are known by Microsoft, you'll have to wait for them to fix it. Reinstalling won't help.
BTW, Look under Advanced Options on the page you show. See if Current Branch is selected, but greyed out. If it is, it's exactly like one of mine. That's the only setting the message is referring to. Fixed on Current Branch is fine, so I don't care.

yeah I seen where MS knows these things are bugs, I hope they got enough feed back by now to get yet another one of their famous "cumulative updates" out soon :)

Funny though that this isn't a problem on my old desktop, has the exact same OS, same version, and same Security Suite, (both desktop and laptop are HP)

As for Current Branch, its not grayed, there is another option under that that says "Current Branch for Business"

Its all good...... at least the thing runs :)

Last edited:

Regedit32

Reaction score
The Registry location I gave you in previous post is the only location you can manually add or remove the AllowTelemetry. You could try checking the HKEY Current User, but it would be odd to muck around there in this instance, unless your computer is running on a Domain and policies are intended for a specific user only.

If you're keen though to review the full Registry and/or Policy files affected when editing either manually or automatically, then download the spreadsheet from Microsoft here:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=25250

Regarding, you additional comment about 'the other website' you say you are banned from; no idea what you are talking about. The information I provided you is taken from Microsoft's TechNet articles on this issue, where they describe the various Telemetries available for all editions of Windows.

If your changes are not sticking per se that would imply somehow that SYSYTEM or NT Authority \ TrustedInstaller has some kind of grip on the Policy - perhaps intentionally from Microsoft, or as suggested owing to a bug. It's possible the issue is not so much the Registry but rather the datacollection.admx file.

Regards,

Regedit32

Reaction score
The Registry location I gave you in previous post is the only location you can manually add or remove the AllowTelemetry. You could try checking the HKEY Current User, but it would be odd to muck around there in this instance, unless your computer is running on a Domain and policies are intended for a specific user only.

If you're keen though to review the full Registry and/or Policy files affected when editing either manually or automatically, then download the spreadsheet from Microsoft here:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=25250

Regarding, you additional comment about 'the other website' you say you are banned from; no idea what you are talking about. The information I provided you is taken from Microsoft's TechNet articles on this issue, where they describe the various Telemetries available for all editions of Windows.

If your changes are not sticking per se that would imply somehow that SYSYTEM or NT Authority \ TrustedInstaller has some kind of grip on the Policy - perhaps intentionally from Microsoft, or as suggested owing to a bug. It's possible the issue is not so much the Registry but rather the datacollection.admx file.

Regards,

Regedit32

Yeah OK, no problem , I've pretty much looked into it as much as I want now, its not a big enough issue to get all that wrapped up over, its just annoying as heck, the system runs as expected otherwise.

the other item is cause I "thought" I seen the same thing posted when I was looking at the "other" site, by what looked like the same avatar, if it wasn't you, disregard. I've seen these same instructions posted on several searches anyway.

May as well let it ride for now. thanks for posting a reply.

Data

Chief Operations Officer
Reaction score
@Hoody

I dont really have anything to contribute as @Regedit32 covered this pretty much.

But you wouldn't have happened to have used some 3rd party tools that either modified the installation or made tweaks or customized something, have you?

Last edited:

Regedit32

Reaction score
I "thought" I seen the same thing posted when I was looking at the "other" site

No problem. I only post on this Forum, although I have posted a few things on TechNet site in the past; not recently though. I did join the Microsoft Community Forum, but that is over-run by whinges and people offering *googled* solutions that often have little to do with the question even asked, so I don't bother visiting there any longer. It is ironic they google solutions rather than Bing though :confused:

If another site has the same information I assume they like me read the Microsoft TechNet sites, as it is Microsoft who provide details on these matters which allow the end user to make modifications when necessary, or for testing purposes for those running pre-released distros of Windows 10.

It's pretty difficult to get banned from this site. The rules are basic to follow, so stick around and who knows, perhaps someone will come up with a solution in time.

When I get a chance I may do some modifications in the datacollection.admx file myself and see if I can either replicate this issue you have or spot anything obvious that would trigger it. If I come across anything of interest I'll update here on this thread to let you know.

Reaction score
No problem. I only post on this Forum, although I have posted a few things on TechNet site in the past; not recently though. I did join the Microsoft Community Forum, but that is over-run by whinges and people offering *googled* solutions that often have little to do with the question even asked, so I don't bother visiting there any longer. It is ironic they google solutions rather than Bing though :confused:

If another site has the same information I assume they like me read the Microsoft TechNet sites, as it is Microsoft who provide details on these matters which allow the end user to make modifications when necessary, or for testing purposes for those running pre-released distros of Windows 10.

It's pretty difficult to get banned from this site. The rules are basic to follow, so stick around and who knows, perhaps someone will come up with a solution in time.

When I get a chance I may do some modifications in the datacollection.admx file myself and see if I can either replicate this issue you have or spot anything obvious that would trigger it. If I come across anything of interest I'll update here on this thread to let you know.

Thanks again for the reply, I'll look forward to anything you find. I almost decided to just delete the whole post

as for banning, lol, I wasn't looking to get that here lolol. I wasn't expecting it on the other one either, and for sure not "for life" lol, I can still browse the forum there, but no longer post.

Reaction score
"I did join the Microsoft Community Forum, but that is over-run by whinges and people offering *googled* solutions that often have little to do with the question even asked, so I don't bother visiting there any longer. It is ironic they google solutions rather than Bing though :confused:"

It is a common syndrome on several of the MS sites/forums. The answers seem to be stereotyped, in many instances, with, apparently, no scanning of the original request. I have also given up even clicking in to them.

Reaction score
@Hoody, Will I get an answer o my curious George question?

smirk.... okyyyy, but the question seemed a bit "illogical" lol, 3rd party programs don't have anything to set for windows updating, unless your blocking your connection to the web. This is something IN windows itself buddy.

Data

Chief Operations Officer
Reaction score
I asked because the only way to duplicate the issue you reported was to use 3rd party tools that blocked data collection and telemetry. Even if the hosts file for instance was modified without your knowledge.

Could you post the contents of C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc\hosts

You could have installed something that did something without your knowledge, there is no way for this to happen otherwise IMO especially if you ran through the steps that @Regedit32 kindly provided, there must be something counteracting them.
Even firewalls who knows.

All else failing consider letting Microsoft fix the issue for you via RDP or like you said, let it ride.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Try this:

Open "Settings" - "Privacy" - "Feedback & diagnostics" - "Diagnostics and usage data" it is probably set to "Basic". Change it to "Enhanced" or higher, The message may then disappear

Reaction score
Try this:

Open "Settings" - "Privacy" - "Feedback & diagnostics" - "Diagnostics and usage data" it is probably set to "Basic". Change it to "Enhanced" or higher, The message may then disappear
doesn't change/work

Reaction score
I asked because the only way to duplicate the issue you reported was to use 3rd party tools that blocked data collection and telemetry. Even if the hosts file for instance was modified without your knowledge.

Could you post the contents of C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc\hosts

You could have installed something that did something without your knowledge, there is no way for this to happen otherwise IMO especially if you ran through the steps that @Regedit32 kindly provided, there must be something counteracting them.
Even firewalls who knows.

All else failing consider letting Microsoft fix the issue for you via RDP or like you said, let it ride.

not sure you know what your looking for, but here it is ....... same as they were before installing the creator update.

Image1.gif

Ask a Question