Too many Document folders?

Reaction score
Hello everyone, I'm very new to Windows 10 (only started with it a couple of days ago) and not very computer literate to boot. So please do excuse any apparent ignorance I may seem to have.When Vista Home Premium was my OS I could access MY DOCUMENTS via Windows Explorer. There was only ever just one folder entitled DOCUMENTS. But when I click File Explorer in Windows 10 there appears to be three different DOCUMENT folders!! One appears in This PC>Documents, another in OneDrive>Documents, and a third in C:\Users\(my account name)>Documents. When I open the first two they contain identical contents but the third one has less in it. I'm sure this difference has a perfectly logical explanation but I'm just a bit confused. I also tried to pin one of those DOCUMENT folders to the task bar but it only allows me to pin FILE EXPLORER. I'm sorry if I appear naive but if anyone can kindly explain just what is going on, I'd be very grateful. Kind regards to all.

Regedit32

Reaction score
Hi Feathers,

Welcome to the Forum.

Each User Account get's its own set of Picture, Documents, Music folders etcetera.

When you're logged in to your account and open File Explorer, the Documents folder under Quick Access or This PC are one in the same folder [ just two ways to get there as some Users choose not to have the Quick Access display at all in their File Explorer window ].

These Document folders can only be accessed by the logged in User unless you set up to be shared on a Network.

The OneDrive Document folder stores a personal Note application that you can make notes in. This is stored in your personal OneDrive cloud account and you can access that from any device you own that is registered to your account. That is handy if you travel a lot, but not always with your computer.

If you choose to store other documents in this folder, those too will be accessible to other computers or devices you use away from home, when you sign-in to your personal account.

These OneDrive documents can only be accessed by you, unless you choose to share your sign-in details with someone else or Share the documents with a contact.

Reaction score
You can test this. If you right click the "Documents" folder under "This PC", you will see, under "Properties", the the path is to your username. It is a "Junction" folder, introduced in Windows 8 and, as Reg says, only there for you convenience.
Similarly, if you right click the "Onedrive" folder, you can choose which other folders to synchronize with, or, alternatively, none at all.

Reaction score
I am very grateful to both Regedit32 and davehc - thank you both for your clear and concise explanation. In my case, I don't have any other devices and no-one but me uses this computer. So do I really need OneDrive, and if not can I disable it? Similarly, I don't really want Quick Access displayed at all in the File Explorer window. How would I go about removing that? Thank you for your kindness.

Regedit32

Reaction score
I don't really want Quick Access displayed at all in the File Explorer window. How would I go about removing that?

Hi Feathers,

The simplest way to achieve this is to do the following:
  • Open File Explorer
  • In the top ribbon of File Explorer select the View tab
  • Now click on Options and select Change folder and search options
You'll now see the Folder Options window appear with the General tab displaying.

img1.png
  • Click the drop arrow next to Open File Explorer to and select This PC
  • Now in the Privacy section remove both checks then click the Clear button
  • Click Apply, then click OK
  • Close File explorer.
When you next open File Explorer you'll see something like this:

img2.png

Quick Access is still in the left column, should you change your mind and want it again, but for the time being it will not display in your main File Explorer window.

If you really want to get rid of it completely you'd need to make a modification to the Windows Registry. I can supply a REG file to do this if you'd like, but I think it probably is best to stick to the more simple method for now.​

Reaction score
Fully agree. Same applies to onedrive. It is just an innocent icon sitting there. One day you may find a need.

Reaction score
First, let me start off by saying I am very cautious about my information being accessed by other parties. So when I find my "recent" documents located in another location on my computer, a location that I don't check, I become very obsessed to terminate that location. I have not requested Quick Access to capture my work, nor have I requested to have OneDrive capture my work. I had brought this up before in the Forum and was instructed to un-pin the Quick Access folders. I did and It would seem as this resolved the issue. However, after a very short period, there were my files in Quick Access. So the fix was not permanent. FIt sounds that what Reged 32 and davehc have provided only hid the files from viewing. I have this same problem with OneDrive (I believe this is the Cloud). In fact, MS had sent me an e-mail telling me that if I wanted my files purged from the Cloud I would have to make a specific request. I have no reason nor desire to use Quick Access or OneDrive (the Cloud), I consider this practice redundant and a potential infringement on my privacy. How do I "kill" Quick Access and OneDrive (the Cloud) without hindering the rest of Windows? Neinstein

Reaction score
Having re-read the responses from Reged 32 and davehc, I think I'll try what is suggested and see if this works for me. Thank you, Reged 32 and davehc

Reaction score
I too have no apparent need for "the Cloud", "One Drive" or "Quick View". I am a sole user on a computer that is infrequently used online and when it is the sites to which I venture are few.

The information provided here seems to be information that I will use (to declutter my display) and for that I thank you. I'll give it a try. My concern is that when I do experiment with the various options I often forget where I have been or how I got there. Recovery often alludes me. An old age thing.

But, I am not complaining. It helps me to pass the time.

Reaction score
I don't see "Quick View" as part of the problem, it's a program I've used since it was included in Windows 95 back in the day. It's quite useful for viewing a number of file formats when one does not have a suitable program installed.

Reaction score
I don't see "Quick View" as part of the problem, it's a program I've used since it was included in Windows 95 back in the day. It's quite useful for viewing a number of file formats when one does not have a suitable program installed.
I stand corrected. I did not intend to complaid about "Quick View" at all. In fact, I did not know of Quick View. I intended to say "Quick Access". Pardon my ignorance.

Reaction score
I still can't get rid of "Quick Access" or "One Drive". This drives me crazy as I can't be sure that my information is being usurped.

Reaction score
Quick Access is a list of shortcuts to file or folders in the User's Account, OneDrive should show as uninstallable in Programs and Features [or on Win11 Apps and Features]. But beware that like some other things/customizations it may come back at the next Version Upgrade.

Reaction score
Quick Access is a list of shortcuts to file or folders in the User's Account, OneDrive should show as uninstallable in Programs and Features [or on Win11 Apps and Features]. But beware that like some other things/customizations it may come back at the next Version Upgrade.

Ask a Question