"Some Settings are missing or managed by your organization"

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Me thinks he meant the actual "hosts" file itself.
IF opened in notepad usually looks something like this
# Copyright (c) 1993-2009 Microsoft Corp.
#
# This is a sample HOSTS file used by Microsoft TCP/IP for Windows.
#
# This file contains the mappings of IP addresses to host names. Each
# entry should be kept on an individual line. The IP address should
# be placed in the first column followed by the corresponding host name.
# The IP address and the host name should be separated by at least one
# space.
#
# Additionally, comments (such as these) may be inserted on individual
# lines or following the machine name denoted by a '#' symbol.
#
# For example:
#
# 102.54.94.97 rhino.acme.com # source server
# 38.25.63.10 x.acme.com # x client host

# localhost name resolution is handled within DNS itself.
# 127.0.0.1 localhost
# ::1 localhost

Data

Chief Operations Officer
Reaction score
@Hoody I meant the contents of the hosts file...

FYI that file is way to big 435KB it has tons of entries, as I suspected it has been modified, please open it and post the full contents.

Me thinks he meant the actual "hosts" file itself.

Yes that was my suspicion as well. In fact I suspect many things not just this.

Reaction score
@Hoody I meant the contents of the hosts file...

FYI that file is way to big 435KB it has tons of entries, as I suspected it has been modified, please open it and post the full contents.

Yes that was my suspicion as well. In fact I suspect many things not just this.

?? that's not what you asked the first time guy, , I posted what you asked the first time..........

anyway I checked the last hosts file one with the backup and all is the same, so not going to bother at this point, I see no need to post more info than needed on my system here.. I'm done at this point, will wait to see what happens in a while, I'm not the only one with this issue, maybe somebody else wants to post their host file that has this issue and have it "looked" at, but I doubt its got anything to do with this.

Time to go to the gym anyway :)............

Data

Chief Operations Officer
Reaction score
The backup and the actual file have been modified!

I see the problem now... Good luck and farewell.

/unsubscribed from thread.

Reaction score
Well just for the heck of it after this data mentioned hosts file, I decided to OK, give it a shot, what else can it do, I had a 98.7% chance it May have some effect. So I copied the hosts from my desktop, (which is only 1k) that doesn't have this message and is running fine, over to the laptop just to satisfy my curiosity, and gee, "no change" at all the statement is still there. So it wouldn't have mattered what he saw, or would have said to change/del or "replace the hosts". Maybe it would have been easier to just say rename your hosts file and replace it with a different one. Or just let it create a new one, that way there would be no need to post it for review.

so scratch another "fix"

I see data left the bridge, I guess capt Picard sent him off and pulled his power chip :)
VulcanHand.GIF

Just because people don't just go along with every "experts" suggestion doesn't mean we don't respect the posts. However they also need to understand some of us know enough to "check" things, so as long as our reply's are also taken in a respectful way we can all get along

Reaction score
Been trying to find just where this wording even comes from, I mean it has to be stored someplace in the system. Either the registry in some key, or some system32 dll. It can't just appear out of thin air like magic. Although it seems you need magic to get rid of the damned thing. Maybe if it can be located it can be edited manually.

Any idea from some developer type on site?

Reaction score
I couldn't find where the wording comes from, either. Decided to install a pre-CU image, then perform an upgrade again & see if the message was gone & it is gone. Have to leave the computer on for a longer time to see if the message comes back.

BTW, the same thing happened on an earlier Insider Build & the message finally went away on it's own.

Reaction score
Looks to me like it is saying you are on a metered connection.... At least that paragraph is where the asterisk lies.

Reaction score
I couldn't find where the wording comes from, either. Decided to install a pre-CU image, then perform an upgrade again & see if the message was gone & it is gone. Have to leave the computer on for a longer time to see if the message comes back.

BTW, the same thing happened on an earlier Insider Build & the message finally went away on it's own.
Lol, sounds like a plan buddy, I'm actually doing the same thing, just made an image though, gota stay safe :).

First I'm just running the installer over the system, it may just refresh some stuff, if that doesn't work I'll recover my 8.1 image and "start over". This is nuts that MS couldn't give people a resolution for this annoying thing.

Reaction score
Man o man, lol, been having fun since Friday night, almost non stop with this thing.

After I went through that in house update using the install USB stick, it did clean the thing, went to the privacy tab, for some reason clicked on the "manage my info that's stored on the cloud",,,,, well golly g, the dumb statement re appeared. So now I was right back where I was.

Decided to restore the 1st image I had made right after the creator update, didn't remember if it had the statement., well,,, it did. So recovered my last W10 Redstone image.

It was clean, so went and updated all programs and av definitions, and did a new image.

Now I'm in the process of letting it update via WU, when done, and it's clear of that stuff, I'll leave it, and stay away from clicking on that privacy link, smirk, lol. If it stays gone by not clicking that link great.

Anyone who may have a test system and wants to test this, be my guest, if it can be duplicated, than I've found the culprit :l.

Had to use my phone to post, dsl is slow and only lets me use one connection at a time.

Ask a Question