Taskbar behaviour (fullscreen borderless)

Reaction score
When running a multi monitor setup, with the main application (game or program) on the main monitor in fullscreen borderless, in windows 7 you could simply drag your mouse to the other monitor, and click any window or app on your 2nd monitor and the taskbar would pop up like so:
http://puu.sh/lFis0/198904b7ba.jpg

However, this is not possible in Windows 10 no matter what I do. After researching for a few hours and even calling a rather useless "Microsoft support" encouraging me to ask on the forum, I now put my last hope in whoever is here.

When you go from your main monitor to your second monitor (clicking it) this is what you get:
http://puu.sh/lFivG/b69c98abbb.jpg

Meaning you have to use hotkeys or such to get the taskbar to appear. Now when you jump between a ton of windows all the time, this thing that might seem minor, becomes a major hurdle.

Note: It works as it's supposed to when you click on the desktop on the 2nd monitor. Just not any window/program. Edit: Sometimes. Sometimes it doesn't. Win10 behaviour is boggling me.

Anyone know how to fix this if at all possible? Or am I reverting back to Windows 7? (Please don't suggest things like Alt + Tab etc, I'm not new at windows.)

Best regards,
-lindenkron

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
I was able to duplicate your issue by simply using F11 to run IE in full screen.
I was able to then produce the taskbar by simply striking the Windows logo key on my keyboard.
Not sure if that is an actual solution or if it even works for you, but I thought I would pass it along.

Reaction score
Evening,
I appreciate your reply but as stated I'm not looking for ways to bring up the taskbar using the keyboard - that's very well possible. It's the nuisance with not being able to simply click on my 2nd monitor (anywhere) with my mouse, which in Windows 7 brings up my Taskbar on my main monitor regardless of there being a 'fullscreen windowed' application running on it.

Best regards,
-lindenkron

Reaction score
I do have my taskbar on both. I have checked through the settings, but cannot find anything I have done outside the defaults, for the display. Only thing I have got is to duplicate the display on both,rather than "Extend". I have a suspicion that is not what you are looking for?

Reaction score
I do have my taskbar on both. I have checked through the settings, but cannot find anything I have done outside the defaults, for the display. Only thing I have got is to duplicate the display on both,rather than "Extend". I have a suspicion that is not what you are looking for?
Afraid not. I like only have my task bar on one monitor. What I'm looking for is the ability to make the task bar show up when you're in fullscreen on monitor '1', by clicking anywhere outside the active application on monitor '1' (such as monitor 2).

Worked in Win7, totally fucks with my flow in Win10. Enough to make me wanna revert back and say **** Win10 =/

Ty,
Best regards,
-Lindenkron

Reaction score
Sorry. I guess I am out of this. I am not really familiar with, or maybe understanding, the concept.
no rudeness intended, but I don't really understand why this would spoil your use of Windows 10.

Reaction score
Sorry. I guess I am out of this. I am not really familiar with, or maybe understanding, the concept.
no rudeness intended, but I don't really understand why this would spoil your use of Windows 10.

Because of habits I suppose. Now to bring up the task bar I have to either Alt + Tab, or Windows key. I've never used windows key for much, so that's a hassle to do. And Alt tabbing is disruptive because if I'm in (Let's say firefox) an app on my other screen, and I then Alt Tab to get my Task bar up, it tabs INTO my fullscreen windowed borderless application (on my main screen) hence not bringing up a task bar. Meaning it's just a major hassle. Like I said, might just revert :(

Every time I've wanted to get my task bar it's just been a quick mouse click on my 2nd monitor (anywhere) and it'd have an "application in focus" that wasn't fullscreen borderless windowed mode, meaning it brought up the task bar.

Windows 10 is bugged in that aspect and doesn't "leave fullscreen windowed borderless mode" when you click out of your application that is fullscreen windowed borderless mode.

Hence you get the issue I demonstrated with 2 screenshots in my original post.

