SOLVED Taskbar Is Not Working After Creating A Local Account

Reaction score
Good day. I'm having a problem with Windows 10. I just created a local account then poof, taskbar & start menu is not working, search button won't open, I can't see the date and time, and no access at the PC settings. Is it because I'm not connected in the internet when I created a local account? Please help me. Thanks so much.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
I just created a local account then poof, taskbar & start menu is not working, search button won't open, I can't see the date and time, and no access at the PC settings
Why did you create a new local user account? Were you having similar problems with your other account?

Reaction score
Why did you create a new local user account? Were you having similar problems with your other account?
I just saw in some blog that it's more secured if you switch to local rather than the Microsoft account :( when I switched to my Microsoft account, the taskbar is still has the same problem

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
So..... both or maybe all user accounts on the system exhibit the same symptoms??
I think that might suggest a more global issue with some operating system corruption rather than a user profile problem.
You might try using the native System File Checker and see if that produces any information.
Right click the start button (if possible) and choose command prompt (admin) and in the command prompt window type
sfc /scannow
hit enter
let it run and see what it says.

Failing that, I think I would try a system restore point to an earlier point in time
Again..... Command Prompt (Admin) and type
rstrui
hit enter
tick the radio button that says "Choose a different restore point"
See if there is a point in time restore, prior to the problem first occurring.

Failing both of the above
You may want to attempt an in-place upgrade / repair install. Upgrading Windows 10 by installing it over top of itself.
There is a pretty good article here https://neosmart.net/wiki/windows-10-repair-installation/ just ignore the first couple paragraphs where they are promoting their repair products and scroll down to the meat of the article.

If you do not have the installation media....
The installation media can be obtain through either of these two resources.
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/techbench
OR
http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10
Once you have the ISO, you can use ImgBurn to burn it to a DVD or Rufus to burn it to a USB ThumbDrive, or simply mount the ISO from within Windows 10 and run setup.exe from there.
Choose upgrade and make sure the box is ticked to obtain updates as part of the upgrade process.

This is a relatively simple and straight forward task and is generally non-destructive (all your data, programs, drivers, etc., should remain intact and unharmed), but.....
Personally I would still have a backup of my critical data, as well as a disk image, so I could recover in the event of some unforeseen problem.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Glad to hear it.
Thanks for posting back and updating your thread with that information.
Now.... if we could just determine, what caused the problem in the first place.
Do you suspect a recent windows update?
IF so, then it may very well reoccur the next time Windows Update runs.

Ask a Question