System freezing after updating to Creator's build

Data

Chief Operations Officer
Reaction score
Do you have XMP enabled on these? If so try disabling it.
And if there is any BIOS update, maybe try that also... Dont remember if you had tried it or not.

Data

Chief Operations Officer
Reaction score
Good luck, fingers, arms, legs, and toes crossed.

Reaction score
Firefox and Total Commander (my file manager) is all I have installed. I don't even have the graphics driver installed. I was in the process of downloading the newest version.

Reaction score
There are no caution symbols showing in device manager. At this point I doubt anything will fix the problem I am having with this new build. I'm going to use a backup of build 1607 for a few days, to see what my system does.

Data

Chief Operations Officer
Reaction score
There are no caution symbols showing in device manager

That not the point, a properly identified chipset works better with other device drivers. You should not rely on the obsolete Windows shipped INF/Drivers files.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
I must say that I strongly agree.
Typically, I will always use my motherboard site to install their specific drivers for my chipset(s), as well as drive / storage controllers, not to mention where applicable other Intel software (management engine, rapid storage tech)..

I've come to realize that while Windows 10 does a pretty good job of sorting device drivers to get you up and running, the manufacturer's drivers are likely more applicable for their devices. Sometime even slightly proprietary because of the way they are implemented.

Just like my nVidia video card, I go to nVidia as the source. Likewise for my Audio, LAN and Bluetooth cards.

Sometimes on particularly old computers, this might fall by the wayside where the manufacturer has stopped supporting their product, in which case I will try to go to the particular hardware manufacturer to see if they might have something more recent.

I only settle for what Microsoft provides if all other avenues fail.

Reaction score
That not the point, a properly identified chipset works better with other device drivers. You should not rely on the obsolete Windows shipped INF/Drivers files.
I know what your point is, and I do agree. But since I didn't have an issue while running build 1511 or 1607 (my freezing issue was resolved was way before this while using Windows 7), I don't see where the solution could be anything but build specific. If it is a chipset issue then I would need a new release designed for build 1703. Can you get that for a Sandy Bridge system?
I must say that I strongly agree.
I agree also.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Interesting but not particularly helpful with respect to the puzzle of the Creators Update.
1511 or "November Update" or Threshold 2 being the last of its' line prior to 1607 or Anniversary Update or Redstone 1 coming along.

You got me.... IDK.... I still suspect a hardware issue and it could be practically anything.
I had a USB WiFi adapter that would BSOD Windows 7 within a minute or two of it being plugged in.
I had a Seagate Free Agent external USB drive that when plugged into the rear of a certain series of HP Desktop would prevent it from finishing the boot process. Unplug it and it would boot and work with the external drive just fine, just would not boot with the drive attached.

Not particularly helpful information I know, but.....
Just a couple examples of weirdness that goes on and it doesn't have to be a major component it could be a peripheral.

I know, like a lot of us here on this forum, you're no rookie when it comes to some of these peculiarities, but.....
Arriving at the AAH HA moment can be a frustrating slog.

How does it do with a clean install of 1607?

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
I was running 1607 since it was released. Apparently I never made any backups while running 1607
That doesn't sound like you. It was released to the public on August 2, 2016, but.....
On the bright side, here's an excellent opportunity to create one.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
I didn't realize that you had been experiencing freezing on 1607, I thought it was specific to 1703.
Anyhow, you're on 1511 so create image, download 1607 ISO, double click and upgrade from Threshold 2 to Redstone 1.
Rinse and repeat
Image, 1703 ISO, Redstone 1 to Redstone 2

The force is with you, strong fall back position you have..... :)

Ask a Question