Start Button Nor any Taskbar buttons (NOT) working again!! Nothing helps...

Reaction score
I am really lost on this one, normally I can fix about any issue with a computer... I am self taught on 90% of what I know..
I have relied on you tube a lot for finding a lot of useful how to and info. When this first happened I found a fix that temporary worked, but I had to do it over and again, finally it stopped so I was advised to just restore my computer backup all my files it is like doing a factory reset since windows 10 does not really have one and I was told to do the best job don't save anything, so I didn't and it ran great for a week now again start button and taskbar does not work no fix I have found so far will work... I thought about using my ISO disk and doing a fresh install, but I did not want to go to that extreme again, it took me hours last time to get it to get it to start...
I have an HP Pavilion 23 all in one... Any advise on how to fix it??? or do I have to do a fresh install???

Thank you....

Reaction score
Search my posts under Support for Build 10586. I found a solution that worked for my Toshiba Satellite laptop.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Hello George and welcome to the forum. So......
You had the problem initially and found a solution but had to keep re-doing the "solution" which I assume was restarting in Safe Mode and the Returning to Normal Mode.
Then the solution stopped working and you performed a clean install saving nothing and
it ran great for a week now again start button and taskbar does not work no fix I have found so far will work
I think that about now, I would start suspecting data corruption, specifically profile corruption, and......
I might start worrying about a problem with the two physical items responsible for maintaining the data properly
The physical hard drive and the system memory.

The first thing I would suggest is to make sure you have all your critical data backed up and secured on an external drive.
Then I would suggest testing for possible Profile Corruption by creating a new user as a member of the local administrator's group (not a standard user) and log off as you and log on as the new user and test if the problems you describe persist with the new user account.

Reaction score
Hello George and welcome to the forum. So......
You had the problem initially and found a solution but had to keep re-doing the "solution" which I assume was restarting in Safe Mode and the Returning to Normal Mode.
Then the solution stopped working and you performed a clean install saving nothing and

I think that about now, I would start suspecting data corruption, specifically profile corruption, and......
I might start worrying about a problem with the two physical items responsible for maintaining the data properly
The physical hard drive and the system memory.

The first thing I would suggest is to make sure you have all your critical data backed up and secured on an external drive.
Then I would suggest testing for possible Profile Corruption by creating a new user as a member of the local administrator's group (not a standard user) and log off as you and log on as the new user and test if the problems you describe persist with the new user account.

The fix I found a month ago was:

Step 1: Right click on Start Menu button and open Command Prompt (Admin).
Step 2: Type in "powershell" WITHOUT QUOTE and hit enter.

Step 3: Execute (Paste) the following Command in the Powershell (previosuly was Command Prompt) window and hit enter:

Get-AppXPackage -AllUsers | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml"}

Step 4: Wait for the process to finish and complete the command

Step 5: if that failed to work I tried to type in this "sfc /scannow" WITHOUT QUOTE and hit enter.

The above no longer does anything for me, but may help others....

I have tried creating a new user account it does the same thing within a few days... I have the full version and had it for longer then most have, I was one of the testers moving from build to build.. Al was just fine until a couple months ago (maybe 3 or 4) I really like windows 10 it works perfect on my other computer and on my wifes, but this is my main computer and i use it for almost everything I do...

Reaction score
Search my posts under Support for Build 10586. I found a solution that worked for my Toshiba Satellite laptop.

I would need a link to find it, cause most threads are long... anything with a generic title like that would be hard to pick yours out with out a link to it...
Thank you...

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
I have tried creating a new user account it does the same thing within a few days
So after making sure all your critical data is secure, as I suggested above.
Then check your system drive for problems.
Right click the start button and choose Command Prompt (Admin) and in the command prompt window type
chkdsk C: /R
hit enter
answer Y when prompted
hit enter
type
exit
hit enter
reboot your computer and let it run.
Do not interrupt it, it can take a very long time to complete. After it finishes it will automatically reboot your computer. Check event viewer for the details of the chkdsk results, look at the bottom for any report of bytes in bad sectors.

