Sony VAIO VPCS111FM screen dim after upgrade from Windows 7 to 10

Reaction score
Just upgraded last night, and everything's great! -- except the screen is dimmer than I'd like, and I can't brighten it.

Oddly enough, the screen is not dim when first starting and displaying the VAIO insignia, then the Windows insignia. When the wait circle first appears is when it becomes dim. So it doesn't seem to be a hardware problem.

I've tried restarting. I've adjusted the system brightness (Start button > settings) to maximum. I've adjusted control panel (now a "Desktop app")> display > brightness to maximum, and power options > edit plan settings plan brightness to maximum. The brightness doesn't actually change when I slide the brightness adjuster.

I can brighten the screen by right-clicking on the desktop and opening "graphics properties", which opens Intel Graphics & Media. However, this creates a washed-out appearance, and the default setting is most desirable, dim as it is.

If anyone else was able to solve this problem, I'd be grateful to hear the solution!

Reaction score
Just resolved the problem by reverting back to Windows 7. Disappointing, but kudos to Microsoft for a quick, easy return to Windows 7.

Reaction score
I opened "settings" from the start menu, and it was in one of the submenus. I can't recall which one.

Reaction score
I found the answer on the website Jing2x87 http://www.sevenforums.com , and
succeeded

You have to edit registry key FeatureTestControl in:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\Class\{4d36e968-e325-11ce-bfc1-08002be10318}\0001 (OR 0000)

edit hexadecimal into fb20. It worked for me using Intel i3 core and should work for any intel graphics.

If NVIDIA the hexadecimal code is fb60

or try f900

Reaction score
FOR WIN 10:
This is the solution that worked for my Sony E-Series VPCEH26EA:
(note: onscreen display may not show feedback for dimming changes, but will work correctly!)
Install OEM drivers in this order, restarting between each:
1) Sony Firmware Extension Parser Device Driver - v8.0.1.2
2) Sony Shared Library - v5.9.0.01220
3) Setting Utility Series - v5.0.0.08060
4) VAIO Event Service - v5.0.0.08040 or v5.2.0.15020
5) VAIO Control Centre - v6.0.5.10150

Ask a Question