Still waiting....

Reaction score
I know Microsoft is rolling out Win 10 in bunches. But, it's been nearly two months and I still don't have the pop up asking me to download Win 10. I ha e the little window icon in task bar. I am on Win 7 and get all updates. My husband's 3 computers all got the download notice all at once. We are networked, too.

Anyone else still waiting?

Cissy B

Reaction score
There should be a reason why you are still waiting.
I suspect your computer has certain compatibility issues with Windows 10.

However, you could try it this way to download your version of Win 10 and then install it.

Please make sure you follow the instructions henceforth to the letter.............

1. Download the media Creation Tool. Make sure you pick the correct bit version.
http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

2. Run the Tool.
Select Create installation media for another PC option.
That will start creating a Win 10 ISO.
(You can burn it to a bootable media later on. This method does not require it ).

3. Right click at the downloaded ISO file > click Mount > click Setup.exe.
Installation will begin.
This method allows you to keep your files, settings and apps.
This method does not require product key which nobody has.
Activation will be automatic.

Reaction score
It could be a good idea to run the Microsoft compatibility test,before taking this step.
If your computer is, indeed, incompatible, installing from the ISO will run you into some of the problems which users are getting - as you may read on forums such as this one.

Reaction score

However, you could try it this way to download your version of Win 10 and then install it.

Please make sure you follow the instructions henceforth to the letter.............

1. Download the media Creation Tool. Make sure you pick the correct bit version.

2. Run the Tool.
(You can burn it to a bootable media later on. This method does not require it ).

Installation will begin.
Thank you very much, Davidhk. Will print out your instructions. :)

Reaction score
It could be a good idea to run the Microsoft compatibility test,before taking this step.
If your computer is, indeed, incompatible, installing from the ISO will run you into some of the problems which users are getting - as you may read on forums such as this one.

Ok, how do I run the compatibility test? Much appreciated!

Reaction score
Ok. But keep something else in mind. Make a backup of your existing system. It can be more useful than having to return from 10 or, worse, if it fouls up. Hardware compatibility checks are very much a consideration between you and the manufacturer(s). I just put this post on another forum, but maybe worth repeating:

"The so.called check, which is offered, merely checks your computer for the minimum requirements. You probably know these:

You must be running the latest version of either Windows 7 SP1 or Windows 8.1 Update.
1 gigahertz (GHz) or faster processor.
1 gigabyte (GB) for 32-bit or 2 GB for 64-bit
16 GB for 32-bit OS 20 GB for 64-bit OS
DirectX 9 or later with WDDM 1.0 driver 800x600

But, Quote from the MS recommendations:
"The upgradeability of a device includes factors beyond the system specification. This includes driver and firmware support, application compatibility and feature support, regardless of whether or not the device meets the minimum system specification for Windows 10"

I would interpret this as meaning that, although a computer may meet those minimum requirements, it may not have some of the necessary hardware, or planned upgrades, to run Windows 10. This is a bad feature and, I would say, one of the main reasons that forums such as these are receiving requests for help with failed installations.
The ordinary user, does not read the entire small print in any instructions or documentation, but, for what it's worth, Microsoft do, in the compatibility test, recommend that a check is made with the computer/hardware manufacturers for added compatibility now and in the future, of there products.

Domestically, I run all Dell computers. Two of my Laptops are not, according to Dell's homepage, supported in terms of hardware. Bothe run Windows 10 100%"

Reaction score
Ok. But keep something else in mind. Make a backup of your existing system. It can be more useful than having to return from 10 or, worse, if it fouls up. Hardware compatibility checks are very much a consideration between you and the manufacturer(s). I just put this post on another forum, but maybe worth repeating:

"The so.called check, which is offered, merely checks your computer for the minimum requirements. You probably know these:

You must be running the latest version of either Windows 7 SP1 or Windows 8.1 Update.
1 gigahertz (GHz) or faster processor.
1 gigabyte (GB) for 32-bit or 2 GB for 64-bit
16 GB for 32-bit OS 20 GB for 64-bit OS
DirectX 9 or later with WDDM 1.0 driver 800x600

