SOLVED This thing really HAS ME OFF !!!

Reaction score
Man, how I hate this thing!

I have programs I have used for years - ways of doing things (editing sounds) that have worked for me since xp. Ah, but now, due to Mickeysoft's money grab, my trusty apps are crashing all over the place, because winhelp64.exe for windows 10 apparently does not exist!

I's seriously facing reformatting my drives in 2 computers and going back to widows 7.

Can anybody help me out?

If I do have to go back to 7, will the updates for it download now?

Reaction score
It happens with outdated apps. There comes a time when they won't work. Everyone said the same thing when XP came out. Their trusty Windows 95 apps didn't work anymore. There wasn't driver support for their old Voodoo graphics card. For better or worse, things evolve. It may be time for you to check out alternatives to your outdated apps.

If you go back to Windows 7, you should be fine.

Reaction score
OK - I'm gonna answer my own question again.

The file is winhlp32.exe, located in the c:\windows directory (folder)

You need to do 2 things:

1) Find the file, highlight it, right click on it, select properties then, from the next screen, select security. Hammer on the darn thing until you are allowed to delete it. You are trying to wrest access control from "trusted installer."

2) After the file is deleted, replace it with a file of the same name from a previous version of windows. The date on my file is 8/4/2009 at 2:56 pm, size is 290 KB.

When this file is successfully replaced with another the help from older programs (that cost a LOT of da** money!) will work, and so will they :)

Ask a Question