SOLVED Start screen issues

Reaction score
Greetings.

I am experiencing a series of issues regarding my system.

1. I cannot customize the start screen. Cannot drag and drop tiles, cannot pin-to-start, cannot change color. Nothing.
I have searched everywhere here and tried the solutions below:

a. Reregistered windows store using powershell.
b. Tried pining the apps from the all apps menu. No option.
c. Checked the group policy pertaining to the start screen. No joy.
d. Scanned.

Thought the culprit, would be the cause that shows the "Some settings are managed by your organisation" message in windows updates.

My user (only one accesses this computer) has admin priviledges (i think).

However, a few months ago in order to access work emails using the windows 10 mail client i agreed to my company's policy before accessing the exchange server. Now however i am not employed there anymore and have deleted the account. I state that because it migth be relevant to the issue i am facing.

I am at your disposal for anything you might require of me, in order for you to help.

Thank you in advance.

My Windows version is 10 Pro, upgraded from Windows 8.1. However...after the installation i had no such issues.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Hello dzoulias and welcome to the forum.
click the start button, settings, privacy icon, left column select Feedback & diagnostics.
Change Diagnostic and usage data to "Full" in the drop down.
IF, this option is not available to you then
Right click the start button and choose "Run" from the context menu and in the Run dialog box type
gpedit.msc
hit enter or click OK
Steps 1 thru 8 in the attached image.
NOTE: Changing group policy will often require a reboot to take effect
AND: Yes it was likely the Exchange account that did this.
Hope it works for you

Screenshot (21).png

Reaction score
Greetings again, and thank you for the prompt reply.

Have already tried all these, even before the suggestion. Did so again though.

No joy unfortunately.

Also tried creating another user, local admin again, no microsoft email...and i could not even connect with it! Said "Logging on" then logged off by itself after 1 second.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Can you check your registry for the contents of this key
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\DataCollection (in the left pane)?
Does the data pane (right side) contain anything other that what is displayed in the attached image?

Capture.JPG

Using the Windows Registry Editor can cause serious, system-wide problems that may require you to re-install Windows to correct them. It cannot be guaranteed that any problems resulting from the use of the Windows Registry Editor can be solved. If you choose to edit the Windows Registry please understand that you do so at your own risk so unless you feel fairly comfortable and confident you should probably not use the Editor. Changes made to the Windows Registry can take effect immediately and those that do not will take effect following the next reboot of your computer, and a current backup is not automatically made for you....So manually create a system restore point, backup the registry and export the key you are editing for safe keeping before doing so.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Assuming that this is a typical home computer / workgroup computer and not a member of a Domain (Active Directory) and.....
You are feeling particularly courageous you might want to give this zip file a try as it purports to reset most of, if not all of the registry entries that may be impacting your computer and producing the problem.
Again...... same disclaimer.... Manually create a System Restore point and backup the registry.
http://www.winhelponline.com/blog/personalize-some-settings-managed-organization/

Reaction score
Greetings all. I am travelling now (Easter here in Greece) and will be back sunday. I am on GMT+2. So, i will do as you said and post back, but i will be a bit late.

Please do not take that as disrespect for your time. I do appreciate your taking the time to help.

"Talk" to you soon.

Dimitris

Reaction score
Apart of the "default" that you have, it says AllowTelemetry and the value is 0x00000003 (3). It was 0 before, but i read somewhere that it should be (3) "Full" to repair the issue.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Glad to hear that you were able to resolve your issue.
Thanks for posting back and updating your thread with that information.
Much appreciated.

Ask a Question