Reaction score
So after making sure all your critical data is secure, as I suggested above.
Then check your system drive for problems.
Right click the start button and choose Command Prompt (Admin) and in the command prompt window type
chkdsk C: /R
hit enter
answer Y when prompted
hit enter
type
exit
hit enter
reboot your computer and let it run.
Do not interrupt it, it can take a very long time to complete. After it finishes it will automatically reboot your computer. Check event viewer for the details of the chkdsk results, look at the bottom for any report of bytes in bad sectors.

I have tried running "sfc /scannow" on Powershell also within Command Prompt (Admin) with no help...
I will try this and post what I find... What is also strange the same as last time several of my apps just disappeared from the taskbar, they are still there but just invisible per say if I hold the mouse on one it shows the name but that's
it... the store is gone, groove music & calculator and last time on the start when I could click it it showed it as an address something similar to a URL...
It will be latter on when I can try this and I will let you know how it works, I just hope I don't have to do a fresh install not the point of losing anything, I did this computer with the builds as a I guess tester or whatever I was my wifes computer was by ISO and was easy, my other computer was also windows 8.1 and by ISO, but it was so hard to do, ia had to re do it several times to a point I had to fresh install 8.1 then still took a while to get it to upgrade to 10, now it runs well with zero issues...
thank you...

Reaction score
Trouble (moderator):
I tried it, it ran for like 8+ hours it got stopped at 11% and that was as far as it went then it just restarted as normal and no changes at all... I don't know if that means there is an issue or means nothing, I am still at a loss to know what to do now... I was planning on trying it again to see if any change...

Reaction score
Trouble (moderator):
I tried it, it ran for like 8+ hours it got stopped at 11% and that was as far as it went then it just restarted as normal and no changes at all... I don't know if that means there is an issue or means nothing, I am still at a loss to know what to do now... I was planning on trying it again to see if any change...

Going into the event viewer I expanded on error And there was logged 1542 errors on that part in just 3 days mostly for the first 2 days (I clicked view instances of the errors) seen code 10005, then I see other code 69, 6, 7001, 7016, 20 & another code I see a lot from the 2nt to the present is 5973, but not near as much as the 10005... The time stamps are from Nov. 30, at 10;51pm until Dec. 1, almost noon almost every second with code 10005... I don't know if those codes mean much or not... That's what I seen on it... I may be grasping at straws, But I tried running powershell and sfc /scannow, then run my cleaners do a defrag and then going to try to run chkdsk C: /R again...

Reaction score
Going into the event viewer I expanded on error And there was logged 1542 errors on that part in just 3 days mostly for the first 2 days (I clicked view instances of the errors) seen code 10005, then I see other code 69, 6, 7001, 7016, 20 & another code I see a lot from the 2nt to the present is 5973, but not near as much as the 10005... The time stamps are from Nov. 30, at 10;51pm until Dec. 1, almost noon almost every second with code 10005... I don't know if those codes mean much or not... That's what I seen on it... I may be grasping at straws, But I tried running powershell and sfc /scannow, then run my cleaners do a defrag and then going to try to run chkdsk C: /R again...

I ran it again and it did the same thing, stuck at 11% stayed there for several hours 6 or so, then it restarted and nothing different...
I would except any other advise, I don't know anything other to do then a clean install...

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Go here
Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Administrative Tools\Event Viewer
Open it and expand Windows Logs and select Application
From the menu bar select Action -> Find
type
chkdsk
click find next
You should be looking for something like this information

Capture.PNG

Reaction score
From the menu bar select Action -> Find
I was curious as to what you were doing and was following your recent advise but on clicking on "Action" I see no option called "Find". But then I realized that I have to actually open "Application" and then click on application (on the left) again befor clicking "Action" to enable that option

Last edited:
Reaction score
The following screen shots may explain better.. one is what I got on my viewer it also shows part of my taskbar where you can see 3 icons are missing... the other shows when I chick my start button, which sometimes if I run one of the powershell fixs it will actually open, this is what some of the icons look like, instead of a pic they show what looks similar to a url address and they are the same apps that do not work...

Everything else works just fine, I know it's a new OS, so it's prone to a glitch or two, other then The taskbar issues and start button messing up at times, I have no complaints, funny, it's only the Microsoft apps that are affected..

10101.png
101010.png

Reaction score
I had to end up doing a full clean install... So far running perfect and like brand new, I will leave this thread up for a few days to make sure everything is fine... I never found out what caused the problem...

Ask a Question