SOLVED Unable to wake up from sleep mode

Reaction score
Yep. Checked it too. This is the first time that I haven't been able to fix my own computer problem. :-\ Ianrod65, thank you so much for all of your suggestions!

Reaction score
Sorry mate, I was replying to the original topic which was "unable to wake from sleep mode." Possibly reinstalling Windows 8 from disk, provided you have the disk and the Windows key.

Reaction score
I upgraded to Windows 10 and now I cannot wake up my computer from sleep mode. With Windows 7 and 8.1 all I had to do was tap any key and the computer would wake up. Now that doesn't work. I have to press and hold down the power button to force a shut down and then restart. This problem only appeared after I installed Windows 10. How can I fix it? I have a 2 1/2 wait for a call back from Microsoft tech support.

Solved it !

The fault is the sleep option Windows 10, it fails and crashes your computer. You computer's power-key [in the start menu] needs a popup menu with ' Hibernate' 'Shut Down' and 'Restart'.

1. Click starts > settings > system

2. Left side menu click > Power and Sleep.

3. Scroll down click > Additional Power Settings.

4. Left menu. For each of these Click > 'Choose what the power buttons do' and Click > 'Choose what closing the lid does'. Make these changes [battery and plugged in]:

When I press the power button ~ Hibernate.

When I press the sleep button ~ Turn Off the Display.

When I close the Lid ~ Sleep.

Now return to 3 above > Additional Power Settings and continue:

5. Look for 'Plan shown on the battery metre' and a highlighted circle. Yours could be 'Automatic balances or balances[recommended]. If your computer is highlighted [example DELL] use that option.

6. Adjacent your choice click 'Change Plan Setting'

7 On next screen click 'Change advanced power settings'

8. A new menu appears. Move down and click > Power Button & Lid

9. Go down the menu and make these changes [battery and plugged in];

Lid close .... change to 'Sleep' for both options.

Power Button ... change to 'Hibernate' for both options

Sleep Button ... change to 'Turn Off the display'.

Don't forget to OK before closing the process.

Power option key 'sleep' has now been removed and Hibernate installed. Your computer should no longer crash to a black screen. Use Hibernate, Shut Down or Restart.

Reaction score
I'm having the same issue with 10 pro following the upgrade from 7 pro. ie sleep mode locks everything up doesn't give access to the login screen and causes the nessesity for a reboot often with the prelogin screen & screensplash screen hanging. If the system is shut down fast boot works fine and the next power up is pretty quick

Tried running the power troubleshooter, resetting advanced power scheme and different power button options and tried switching to the native power scheme, as opposed to the manufacturers all to no avail. Pretty sure this is the problem - ie a hardware compatibility/driver power issues with login and waking up, but being as Fujitsu haven't even released their desk update tool for easy BIOS driver updating - that's compatible with 10 - I'm reluctant to start changing drivers just yet. Switching users also causes similar issues ie no access to login, as does logging off as a user. Powering down gives access to both users at logon with no problems.

I'm pretty sure this was a big issue during beta testing and prerelease - and MS issued specific updates to deal with it...

Being as the fast boot is working so well - about 30 seconds from power on to desktop, - I've pretty much disabled sleep and will just turn it off at night, till either Microsoft or Fujitsu release a fix.

So far everything else is working without a problem and the upgrade worked pretty much unattended. Which has got to be a first for MS. It even kept themes and desktop layouts and settings for all users and takes up less room on the disk.

turn off required password after sleep or hib.

Reaction score
I upgraded to Windows 10 and now I cannot wake up my computer from sleep mode. With Windows 7 and 8.1 all I had to do was tap any key and the computer would wake up. Now that doesn't work. I have to press and hold down the power button to force a shut down and then restart. This problem only appeared after I installed Windows 10. How can I fix it? I have a 2 1/2 wait for a call back from Microsoft tech support.

Reaction score

Reaction score
Disable power management and problem totally goes away.
This situation also caused fan to periodically go into high speed and could not be stopped unless you powered down .......had to wait a full minute before starting up again.

Reaction score
Hi, I saw people having all sorts of trouble with sleep mode, and I myself with a new HP EliteBook Revolve 810 G2 had the same issue. So happens that I have solved it myself and decided to register to at least share my experience in hopes to at least help a handful of you if possible.

Requirements:
Any machine using the Intel integrated graphics. (I don't know if these are present with the AMD integrated graphics)

Symptoms:
- When attempting to recover from sleep mode or hibernate, I get a black screen for about 30 seconds, then the laptop goes through a hard reboot and brings me back to the Windows login with everything lost.
- When cold booting, at random times, the screen would turn black at the login screen, flicker a few times, and be presented with a blue screen of death indicating issues with timing in video.

Scenarios:
- Fresh install of Windows 10 Pro
- Latest graphics drivers from HP and graphics drivers Intel were tested.
- BIOS is running on the latest version from HP

Cause:
There is a bug with the Intel drivers where allocating more than 128MB of your system memory to the integrated GPU would cause the system to be unstable.

Solution:
Access your system BIOS and lower the memory allocation to your integrated graphics to anything 128MB or lower.

In my case, it so happened that I changed the setting in my BIOS to 512MB since I had 12GB of RAM on my system, but my machine became really unstable during sleep recovery. By changing this setting back, everything was back to normal.

Reaction score
FIXED ?? Looks like the " wont wake up problem " is solved on my Pavillion by running Registry First Aid, ticking every box, that is Green, yellow and red after the scan and go fix / clean it button. Obviously create a restore point first. Left over dreggs from the upgrade I guess. I also run Privazer which has proven to be a good and detailed cleaner. I run Privazer 1st followed by Reg First Aid and then Defrag. So for now the sledge hammer is back in the shed. I take care to set options NO to taking out older Windows 7 OS when running Privazer at this stage. Perhaps a fix for some of the other problems too.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Maarm - Thank you for the help. Please read my other messages. I can't see ANYTHING to get into Windows to make the changes you are suggesting. I can't see the logo. I can't see the BIOS. I can't see the boot. I can't see a cursor, etc... :-(
Same here. After upgradibg from 8.1, nothing comes up except blue background and dotted circle. I got a lot of work to complete this weekend.

Reaction score
Wake up problem has come back. Update trouble still there. Had enough of this. 2nd time I've tried the upgrade. Neither Microsoft nor HP seem to have updates to fix it. Well it was free. Gone back to 7. Does everything I wont perfect. Recently purchased Envy laptop is fine on 10.

Reaction score
Same here. After upgradibg from 8.1, nothing comes up except blue background and dotted circle. I got a lot of work to complete this weekend.
Problem resolved. I keep on switching on and off my DELL Inspiron 15R PC a couple of times. It seems every reboot the process goes to next level, probably some of the Windows codes are loaded on every boot, as if it is doing a slow reboot. At the point when there is no indication of activity, I did a hard shut down and reboot again. After the fourth time reboot, I could see the Windows 10 welcoming and later the login screen. All apps look ok, even my own compiled VB 6..0 apps run okay. Have not tried if I can run the VB 6.0 Enterprise.

Reaction score
Whatever you do wont work if your computer isn't supported by Windows 10. Just found out from Microsoft support that you need to check with your computer manufacturer to see if your model will work with Windows 10. I have a fairly old Toshiba Equium and according to Toshiba's website it wont work, and they don't have a driver upgrade for it. Guess I'll have to revert to an earlier version. There's progress for you!

Ask a Question