Start; Tablet Mode on Windows 10

Reaction score
I have no need to have Tablet mode but was curious why in another thread a screenshot showed Tablet mode but I can not duplicate it. I mean, I see no way to view the start in tablet mode on my desktop. I see the tablet icon but pressing it brings up a menu from the right but not tablet mode.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
I believe, if your "desktop" does not have a touch capable device and the appropriate drivers for it installed, then tablet mode will not function.
Mine doesn't and the option is Grey'd out.

Capture.JPG

Reaction score
In that other thread, I said click the icon that is next to Time.
I had a screenshot provided to indicate which icon I meant.
The icon, by the way, is called Notification.

Reaction score
Mine, actually both laptops , are not touch capable either but I can enable tablet mode.

system - touch input.jpg

tablet mode.jpg

Last edited:
Reaction score
I also, do not have touch on any of three laptops and a stationary, in the house. I can enable touch mode on all.

There was a problem, with this, in some of the builds, if you had an external monitor in use, but I thought MS had sorted it

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
What's a "stationary"? I thought that was something you used to write on (back in our day) when people actually used to write letters.
What's the make and model of your desktop.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Well...... dave says he has a "stationary" and it is do-able for him.
I noticed that on my "Clean Install" of Windows 10 on my spare desktop computer that it is possible to enable.
So..... maybe it's something to do with an upgrade. Mine that was upgraded from Windows 8.1 will not allow me to enable Tablet Mode

Reaction score
I have one laptop pre-installed with Vista > then upgraded to Win 8 Pro > then 8.1Pro > then Win 10 Pro.

I have another laptop preinstalled Win 7 Home Premium > upgraded to Win 10 Home.

Reaction score
I noticed that on my "Clean Install" of Windows 10 on my spare desktop computer that it is possible to enable.
So..... maybe it's something to do with an upgrade. Mine that was upgraded from Windows 8.1 will not allow me to enable Tablet Mode
He said he could enable "touch mode" not Start Tablet Mode. Still, you say you can enable tablet mode on a desktop so I will unmark it.

Reaction score
As to methods of upgrading. I have had used both because I messed up the computers ( both of them at different times.)
Last reinstall was via ISO file taken from Media Creation Tool.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Mine (desktop) is also an upgrade from Windows 8.1 .

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Now I'm thinking it has something to do with multi-monitors.
I have two connected to the one that I cannot enable tablet mode on
I have one connected to the one that I can enable tablet mode on.
Hmmmmm.

Ask a Question