Taskbar not autohiding

Reaction score
When I start my computer the task bar auto hides ok for 5 minutes and then it stops auto hiding until I restart again then it goes through the same cycle again I have checked the settings all ok. Anybody have any ideas how to solve it?.

Reaction score
When I start my computer the task bar auto hides ok for 5 minutes and then it stops auto hiding until I restart again then it goes through the same cycle again I have checked the settings all ok. Anybody have any ideas how to solve it?.

Sure - solving it is easy. Throw all MS related hardware into the trash and buy an Apple computer. This autohide issue has been around for many months - since the early Beta versions and Microshit STILL CAN'T FIX IT! Windows 10 is another Vista - buggy, unreliable and disruptive to any office that relies on the software.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Don't hold back, just let it all out and say what's on your mind.
No need to beat around the bush here.
I'm sensing that you may not be a fan?

Reaction score

That's amazing! How did you work that out? You must be one of those sidekicks they talk about on Oprah. ;)

Reaction score
Yes, after having to revert more than a dozen systems back to Windows 8 because the staff get infuriated with all the bugs presented by Windows 10, I am not a fan.
One interesting observation, with the many of the bugs, including the non-hiding taskbar, the problems occur on systems upgraded from Windows 8 Home, and some Win 7 Home editions. NONE of the Windows 7 Pro upgrades have exhibited any of the problems.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
When I start my computer the task bar auto hides ok for 5 minutes and then it stops auto hiding until I restart again then it goes through the same cycle again
This problem is not generally a product of the Windows 10 OS assuming that you have your hide taskbar settings, set correctly.
It is almost always a product of some third party software that is producing a balloon notification and needs attention.
You might test this by clean booting your system
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/929135
Follow the steps for Windows 8 / 8.1 (same for windows 10)
Read this article and see if anything mentioned might help you
http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/31779/fixing-when-the-windows-taskbar-refuses-to-auto-hide-correctly/

Reaction score
This problem is not generally a product of the Windows 10 OS assuming that you have your hide taskbar settings, set correctly.
It is almost always a product of some third party software that is producing a balloon notification and needs attention.
You might test this by clean booting your system
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/929135
Follow the steps for Windows 8 / 8.1 (same for windows 10)
Read this article and see if anything mentioned might help you
http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/31779/fixing-when-the-windows-taskbar-refuses-to-auto-hide-correctly/

I have to disagree "Gail", no notifications triggering it, and it is happening on clean installs and on out of the box (Asus K series high performance laptops) system before any software other than Office has been installed. I've played with it for months and have only noticed consistent one issue - that of the Home versus Professional updates. Some of the new Asus systems had Win 8 Home premium on them. They have all the bugs. Those that came with Win 8 Pro perform without problems.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
I don't understand why you would bother disagreeing with me.
I thought you were on your way to purchase one of those fine apple products that don't have all these annoyances.
I was simply offering the OP an opportunity to test and see if it was a third party product, and.....
Even a custom clean install of Windows 10 can have some notifications turned on by default, and OOBE on an OEM can be riddled with them.

Reaction score

This may not be a permanent solution but it might return your taskbar to normal operation without having to reboot the computer.

If the taskbar won't stay hidden after setting properties to do so, try killing & restarting explorer.exe as follows:

Open a command/run window (WIN + r)

In the Open: box type "CMD" (without quotes)
A command line window will open with a prompt like this:
C:\Users\username>

Type the following commands (without quotes) & click the Enter key after each one.

"taskkill /f /im explorer.exe"

"start explorer.exe"

Then exit the command window by typing EXIT at the prompt.

Reaction score
I don't understand why you would bother disagreeing with me.
I thought you were on your way to purchase one of those fine apple products that don't have all these annoyances.
I was simply offering the OP an opportunity to test and see if it was a third party product, and.....
Even a custom clean install of Windows 10 can have some notifications turned on by default, and OOBE on an OEM can be riddled with them.

Yes, but as I said I do check and there are no notifications affecting it. As for Apple, we are a cross platform organisation. The problems with Macs that are running Win 10 Home in Bootcamp are the same as on the PCs. Those running Win 10 Pro in Bootcamp, as with the PCs perform without problem. Microsoft is aware of the problem, but have yet to find a workable solution. They upgraded some of our Win 10 Home system to Win 10 Pro free of charge.

Reaction score
If you have problem of windows 10 taskbar not hiding then icon from showing up on the taskbar. Disable appearing of warnings for such problematic taskbar icons. In Windows 10, you will have the capacity to do this by means of Settings > System > Notifications and actions.

Last edited:

Ask a Question