SOLVED SONY VAIO SVZ problem with Synaptics Touchpad driver

Reaction score

It was only some days ago, and and after a long wait that finally SONY published their compatibility results for WIN 10.

For my SVZ1311C5E they specifically note that ‘’Touchpad may stop responding after PC resumes from sleep or hibernation mode.’’

Have tried the latest Synaptics WIN 10 PS/2 and SMBus devices v19.0.19.1, but it does not fix the problem.

Always a Windows fan, I now love WIN 10, but it’s very annoying and mostly unproductive not to be able to use Sleep and Hibernate modes

ANY HOPE of this issue been addressed in the future, either by Microsoft or Synaptics?

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
ANY HOPE of this issue been addressed in the future, either by Microsoft or Synaptics?
Support from Sony for Windows 10 will vary by model
DO NOT UPGRADE YET.
To ensure your VAIO PC works with Windows 10, it is strongly recommended that you wait to upgrade your PC until the drivers are ready.

SVZ131 Series
  • Cursor from pointing device will freeze after resuming from (S3) Sleep or (S4) Hibernate.
SOURCE: http://esupport.sony.com/US/p/os10upgrade.pl

Reaction score
That'll be up to Sony to make sure there's compatible drivers. 90% of the issues here are with laptops. Laptop manufactures are always slow with updated drivers. The older the laptop, the less chance they'll be quick about new drivers. This isn't limited to laptops, but most of them use some kind of proprietary drivers, unique to the that model.

Like Trouble says, I'd advise waiting to upgrade if you have a laptop or off the shelf PC, unless it's brand new. Even then...........

Reaction score
Thanks guys for the prompt input.

For my SVZ1311C5E I found out everything else works OK with WIN 10, so I am happy keeping it like this, except this issue

I located a very useful past thread I had overlooked for this issue, here it is:
https://www.windows10forums.com/threads/windows-10-cursor-freezes-disappears-after-sleep.1199/
I'm thinking of trying out this solution, i.e. disabling the auto driver installation from Windows Update, but the drawback is that it is not specific-selective, at least for now.

Another very interesting thread is here that I plan to check, when I find time... here it is:

http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?p=5148618

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Good luck.
I think if it was me, I'd pick up a cheap USB Optical mouse to use in the interim, until Sony gets their proverbial ducks in a row.

Reaction score
Hi Aris,

Have you tried the proposed solution or tried something else? I am very tempted to install W10 as well (same laptop than you with W7). Also, did you notice anything wrong with the "fn" keys (volume, brightness, etc.)? I used to have those keys not working with W8 which forced me to downgrade to W7 at the time...

It seems to be a minor compatibility problem, so it would be worth the effort for Sony to fix that!

Thank's,

Matt

Reaction score
Hi Matt, I believe the problem is resolved for good, but it needs a two-step effort; I'm testing for some days now and it looks good, will post the solution soon.
No problems with the Fn keys on my SVZ1311
Aris

Reaction score
Good news! Were you upgrading from W7 or W8 already? I am planning to upgrade from W7 64b pro, but I do not know what to do about the drivers...
I look forward to discovering the solution. Many thanks in advance for sharing!
Matt

Reaction score
Good news! Were you upgrading from W7 or W8 already? I am planning to upgrade from W7 64b pro, but I do not know what to do about the drivers...
I look forward to discovering the solution. Many thanks in advance for sharing!
Matt

Matt, I had upgraded from WIN7 to WIN8 and then to WIN8.1 so I reinstalled from the site (here: http://www.sony.co.uk/support/en/product/SVZ1311C5E/updates) the latest running WIN8 driver, the number is 16.2.16.2. of 2012 (they did not have a newer for WIN8.1) This is the one working now fine. No other driver problems for me, BTY WIN 10 is REALLY good !

If you don’t have an SVZ series but another, check with SONY WIN 10 Upgrade Limitations here http://esupport.sony.com/US/p/support-info.pl?info_id=1596

Reaction score
OK, as already posted, the PROBLEM is caused because Windows 10 automatically updates to the most recent drivers, because Microsoft thinks this is the way to go. Well, for some laptops where the manufacturers have asked for tailor-made drivers, the result is that some features won’t work.

In my SVZ1311C5E Vaio, WIN10 has a ‘New’ Synaptics touchpad driver (19.0.19.1 of 2015) which replaced the ‘Old’ custom Synaptics driver my VAIO had, and it freezes.

There are THREE STEPS that have to be taken, I took them in the following sequence:

1. From within WIN10 Disable the Automatic Driver Updates. The following link gives you the best instructions how to do that. http://www.whattechsays.com/how-to/disable-automatic-driver-updates-windows-10/

2. Now you need to get rid of the ‘New’ and ‘problematic’ Synaptics driver WIN10 has installed and reinstall your Previous SONY Synaptics driver that was working ok. The best thread showing how to do this is below. HOWEVER this does not resolve the problem long-term, as eventually WIN10 will reinstall automatically it’s ‘new’ driver. Here is the Best thread how to do this, check King Kole’s post on Aug 11 2015 https://www.windows10forums.com/threads/windows-10-cursor-freezes-disappears-after-sleep.1199/

3. The FINAL IMPORTANT step is to tell WIN10 to leave the ‘Old’ driver alone ! Apparently Microsoft has caught up with this issue and they have provided a solution ‘How to temporarily prevent a Windows or Driver update from reinstalling in windows 10’ you can find it here https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3073930
After downloading, click-run the wushowhide.diagcab file and it will launch the Show or Hide Updates program, click next, choose HIDE updates (guess they mean ‘Don’t Upgrade’)and it will present you a list of drivers. Choose the Synaptics driver from the list and complete the procedure. Again, for this to work the ‘Old’ driver should be installed and appear on the list, not the ‘New’ one. If all has gone well, the ‘Old’ ‘Good’ driver will stay there for good, or at least till (and IF) SONY gets form Synaptics a proper WIN 10 Driver that will work on our laptops…..

