Unwanted Updates from Microsoft Products

Reaction score
We have got Microsoft Office, Home and Student 2007, and only require some of it NOT all.
YET, we get all the updates for that package.
With Windows 7 we could stop the uninstalled parts from updating. Windows 10 seems to be an "Out of Date" updater, whereby you cannot stop unwanted updates.

How about the engineers following this forum, EITHER "put a patch in for updater to read what is not wanted" OR allow the users to stop the updates in the first place?

Reaction score
How about the engineers following this forum, EITHER "put a patch in for updater to read what is not wanted" OR allow the users to stop the updates in the first place?

There is no Microsoft engineers following any Windows forum websites except one.
We are not it.
I suggest that you post your request/complaint to Microsoft via the Feedback app which is where Microsoft will read and take notes.

There is a method which involves registry editing. The jury is still out on the effectiveness of such method.
I personally will not touch it. But, that's just me.
Please don't ask me the details of the method. You will have to google for it, or from some one else.

Last edited:
Reaction score
This is not a solution, just the path I have taken.

I also got a little tired of the updates for all items of MS office, although I had only selected and installed the "Word", on its own.
My solution was to uninstall the whole thing, ( which I had paid good money for!) and install Abiword. It is free and does pretty much everything Word can do, including using docx files.

Reaction score
I only use Word and Excel out of the whole Office 365 suite. I find it easy to ignore the rest and and don't worry about the bandwidth consumed by updates.

Reaction score
"There is no Microsoft engineers following any Windows forum websites except one!

A few more than one, but I don't think they have the time or interest to read and act on third party forum exchanges. They have a mass of input to study on their own forums.

Ask a Question