System freezing after updating to Creator's build

Reaction score
There is only one update that continues to fail.

"Update for Microsoft Visual Studio 2010 Tools for Office Runtime (KB3001652) - Error 0x80070643"

If there is a problem, it is Windows Update aggression not Nero. And with that said, I didn't seem to have this problem until this latest build.

With that said if there is a problem with Nero, I will simply go back to using Windows 7. I paid for Nero. I will not allow MS to push me out of using software I paid for with automatic updates.

Reaction score
No idea, but surely in the Nero program there is an option to stop it ?

Data

Chief Operations Officer
Reaction score
I only mentioned Nero, because its rather the most sophisticated piece of bloatware I have ever seen, it use to be a great program (back when I use to be a official beta tester) that went sideways.

I only asked what do you use Nero for, because, I am sure there are better, less bloaty, less problematic, and often free substitutes ;)

Anyway those window updates errors... How fun is that?

Reaction score
System froze again and I was posting the logs. I had them in memory but before I could scroll the thread to actually post, the damned thing froze again. I was willing to wait this out for new potential solutions. But freezing twice in 5 minutes will never be tolerated on an upgraded build. It's time for a clean install regardless of whether that fixes anything. It does irritate me though that I didn't have this issue with build 1607. And the only reason I upgraded, was the fact that I wanted to do it on my terms and not be forced into it by Microsoft at an inconvenient time.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
It's time for a clean install regardless of whether that fixes anything.
Keep us posted.
I suspect that you'll find that it does fix it.
I did the upgrade myself as I mentioned here on this forum, but I noticed some small niggling things that were a bit of an aggravation, not freezing exactly but other sundry issues that as the days went on I figured.....
They weren't worth putting up with, so I went ahead and did the wipe and clean install.
Something that I would have done anyway, sooner or later even if the upgrade had not produced any issues at all.
Good luck with the clean install.

Reaction score
There is only one update that continues to fail.

"Update for Microsoft Visual Studio 2010 Tools for Office Runtime (KB3001652) - Error 0x80070643"

If there is a problem, it is Windows Update aggression not Nero. And with that said, I didn't seem to have this problem until this latest build.

With that said if there is a problem with Nero, I will simply go back to using Windows 7. I paid for Nero. I will not allow MS to push me out of using software I paid for with automatic updates.
You could try reinstalling the program, and trying the update again?
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=54251

I read one solution only, which seemed to work. If it is applicable to your set up, you might like to have a read
Find it under NOELK1264's post at
https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...dio-2010/94114332-6f61-4511-8b23-97e4329db9db

Reaction score
No not yet, I'm thinking it is my build update that didn't go as needed. I'm looking for software fixes in the build. I've been down this road before and if I'm going to trace down hardware problems, I need to have all the software fixed fresh first.

Last time I replaced everything except memory because the memory diagnostics never flagged them as bad. It turned out to be the memory that had gone bad. I'm not going to say there is nothing wrong with these modules. I do however want to lean toward "lightning never strikes the same place twice". Not to mention I have 0 faith in the memory diagnostic utility. But I will likely give it a go after a clean install if the freezing persist.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Not to mention I have 0 faith in the memory diagnostic utility.
Me either.
Instead I prefer to use

Download Memtest86+ from this location here. Burn the ISO to a CD and boot the computer from the CD from a cold boot after leaving it off for an hour or more.

Ideally let it run for at least 7 passes / 6-8 hours (depending on the amount of memory you're testing. Sometimes overnight works best.) If errors appear before that you can stop that particular test. Any time Memtest86+ reports errors, it can be either bad RAM or a bad Mobo slot. Perform the test RAM sticks individually as well as all possible combinations. When you find a good one then test it in all slots. Post back with the results.

See this Guide to using Memtest 86+

Last edited:
Reaction score
Memtest is less than 2Mb. Thought I would put it on a mini-CD. Nope errored out. Went to regular CD. Nope errored out. Went to DVD. Yes, finally on a disk. I can't believe I had to put 2Mb ISO on a 4.7Gb disk. Not sure what that problem was all about, but right now it is low priority.

Time to start the test, see you guys tonight.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
No idea.
I have it on CD and it always seems to boot OK.

AS an aside, I generally start MemTest86+ with all my memory modules installed. That is to say, how I use my PC, when the problem symptoms are present.
I only step through the testing of individual modules in individual slots if the full boat seems to produce errors in the program.

Data

Chief Operations Officer
Reaction score
What about that?

If yu had suspected RAM, did you try running memory diagnostics?
Goto
Code:
Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Administrative Tools
Run
Windows Memory Diagnostic

Wont that do as well?

Data

Chief Operations Officer
Reaction score
CD? DVD? Whats wrong with making a bootable USBs and save a few coasters?

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
It will "do" but not "as well".
It's a simple quick cursory examination that will often detect some serious issues with your memory configuration, but.....
Not as well as MemTest86+
Which boots and runs the system independent of any operating system and if allowed to run does an extremely exhaustive test or all the nooks and crannies.
I came to rely on it a few years back when I had my own exasperating problem with a crash / BSOD and used it along with Prime95 to beat up on system components to help in the diagnosis.
I wrote about the issue in some detail here
https://windowsforum.com/threads/my-bsod-odyssey.115660/

Data

Chief Operations Officer
Reaction score
Im familiar with memtest86+ its a Linux integral part, however Im not familiar with Memory Diagnostics tool. I presumed it would reboot in exclusive mode. But haven't tested it myself.

Reaction score
CD? DVD? Whats wrong with making a bootable USBs and save a few coasters?
At the moment I only have one 64GB drive that I use for other things. I could have borrowed one, but preferred not to.

After running Memtest all day, here is a screen shot of Memtest still running. There was nearly 6 complete passes without error.
https://1drv.ms/i/s!AmrEjOPbzrHWiU2KHLAi1ZZijdBf

Memtest2.png

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
I'd say that you're good to go on the memory front.

Ask a Question