I have worked for a week now reverting from sleep/hibernate without the touchpad freezing so I guess we can problem RESOLVER (hopefullyJ)

Reaction score
I have had the same problem and used all of your steps. Now everytime I move my mouse the laptop says it needs to restart in a blue screen.

OK, as already posted, the PROBLEM is caused because Windows 10 automatically updates to the most recent drivers, because Microsoft thinks this is the way to go. Well, for some laptops where the manufacturers have asked for tailor-made drivers, the result is that some features won’t work.

In my SVZ1311C5E Vaio, WIN10 has a ‘New’ Synaptics touchpad driver (19.0.19.1 of 2015) which replaced the ‘Old’ custom Synaptics driver my VAIO had, and it freezes.

There are THREE STEPS that have to be taken, I took them in the following sequence:

1. From within WIN10 Disable the Automatic Driver Updates. The following link gives you the best instructions how to do that. http://www.whattechsays.com/how-to/disable-automatic-driver-updates-windows-10/

2. Now you need to get rid of the ‘New’ and ‘problematic’ Synaptics driver WIN10 has installed and reinstall your Previous SONY Synaptics driver that was working ok. The best thread showing how to do this is below. HOWEVER this does not resolve the problem long-term, as eventually WIN10 will reinstall automatically it’s ‘new’ driver. Here is the Best thread how to do this, check King Kole’s post on Aug 11 2015 https://www.windows10forums.com/threads/windows-10-cursor-freezes-disappears-after-sleep.1199/

3. The FINAL IMPORTANT step is to tell WIN10 to leave the ‘Old’ driver alone ! Apparently Microsoft has caught up with this issue and they have provided a solution ‘How to temporarily prevent a Windows or Driver update from reinstalling in windows 10’ you can find it here https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3073930
After downloading, click-run the wushowhide.diagcab file and it will launch the Show or Hide Updates program, click next, choose HIDE updates (guess they mean ‘Don’t Upgrade’)and it will present you a list of drivers. Choose the Synaptics driver from the list and complete the procedure. Again, for this to work the ‘Old’ driver should be installed and appear on the list, not the ‘New’ one. If all has gone well, the ‘Old’ ‘Good’ driver will stay there for good, or at least till (and IF) SONY gets form Synaptics a proper WIN 10 Driver that will work on our laptops…..

I have worked for a week now reverting from sleep/hibernate without the touchpad freezing so I guess we can problem RESOLVER (hopefullyJ)

Reaction score
Hi Aris,

Big thank you for the solution. I am almost ready to install W10 and try it.

Just a quick question: if you tell Windows to leave the specific driver alone (Step 3), is the Step 1 still necessary? Or should the Automatic Driver Updates enabled again afterwards? Should not all the other drivers kept up to date by the system?

Thank's,

Matt

Reaction score
I have had the same problem and used all of your steps. Now everytime I move my mouse the laptop says it needs to restart in a blue screen.
Sorry to hear it did not work for you. Seems the driver is not the correct for your Vaio and I can only guess you did not follow exactly the instructions like deleting the 'new' one, or did not install the proper 'old' driver.
What I wrote worked on my VAIO SVZ1311C5E and the 'old' Synaptics driver I reinstalled is v 16.2.16.2 of 27/92012 that I got from Sony's Support site for my specific model, here it is http://www.sony.co.uk/support/en/content/cnt-dwnl/SVZ1311C5E/list#os2

r

Reaction score
Hi Aris,

Big thank you for the solution. I am almost ready to install W10 and try it.

Just a quick question: if you tell Windows to leave the specific driver alone (Step 3), is the Step 1 still necessary? Or should the Automatic Driver Updates enabled again afterwards? Should not all the other drivers kept up to date by the system?

Thank's,

Matt
Good question Matt, but I don't have the answer, you can skip step 1 and try it.
For me I'm going to leave things as they are because finally it now works and because I wait for SONY to come up with the proper, correct Synaptics driver for WIN 10. Even though unfortunately the VAIO's are discontinued, I do hope they will not leave us like that.
There is also something strange with my keyboard (ctrl + tab swaps language instead of launching Task View) so I don't want WIN 10 to auto-change more drivers.
From day one I only owned VAIO's because they were always ahead of the others, lightweight etc but my next choice will come with WIN 10 preinstalled, and with touchscreen as well, something like Lenovo's Yoga 3 pro 2-in-one. .

Reaction score
I've installed W10 and it works pretty well. I applied your methodology with success. Thank you again!
I should add that I also had to reinstall another Intel driver which was permanently turning my CPU crazy.

Yes, that is a pity that Sony stops producing VAIO computers. Our computer is 2/3 years old, and it still hard/impossible to find such a powerful and small computer on the market right now. I really wonder which computer to choose the day I will have to replace it...

Ask a Question