Too many items on Start Menu

Reaction score
Is there any way to reduce the list of what comes up when you click the start button? All those icons to the right are not needed all of the time and it would be nice to disable or hide them from sight so we just get the important info on the LHS such as power button and program lists.

Reaction score
The other alternative is to install a 3rd party program such as Classic Shell (free) or Start10 ($4.99) and you will be using the Start Menu just like Windows 7.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
You can always shrink the start menu by dragging the sides of the grey box, ideally once you've unpinned a few items as per @davidhk129's suggestion.

Reaction score
Hey, here's one for you whiz bangs. How come I can't widen my start menu? I can pull it up and down within limits but not sideways. I am guessing it may be related to my resolution which I have learned the hard way to not mess with because desktop icons scramble erratically.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
How come I can't widen my start menu?
You are right, it will only use about two thirds to three quarters of the available desktop space when expanding it to the right, so it is loosely dependent on screen resolution.
But.......
It expands to the right in increments so sometimes you have to over-drag it to get it where you want.

Reaction score
You are correct. It is currently about 3/4 screen. The double-ended drag arrow shows but nothing will move either left or right. I think it's telling me to live with it.

Reaction score
Go to settings-personalaztion-start then turn on use start full screen. Looks a different but you can still get to all the side menu by hitting the 4 lines.

Reaction score
Is there any way to reduce the list of what comes up when you click the start button? All those icons to the right are not needed all of the time and it would be nice to disable or hide them from sight so we just get the important info on the LHS such as power button and program lists.

U can delete any folders u dont want to apps from the list in File Explorer (only deleting the shortcuts). U gotta go into ur hiden 'AppData folder in a place like C:\users\YOUR USERNAME\appdata\roaming\Microsoft/Windows/start menu\programs &
c:\Programdata\microsoft\windows\start menu\programs.

Just delete any shortcuts u dont want in ur 'start menu' & after, u will find it much shorter, more organized & only ur favourite programs listed.

Reaction score
remember, whatever u choose to delete is still in ur PC. U have not un-installed it. Delete it and only the shortcut to the program is gone temporarily. Those shortcuts u can get back if u change ur mind in the future.

Ask a Question