SOLVED System Restore

Reaction score
When I select "Restore personal files" under Control Panel>System and Security>File History, the only files available are those in my Documents folder. The Music, Videos, Pictures and Downloads folders do not appear. I believe these are supposed to be backed up by default. Does anyone know what's going on?

Reaction score
The only thing I know is about my computer and how it runs Windows 10.
Right click the little window in the left bottom corner< then lift click on the list System< on that page left click Security and Maintenance in the bottom left corner< in the middle of the next page I see the word Recovery left click that< on the next page I see restore options< if your computer works like mine left click into them and read what they do. All I can suggest is, if you like any one of them, post here on this forum and ask what they do. There are people here that know more than me. Or if your bold try one out (I'd try to back up anything I was afraid of losing) but I'd ask first. Narrow your question down and be more direct to the point and you may get more answers .

Last edited:
Reaction score
Couple Things:

1) Check your amount of HDD space allocated to WSR. If you're exceeding it, it can cause issues

2) Check that the restore points are even being created

3) Replace WSR. Simply put, WSR is unreliable. I've had it fail to restore/not restore files; as have many others. It's simply a very fickle and fragile service. You may want to consider replacing it with some alternative programs that do the same function (and in many cases come free of charge). Comodo Time Machine and Rollback Rx are the two biggest, but there's other solutions out there; and many of which are more reliable so it may be worth looking into.

Reaction score
There is a wealth of knowledge here foal, I sure your question will be answered, if it hasn't already been done. If you would like research this subject futher, you can also Google your question (i find this also helps also, sometimes).
https://www.google.com/search?q=How+to+restore+Windows+10&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8

I see from Settings then click Update and Security, you have "Back up using File history". The only thing to my knowledge would be to use a USB flash and back up Music, Pictures ,and downloads from file explorer.If you fear losing anything. I've done it before (it was easy, just click and drag).

I sorry about the earlier confusion, I didn't understand what you were saying. Again this may not be your answer. There are sharper mind here than mine.

I'm just trying to help: Good Luck

Last edited:
Reaction score
When I used control panel to try to find out what the problem was, I found that the three missing folders were in the excluded folders section. I deleted them from excluded files and now they're being backed up properly. This is the second time I've found that using the Start Menu to set up apps can screw things up.

Reaction score
Thanks for your update foal, I shore hope I don't ever run into your same problem ! ! !

Have a good one

Ask a Question