SOLVED thursday new build

Michael Bell

Mickey B
Reaction score
I hope it is not just me but I am not having much luck with builds. I down loaded new build that took a long time to do finally it did and I ran into a problem. When the screen comeback on I did not have a internet connection , I reset my router still no connection. I have another lap top running same connect it was running fine.
I went to trouble shooter it said I was missing something it could not help. Finally I found a way to go back to previous build and very thing is working fine did not loose any personalized apps or applications.
When I first tried to up grade to Win 10 , once I found a way to go back to Win 8.1 I turned off my antivirus and tried again Win 10 loaded . I removed that anti virus Norton and bought AVG Ultimate even though it is not documented any where should any antivirus be disabled ?
I have been forced into using internet explorer and Chrome to work and get to some sites appears many are not in loved with Edge , edge I would prefer to use. Not only should I disable the AVG but make edge my internet source before trying to down load the new build form 11/12/13 ?

Michael Bell

Mickey B
Reaction score
This from earlier problem with new build needed to go back to previous build . Search to see what build I have took, a while to find out but I did , its build 10240.
I just saw for a second, the number on Thursday build but I do not think that's it. I ran a search for up dates nothing was found . I trouble shooter up date it found something wrong and fixed it , I re ran up date still it found no up dates available , I restarted computer VERY slow but it. I did ran up date search still nothing .
The Thursday new build was that one to the customer or how do I get that up date again to try up grading to current build? This time I will disable anti virus software and change internet source from Internet Explorer to edge.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
should I disable the AVG but make edge my internet source before trying to down load the new build form 11/12/13 ?
Frankly, the more you can minimalize your current running Operating System before attempting any upgrade, the better.
Personally, I would uninstall both AVG and Norton, first by using the Programs and Features applet in the Control Panel and then follow that up by running their respective, vendor specific proprietary removal tools (both of them even if you have previously uninstalled either or both) from here
https://support.norton.com/sp/en/us/home/current/solutions/kb20080710133834EN_EndUserProfile_en_us
AND
http://www.avg.com/us-en/utilities
If you are having driver issues as suggested regarding your network problem then download them in advance of an upgrade and have them available on external media (USB ThumbDrive, CD or DVD).
Get the latest build ISO from here https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/techbench
And simply double click it to mount it from within Windows 8 and run setup.exe from it to perform the in-place upgrade.

Additionally, disconnected any extra peripherals, especially anything supporting any wireless devices (Keyboard, Mouse, Network, etc.,)

Michael Bell

Mickey B
Reaction score
ever thing in the world ( past experience) said to remove or disable the anti virus but no where is it indicated you should trusted a automated up date would say too. I am more concerned that new build from Thursday is now unavailable my computer says no up dates are available to down load

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
I was under the impression that you were upgrading (from a previous version of Windows, specifically Windows 8) upgrading is something you do using a newer version, installation media.
NOT
Updating a current version of Windows 10 (updating is something you do from within the OS using the update utility)
In either case, I provided the download link for the most recent version of Windows 10 in my post above, from the ISO, you can get to where you seem to want to be by simply mounting it and running Setup.exe from within whatever you are currently using to perform an in-place upgrade.

And you really can't actually "disable" an antivirus program you can stop the real time protection in most cases, but it will still have remnants running in the background.

Michael Bell

Mickey B
Reaction score
Frankly, the more you can minimalize your current running Operating System before attempting any upgrade, the better.
Personally, I would uninstall both AVG and Norton, first by using the Programs and Features applet in the Control Panel and then follow that up by running their respective, vendor specific proprietary removal tools (both of them even if you have previously uninstalled either or both) from here
https://support.norton.com/sp/en/us/home/current/solutions/kb20080710133834EN_EndUserProfile_en_us
AND
http://www.avg.com/us-en/utilities
If you are having driver issues as suggested regarding your network problem then download them in advance of an upgrade and have them available on external media (USB ThumbDrive, CD or DVD).
Get the latest build ISO from here https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/techbench
And simply double click it to mount it from within Windows 8 and run setup.exe from it to perform the in-place upgrade.

Additionally, disconnected any extra peripherals, especially anything supporting any wireless devices (Keyboard, Mouse, Network, etc.,)
I used the link provided re down loaded new build for the most part every thing works but , you knew there would be a but I clicked on edge . The blue screen opened , and nothing it just never loaded anything . I have internet connection every thing else runs fine accept edge, now what do I do ?

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Open Edge.
Click the three dots in the top right corner and select "Settings"
Under Clear browsing data, click the "Choose what to clear" button
Select everything including the "Show more", simply check all the boxes and click clear.
That should reset Edge as close to factory specs as possible.

Michael Bell

Mickey B
Reaction score
thank you Edge is working internet access working appears. In mail tile it shows I have 6 emails but there is none but that I can live with , maybe in time it will reset like everything else has.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Make sure you check all your Mail folder including what might be under "More", not just your inbox and if you have multiple accounts configured make sure you check the other accounts as well.

Ask a Question