But, Quote from the MS recommendations:
"The upgradeability of a device includes factors beyond the system specification. This includes driver and firmware support, application compatibility and feature support, regardless of whether or not the device meets the minimum system specification for Windows 10"

I would interpret this as meaning that, although a computer may meet those minimum requirements, it may not have some of the necessary hardware, or planned upgrades, to run Windows 10. This is a bad feature and, I would say, one of the main reasons that forums such as these are receiving requests for help with failed installations.
The ordinary user, does not read the entire small print in any instructions or documentation, but, for what it's worth, Microsoft do, in the compatibility test, recommend that a check is made with the computer/hardware manufacturers for added compatibility now and in the future, of there products.

Domestically, I run all Dell computers. Two of my Laptops are not, according to Dell's homepage, supported in terms of hardware. Bothe run Windows 10 100%"

Thank you so much for all this good information. About two weeks ago, I did clone my entire hard drive just for the anticipation of Win 10. In fact, since I added a few things that I want to keep, I'm doing an update clone today.

Thanks so much for your time. I really want to give Win 10 a shot. :) Some day soon I hope to mark this thread SOLVED :)

Reaction score
Ok, checked the "check your PC" for compatibility. Again, got message "this report is not available. Microsoft will test your PC again once the download is ready"........words to that affect.

Anyway, another clone to be done and more waiting. Thanks!

Reaction score

2. Run the Tool.

Installation will begin.
David.....I will download the media creation tool so I have it on a USB flash drive. Thanks!

Reaction score
I am still waiting. The link to "Check your PC" in the Windows 10 app that sits in my task are still says "this report not available right now". Good heavens, why not? I did put needed files on a flash drive where supposedly I can download win 10, but I am hesitant to do it. I would think the pop up would tell better if my PC is ready. Dang.

Reaction score
I am still waiting. The link to "Check your PC" in the Windows 10 app that sits in my task are still says "this report not available right now". Good heavens, why not? I did put needed files on a flash drive where supposedly I can download win 10, but I am hesitant to do it. I would think the pop up would tell better if my PC is ready. Dang.
All it will tell you is if your hardware meets minimum requirements. It really won't tell you if it's compatible. Post your specs, and we could give you a decent guestimate.

Reaction score
All it will tell you is if your hardware meets minimum requirements. It really won't tell you if it's compatible. Post your specs, and we could give you a decent guestimate.

I will post my specs in the AM. Thanks!

Reaction score
Here are my specs: Let me know if more needed :)

Windows 7 Home Premium Service Pack 1 (build 7601)
Install Language: English (United States)
System Locale: English (United States) No details available
Processor a Main Circuit Board b
3.00 gigahertz Intel Core2 Duo
64 kilobyte primary memory cache
4096 kilobyte secondary memory cache
64-bit ready
Multi-core (2 total)
Not hyper-threaded Board: ASUSTeK Computer INC. P5K/EPU Rev 1.xx
Serial Number: MS1C83BZDX00730
Bus Clock: 333 megahertz
BIOS: American Megatrends Inc. 0604 06/19/2008
Drives Memory Modules c,d
1000.20 Gigabytes Usable Hard Drive Capacity
757.27 Gigabytes Hard Drive Free Space

ATAPI iHAS120 6 ATA Device [CD-ROM drive]
LITE-ON DVDRW LH-20A1S ATA Device [CD-ROM drive]
3.5" format removeable media [Floppy drive]

Canon MG5300 series USB Device [Hard drive] -- drive 1
ST31000528AS ATA Device [Hard drive] (1000.20 GB) -- drive 0, s/n 9VPA7Y6F, SMART Status: Healthy

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
There is a facility on this forum to include that type of information in your forum profile.
If you go to the top right of the page and hover over your name you should see a list drop down that should include "System Specs"
If you fill that out then it will be included with every post right under your Avatar on the left of your posts.

Reaction score
There is a facility on this forum to include that type of information in your forum profile.
If you go to the top right of the page and hover over your name you should see a list drop down that should include "System Specs"
If you fill that out then it will be included with every post right under your Avatar on the left of your posts.

Thanks! Will do that!

Ask a Question