SOLVED Trouble shutting down

Reaction score
Hi all.

A couple of days ago when I wanted to shut down my computer (Start > on/off > shut down comp.), it did not shut down, but restarted and asked for password. I then tried again to shut down the compter (Start > on/off > shut down comp.), and it actually shut down. I subsequently started the computer (pressed Start on case), entered password, and I was logged in, – but the computer almost immediately gave me a black screen. When I pressed the Start button on the case, I immediately received a logon screen (I didn't have to wait for Windows to start; Windows seemed to be already active.) WHAT IS GOING ON?

For your information: I received a Windows update less than a week ago or so. After the update, I may not have shut my computer down till the day the issue started.

I found a question from someone experiencing a similar issue on a site called windowsphoneinfo.com. However, they did not offer a solution there.

Hope someone can help me solve this problem, which is quite annoying, though it has no disastrous consequences for me (yet).

Regedit32

Reaction score
Can you let us know which particular update you downloaded please.

For example, a few weeks ago, one of the Insider updates prevented a computer from shutting down completely, unless you used a command line, to shut it down. Microsoft, have since resolved this issue, by providing a more recent update with the fix included.

If you've just updated your Standard Windows build ( rather than downloaded a Insider build ), I know that its default behaviour after installing is to set your computer screen to sleep after 10 minutes, and the hard drive to sleep after 30 minutes. You can reset this to your own preferences by clicking Start > Settings cog > System — then on left pane, selecting Power & Sleep — then on right pane adjusting the settings to your preferences.

Reaction score
Thank-you, Regedit32, but do you really think it is that simple, considering the behavior I have described in my origninal post? :) I mean, restarting instead of closing down cannot be default Windows behavior.

Regedit32

Reaction score
I doubt it will be as simple as that, however, under the Power & Sleep pane, you can also check Additional power settings, and it'd be worth checking, because your description of pushing power button on computer and instantly seeing Windows lock screen to sign-in, implies your settings include allowing your computer to go into hibernation mode.

If its set to hibernate, then it will not shut down. It will hold your System in stasis until you next attend it.

Reaction score
Regedit32, I checked Additional power settings, and my settings there do not allow my computer to go into hibernation mode.

Regedit32

Reaction score
In that case the only thing that comes to mind is Windows is doing what it will automatically do in the event of a crash during shutdown, which is to automatically restart the computer into Recovery ( windows repair ) mode.

To test this theory try the following:
  • Type sysdm.cpl into your Cortana search field, then press Enter
  • This will open the System Properties dialog. In this dialog, select the Advanced tab
  • Now click the Settings button in the third panel, titled Startup and Recovery
  • You will now see a new dialog, titled Startup and Recovery.

In this dialog, remove the check next to Automatically restart then click OK

The Startup and Recovery dialog will now be closed. Click OK on the Systems Properties dialog to close it too.

• Now try shutting down your computer, and let us know whether it now shuts down, without restarting.

Reaction score
Thanks an awful lot, Regedit32. I followed your instructions, and I have actually had the computer shut down without restarting.
What about the changed setting; should it be changed back, if the computer seems to be OK (which it does)?

Regedit32

Reaction score
You can change the setting back, but at the moment if you do, it may repeat the issue you originally raised.

You probably want to run a System File Check at the least to see whether there are issues detected that can be repaired:
  • Type cmd into your Cortana search field, then press Ctrl + Shift + Enter keys together
  • When the User Account Control prompts you, click Yes to allow an elevated command prompt to open
  • At the elevated command prompt, type SFC /scannow then press Enter to execute

Note: If it reports it found errrors and repaired them, or it says it could not repair them, repeat the SFC /scannow command a couple more times. Sometimes, Windows needs to do multiple scans and repairs, to thoroughly sort an issue.

Ask a Question