Too many administrators!

Reaction score
As I have progressed through the various versions of Windows, I have somehow managed to acquire 5 administrator accounts (3 x Administrator, 1 x All Users and 1 x David which seems to be the latest). As I am the only user of the computer, is it possible to merge or reduce down to just the David account?

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Where are you finding this information?
Is this Home or Pro version?
Has this machine been domain joined to a windows active directory domain?
Typically I don't believe that I have ever seen nor been able to create multiple user accounts with the same name.

Capture.JPG

From an elevated command prompt type
net localgroup administrators
hit enter
what do you see

Capture2.JPG

Reaction score
Ran that and result was exactly as you show with David shown as administrator. Thanks. As I have just bought a new computer which I have not yet 'fired up'. Can I merge or delete the other so-called Administrator accounts to tidy everything up to end up with just the David account? (I will be installing the main drive from an Acronis back-up on an external hard drive).

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Ran that and result was exactly as you show with David shown as administrator
And did it show three separate listings for "Administrator" as you suggest in your OP.
Did it list All users as well.
I'm not sure what your actual end goal might be, but no you cannot "merge" accounts.
I posed three questions and you answered none.
I don't know or understand where you are seeing that you have three Administrator users.
IF you are simply talking about the title of some folders in C:\Users then those are profile folders, but even those cannot be named identically.
So at this point, knowing practically nothing, I would rather give you no information than bad information. Messing with actual user accounts, especially admin user accounts can be extremely detrimental to your ability to use the computer.

Reaction score
Not knowing your exact situation can cause problems, so a couple of questions.

Can you copy any info for the accounts you want to keep and then delete those?

Can you change some of the other Administrator accounts to normal user accounts and keep or remove after pulling pertinent data from them?

A very important warning is make sure you have at least one Admin account.......

Reaction score
To re-explain in simple terms: I have 3 accounts with "Administrator" in the name, 1 named "All users" and 1 named "David". Running the command you suggested showed that "David" is the actual administrator account.

Especially as I am about to use a new computer, can I merge or delete the non-administrator accounts? I am the only user.

Reaction score
Just want to tidy up before copying onto new computer (using Acronis) so that I end up with just the one ("David") administrator account.

Reaction score
I have used File Explorer to open non-administrator accounts and they are all old, so could be deleted. However when I try to delete I get message "You need permission to perform this action". I then went to User Accounts, but only account shown is "David".

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Just want to tidy up before copying onto new computer (using Acronis) so that I end up with just the one ("David") administrator account.
Good luck with that. If it is your intention to attempt a bare metal restore of the entire disk drive from your old computer to your new computer, be aware that it is entirely possible that the new computer will not boot, so....
I hope you use acronis to make a disk image of the new computer before you attempt it.
You would likely be better off just copying the contents (folders) of the David profile over to your new profile on your new computer and reinstall your programs fresh.
I have used File Explorer to open non-administrator accounts and they are all old, so could be deleted. However when I try to delete I get message "You need permission to perform this action". I then went to User Accounts, but only account shown is "David".
It sounds to me like these are profile folders ( I asked earlier), since apparently you can only see the folders not any associated account in C:\Users or if XP C;\Documents and Settings.
What operating system is on the old computer? I think we all assumed Windows 10 as this is a Windows 10 forum.
In order to delete folders that formerly were associated with a profile (assuming I am even guessing correctly) you will need to take ownership of the folder and grant your current account explicit full control to the parent container, subfolders and files.

Reaction score
The current computer uses Windows 10 and the new with Windows 10 pre-installed. I have tried to take ownership but have been unable to do so ("You need...").

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/wind...ership-to-explorer-right-click-menu-in-vista/
See if that works for you.
I seriously wouldn't mess with the "All users" folder although I have no idea where you are seeing "Administrator" associated with it. Nor would I likely mess with the legitimate "Administrator" folder and I do not know how or why you have three.
To summarize, I still don't understand what or why this concerns you, nor to I understand where these folders are located or how they came into being or how you are associating them with the "Administrator" account.
So..... I think, I'll just shut up now.

Ask a Question