Start Menu question

Reaction score
Hello, I'm fairly new to Windows 10, but today I did something that I want to change back and have found no solutions so far. I will ask a lead in question to educate me on this new start menu thing.

Sitting in the Desktop screen, when you click the windows icon at lower left (where Win7 Start was) it takes you to a screen with two parts. An apps listing on LEFT and on the RIGHT an area with groups of icons (which I guess are short cuts?).
(1a) Is this entire screen called the Start Menu or just the groups on the RIGHT?

(1b) And if it's just the groups on the RIGHT what is the apps on the LEFT called?

(2) This is what I did that I want to change back.
I wanted to copy some app icons (from the apps listing on LEFT) to the area of groups on the RIGHT. Ok so for awhile I just right clicked on the desired ones on the LEFT and choose pin to start and it would copy the icon into the group area on the RIGHT.

But then I got tired of right clicking and thought I could just drag the icon from the LEFT to the RIGHT. But when I did that it moved (not copied) the icon so now it's not in the apps listing on the LEFT any more.

I tried to drag the moved icon (now on the RIGHT) back to the LEFT apps listing but it won't stick. Just stays on the RIGHT.

So then I tried right clicking on the icon (in the RIGHT group area) and choosing Unpin from start. Well that just deleted it, now the icon (which was paint) is totally gone from everywhere.

How can get the icons I moved to the RIGHT side back the to the LEFT?

And how can get the Paint app back from where ever it disappear to?

Really appreciate any help here.

Reaction score
Ok I solved question (2) it really did not move them, it copied them. They were just in Windows Accessories and after I dragged the icon to the right, the apps listing evidently collapsed and then I was trying to find it Paint under P in the apps listing (instead of in W, for Windows Accessories). So that was my mistake and I glad to have solved that.

But if someone could tell me exactly what is being called the Start Menu in Windows 10. Is it the entire screen of the Apps listing on the left AND the grouped icons on the right?

Or is there delineations between these two?

---------summations
I can only guess that Windows is pushing this new design start screen to accomodate touch screen users. Otherwise I see no functional use to it. The icons are too big (even when resized to small) therefore in the apps list is way long to read down.

The old desktop and start menu was way more functional.

And it's crazy when you start an app from the Win 10 start screen it starts up on top of the Desktop. So then to start another app you have to click the windows icon (at bottom left again to get to this foobarred new desktop concept called the start screen (or menu).

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
The old desktop and start menu was way more functional.
IF you find the new start menu feature and functionality, not to your liking you might want to apply something like
http://classicshell.net/
OR
One of the multitude of other start menu overlays available, some for free and other at a nominal cost.
A lot of people find them useful. Personally I've never found them worth the bother.

Ask a Question