SOLVED Unable to wake up from sleep mode

Reaction score
I upgraded to Windows 10 and now I cannot wake up my computer from sleep mode. With Windows 7 and 8.1 all I had to do was tap any key and the computer would wake up. Now that doesn't work. I have to press and hold down the power button to force a shut down and then restart. This problem only appeared after I installed Windows 10. How can I fix it? I have a 2 1/2 wait for a call back from Microsoft tech support.

Reaction score
I'm having the same issue with 10 pro following the upgrade from 7 pro. ie sleep mode locks everything up doesn't give access to the login screen and causes the nessesity for a reboot often with the prelogin screen & screensplash screen hanging. If the system is shut down fast boot works fine and the next power up is pretty quick

Tried running the power troubleshooter, resetting advanced power scheme and different power button options and tried switching to the native power scheme, as opposed to the manufacturers all to no avail. Pretty sure this is the problem - ie a hardware compatibility/driver power issues with login and waking up, but being as Fujitsu haven't even released their desk update tool for easy BIOS driver updating - that's compatible with 10 - I'm reluctant to start changing drivers just yet. Switching users also causes similar issues ie no access to login, as does logging off as a user. Powering down gives access to both users at logon with no problems.

I'm pretty sure this was a big issue during beta testing and prerelease - and MS issued specific updates to deal with it...

Being as the fast boot is working so well - about 30 seconds from power on to desktop, - I've pretty much disabled sleep and will just turn it off at night, till either Microsoft or Fujitsu release a fix.

So far everything else is working without a problem and the upgrade worked pretty much unattended. Which has got to be a first for MS. It even kept themes and desktop layouts and settings for all users and takes up less room on the disk.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Same story here. Running Windows 10 on an HP 15-p100dx. Please let us know if you get any resolution from Microsoft.

Reaction score
Same problem I have an HP Notebook - 15-f133ca. Worked fine with Windows 8.1, upgraded, now it goes to sleep but requires a power cycle and cold reboot to start up.

Otherwise I like Windows 10 ...

Reaction score
OK. Well this has to be a first. I did some searching and some folks suggested updating the graphics driver. I did. Problem solved. My HP Notebook has Intel HD graphics if that matters.

Reaction score
OK. Well this has to be a first. I did some searching and some folks suggested updating the graphics driver. I did. Problem solved. My HP Notebook has Intel HD graphics if that matters.
How do you update the graphics driver?

Reaction score
Help!!!!!!!!!!! This problem is driving me crazy as i have to do a hard shut down and reboot anytime i leave my computer for a few minutes

Reaction score
I am running Windows 10 on a desktop. Everything was fine and then I put it to sleep. Since then, NOTHING. I have a black screen. I can't see or do anything. Help please. :-( I've rebooted. Nothing. I've tried a USB recovery drive. Nothing. That might be because my boot order was changed, awhile ago, and I can't see anything on my screen to be able to change it back. I tried a Windows 10 Repair Disk. Nothing. I tried putting the files, from the USB recovery drive, onto a disk and doing a boot that way. three beeps then... Nothing. Help?

P.S. My black screen does not show a cursor either.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Try 'control + alt + delete' on black screen hang or splashscreen hang or the circle screen hang after restart - Basically there is a problem with loginui.exe, + possibly the graphics adapter or something else.

I upgraded an older win 8.1 hp650 laptop last night to 10, which wasn't tested by HP as compatible - off a downloaded ISO from MS and everything is fine even sleep! But then the graphics adapter was updated during the process. In fact it is much improved - as the errors in updating, and disk cleaning have all been rectified, and now getting a 30 second power on to working desktop BIOS!

Reaction score
Try 'control + alt + delete' on black screen hang or splashscreen hang or the circle screen hang after restart - Basically there is a problem with loginui.exe, + possibly the graphics adapter or something else.

I upgraded an older win 8.1 hp650 laptop last night to 10, which wasn't tested by HP as compatible - off a downloaded ISO from MS and everything is fine even sleep! But then the graphics adapter was updated during the process. In fact it is much improved - as the errors in updating, and disk cleaning have all been rectified, and now getting a 30 second power on to working desktop BIOS!

Thanks for the reply. It didn't work. :-( Any other ideas?

Reaction score
You need to go into your computer's BIOS set up, which you usually access the moment the manufacturer's logo appears by pressing an f key. Usually F1 or F10, but it will depend entirely on your machine and OS - and change the boot order back to something that will boot off removable media first and run recovery from that.

Reaction score
I've found a partial solution: As I said I think this is a logonUI.exe issue poss. from windows 7 legacy - I disabled 'require user password when machine wakes up' in user account settings and it now sleeps and wakes up as it should. However if I switch users, try to have more than one user logged on at a time, or log off as a user the bug is replicated, regardless of whether the machine has been asleep or not... I suspect that's why the OS isn't seeing it as an error, and running recovery, as all that is happening is that it's waiting for the correct user name / password combination to be entered, but not providing the UI for that to happen.

Reaction score
I understand about changing the boot order, etc. but I don't see anything to go anywhere. I don't see the logo. The entire time, all I see is a black screen. Nothing else ever. I've tried booting with the f key. I've tried booting with the shift key (I read about somewhere). I've tried waiting for the boot to finish and then press control and then enter my password. The interesting thing is, my computer still backed up to my external hard drive (which I do incrementally 6 times and then a full the 7th) so it isn't just a brick. Somehow, I need to be able to get the black screen to go.

Reaction score
On my HP Laptop to enter BIOS you press power on then immediately and repeatedly press the ESC key. This gives you a startup menu (in 'Dos' type text) and access to the BIOS by pressing the F10 key. You need to search for how to access BIOS in your machine. You can enter BIOS with no hard disk or removable media installed. The problem is that Win 10 is now designed to boot up very quickly. If you miss the BIOS 'time window' you will go into blank screen hang. If you are still struggling take the hard disk with Windows on out of the machine, and turn on the machine and see what happens. It should go straight into BIOS.

Reaction score
I ended up taking the hard disk out and... black screen. Can't see anything. I checked to make sure it wasn't my keyboard. I checked to make sure it wasn't the video card.

Reaction score
I may have the answer. Go Settings, System and then Power and Sleep, then Additional Power Settings. Will probably show Balanced, click on change plan settings. Assume we've all opted for computer never turning off the display and never going to sleep. Now click on Change Advanced Power Settings, click on Hard Disk. My computer had been set, by default, to turn the Hard Disk off after 20 minutes. Now changed it to 180 minutes.

Reaction score
Maarm - Thank you for the help. Please read my other messages. I can't see ANYTHING to get into Windows to make the changes you are suggesting. I can't see the logo. I can't see the BIOS. I can't see the boot. I can't see a cursor, etc... :-(

Ask a Question