Best regards,
-lindenkron

Reaction score
For anyone wondering, never found an answer to this or all the other issues with Windows 10. The OS has completely failed. 2 weeks and more issues than I've had with Windows 7 in 4 years.

I've decided to revert back, and then Microsoft can do their thing without my participation.

Best regards,
-lindenkron

Reaction score
For anyone wondering, never found an answer to this or all the other issues with Windows 10. The OS has completely failed
What other issues? You mentioned only one issue and call it a "total failure". That seems like an over reaction. It is your call however but I would hope you would reconsider as Windows 10, once you are familiar with it, is far better than Windows 7.

Reaction score
What other issues? You mentioned only one issue and call it a "total failure". That seems like an over reaction. It is your call however but I would hope you would reconsider as Windows 10, once you are familiar with it, is far better than Windows 7.

From a similar thread on another web forum said:
Windows 10 in 2 weeks:
  • 3 BSOD (Kernel driver error)
  • 1 Freeze (literally 5 minutes ago, when opening a youtube link everything just froze and had to reboot.)
  • Dragging window from one monitor to the other as described in this thread.
  • Not being able to see my Task Bar when main monitor running in fullscreen no border windowed mode, and clicking on 2nd monitor. Described in this thread

Windows 7 for 4 years:
  • Nothing.

Just listed the things at the top of my head. There's been a ton more, but it has been things I could live with :).

-lindenkron

Reaction score
Any resolution on this? We just upgraded to Windows 10 at work and this issue is driving me crazy!

Reaction score
BUMP!
this is indeed one issue im not happy about upgrading to 10, i've already waited until now to upgrade cause of software support. but never thought such a small issue would f*ck up work flow so much

well when you work with 3 (some days 4) monitors like me with every taskbar only the active programs, and you have your game open and also working on stuff in the background (example: photoshop, programming) than this can be a really bothersom issue

example: like this amount (please note this a picture from 2013 so windows 7, also had to blur personal info)
the amount of stuff i got open in development or school stuff also in fullscreen is a lot
c4140c7645533d608207eaa915a9c85d.png

Last edited:
Reaction score
I really don't have a handle on what you are attempting. Fullscreen games tend to be limited to the primary monitor (primary output). You can move windowed games to another monitors at some performance cost though. If you set the window to borderless, it will look just fine.

Have you tried Windows 10 in the projector mode Win Logo key+P it allows you 3 options for multiple screens 1 Duplicate, Extended, Screen 2 only.

Have you tried using CP>Display> Set Up Multiple Monitors?

Last edited:
Reaction score
this is what im having now, playing the game (Black Desert Online), set to windowed fullscreen (better preformance) so the mouse is not locked to the window only when turning the camera.
now i want something from my main taskbar
7ddd0649b788b9cfff75fb6595de8ae3.png

than im f*cked, the only way todo this is with a keyboard stroke like WIN or ALT+TAB, where in windows 8, same setup same game, i was just be able to click on my left screen desktop and it would show my taskbar

however, when you open a other program which is not fullscreen, the taskbar does apear, what is kind of weird
40d060cc6eb25586a4aa007899a32a42.png

Reaction score
For anyone wondering how to get Windowed Borderless / The taskbar to work like Win 7.

Right click on the taskbar, select properties, in the Taskbar and Start Menu properties Deselect "Show taskbar on all displays". This will take the taskbar off other displays and will allow the taskbar to popup when you are outside of the windowed borderless program. NOTE THIS MAKES IT SO THAT YOU ONLY HAVE A TASKBAR ON 1 MONITOR.

From what i've read on this the best option is to use DisplayFusion. It allows you to do a bunch of multi-monitor stuff

Reaction score
One thing you can do is get "Display Fusion".
Deselect the "taskbar on all screens" option of Win10 and let Display Fusion make the taskbars for you.
You can put your Windows-taskbar on any screen and put your DisplayFusion-Taskbar on the screen where you play games on. that Taskbar will pop up over the fullscreen applications if you click anywhere on the other screen.

Ask a Question