SOLVED Speakers not detected

Reaction score
Window 10 home
Dell XPS 8900 (came with W10 installed)
X64 based PC
Version 10.0.14393 Build 14393
I've had Realtek speakers for couple years now on this PC, work great.
Speakers are plugged in, but have disappeared from Device Manager and Playback devices; I've checked to see if they are 'disabled' and they are not. 2 days prior to this, no sound was coming from speakers, they were in Device Manager and selected as default device. All "troubleshooting of sound problems" indicated they were working properly. I updated Realtek driver and now I have the current problem. Troubleshooting indicates "no speakers are plugged in". It's like Windows 10 isn't recognizing speakers all of a sudden. I've tested speakers on another device and they're working fine. Hope someone can help!

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
I'd check the Dell Support website http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/19/Products?~ck=mn
Plug in my Service Tag Number and see what they might have in the way of driver updates.
Looks like there might be a couple newer ones including a BIOS and Chipset update in February.and January.
I can't say if any of these will address your current problem but it might be worth investigating

Reaction score
Thanks, Trouble
I did update a couple Dell drivers, but still the problem. As it was I got back the Realtek as playback device, updated it's driver, "tested" the speakers on this PC and they work fine except for games, YouTube, etc. Maybe I need to look for something to update on Windows 10

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Version 10.0.14393 Build 14393
Maybe I need to look for something to update on Windows 10
Today starts the big roll-out of the Creator's Update so it might be worth looking into.
That will put you at
Version 1703 and with the latest cumulative update for that, Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1703 for x64-based Systems (KB4015583), should have you at (OS Build 15063.138).

Last edited:
Reaction score
I did update 1607, that's what Cortana took me to. No help
Time to talk to best buy/geek squad perhaps

Reaction score
Problem solved--- needed further Windows driver update (not 1703). Even tho I had updated once today, a second prompt to update installed another update. I also noticed sound for online videos does not work on Google Chrome (uninstalled that) works fine on Microsoft Edge. The only sound not working is 2 Microsoft app games, so it's an issue with those games.

Ask a Question