SOLVED Strange privileges problem

Reaction score
I have a word 2013 .doc document that I created some time ago and have been editing it as needed with no problem. The document has an Excel document imbedded in it. I used to be able to edit the embedded Excel document with no problem, but now I can’t. if I open the word document and edit the document itself, there is no problem, but when I double click the excel section, I get told that I don’t have the permissions needed.

I have checked the permissions on the word document and they look fine. I can edit the document with no problem. I just can’t edit the imbedded excel document. I have the permissions to run Excel itself.

When I look online, I get hits on changing the word document permissions. Those permissions are fine. This has only happened since the 1709 update.

Regedit32

Reaction score
Hi Jeffrey

Welcome to the Forum.

That is a awkward scenario you have describe. I'm wondering whether it would make a difference if you were signed-in as a Local Account User versus a User who belongs to the Administrative Group (or viz versa).

As you mentioned you are the document author and once were able to edit the embedded object also, another angle may be to open the offending document, then in the select the Review tab and then within the Protect panel click the Restricted Editing button and select Stop Protection. You may be prompted to enter a password which I assume you'll know.

Reaction score
Thank you for your reply.

The Restrict Editing doesn’t give me the Stop Protection option. It only gives Formatting Restrictions, Editing Restrictions and Start Enforcement. I am the author and an administrator on this machine. Any other suggestions?

Reaction score
I stumbled on a fix to the problem. I never expected this to fix my problem but I ran the following 2 commands followed by a reboot, and “Problem Solved”.

DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth
sfc /scannow

The sfc did find some problems that it fixed.

Thank you for trying to help.

Ask a Question