SOLVED Unable to load my prefered Security Suite

Reaction score
I have installed Windows 10 on two machines, one originally my Desktop with Windows 7 Pro and the Notebook with windows 8.1. The Desktop never gave me the option to preserve settings which was ok. I needed to wed out a lot of junk anyway. I had little problem reinstalling my preferred applications, including Charter Security Suite ( based on F-Secure ) which I had been using successfully for several years. Works grand.

I then did the same on my Notebook (Windows 8.1 ). It allowed me to keep my settings but it uninstalled Charter Security Suite. I have tried numerous times to reinstall it with no success. The setup starts and quits with no errors. Any ideas?

Michael

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Any ideas?
Nope not really.
It may be possible that there are remnants of the program still present on the upgraded system which might look, to the installer, like it is already installed.
Do you see it in Control Panel->Programs and Features?
Can you see it with a program like Revo Uninstaller?
Have you tried running the installer in compatibility mode and "As Administrator", sometimes that helps.
I'm not familar with that particular security suite but have you checked with their tech support regarding this issue to see if they have any suggestions as to what you might try.
Sometimes they'll have a forum community where you can pose a question, much the same way as you are doing here, or maybe a phone number or at least an email address to contact for support.
Additionally....
Very often most of the top tier security suite vendors have a version specific proprietary removal tool which you may be able to use to successfully remove any remnants of the product from your system and then attempt a clean install afterwards.

Reaction score
Nope not really.
It may be possible that there are remnants of the program still present on the upgraded system which might look, to the installer, like it is already installed.
Do you see it in Control Panel->Programs and Features?
Can you see it with a program like Revo Uninstaller?
Have you tried running the installer in compatibility mode and "As Administrator", sometimes that helps.
I'm not familar with that particular security suite but have you checked with their tech support regarding this issue to see if they have any suggestions as to what you might try.
Sometimes they'll have a forum community where you can pose a question, much the same way as you are doing here, or maybe a phone number or at least an email address to contact for support.
Additionally....
Very often most of the top tier security suite vendors have a version specific proprietary removal tool which you may be able to use to successfully remove any remnants of the product from your system and then attempt a clean install afterwards.

I have run both uninstallers and nothing is listed and have tried admin mode and also all compatibility modes to no avail.

Micael

Reaction score
Trouble has covered most of the possibles, but,. It sounds like it is still running somewhere, and protecting itself from Uninstalling. Have a look in both of the Program folders and see if ther2we is an entry for F-secure still remaining there. If you should be lucky enough to find one, run the .exe and see if you can disable the program from the main screen. Next, from the task manager, look in the Start-up tab and see if it is possibly still showing there, if so disable it and reboot.

Last, one of my favourites for such problems, but exercise caution!!
Open the registry and go to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software, and look for an entry there for Fsecure. If found delete it. I would suggest you backup (export) a copy of the registry before doing this.

Last hope! go here:

https://community.f-secure.com/t5/Security/F-Secure-Uninstallation-Tool/td-p/31265
And try their patetnt uninstaller.

Reaction score
Trouble and Dave,

This thing was driving me crazy. Some would argue that I wouldn't have to travel too far. Like you I suspected remnants of an earlier or a botched install but couldn't find any evidence anywhere in Programs and Features or Revo nor anywhere else. I was finally able to install it fine after using the F-Secure-Uninstallation Tool which seeks out and removes all reference to F-Secure in the registry. Thanks for your help and assistance.

Michael

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Glad to hear that you managed to resolve the problem. As I said above.....
Glad to learn that F-Secure had one as well.
Thanks for posting back and updating your thread with that information.

Ask a Question