Update caused black screen

Reaction score
My pc was updating a driver. Looked like all was going well. Said update and install was finished that the pc would restart and I would see a black screen that might flash while it was restarting. That what I have now a whole day later a black screen flashing about every minute. Does anyone have any idea what is going on. It's been almost 12 hours now and I still have that black screen.
Please help

Reaction score
It seems like you are experiencing an issue with your PC after a driver update. The continuous flashing black screen could indicate a problem with the driver installation or compatibility. To troubleshoot the issue, try these steps:

1. Forced shutdown: Press and hold the power button until your PC shuts down completely. Then, power it back on and check if the black screen persists.
  2. Safe Mode: Boot your PC into Safe Mode by repeatedly pressing the F8 key or Shift+F8 key during startup. If you can access Safe Mode, try uninstalling the recently installed driver or using System Restore to revert to a previous state.
  3. Startup Repair: Use a Windows installation media to boot your PC and choose the Startup Repair option. This will attempt to fix any issues preventing proper startup.
If these steps don't resolve the issue, it's recommended to seek professional help from a technician or contact your PC manufacturer's support for further assistance.

Reaction score
When updating video cards, it's important that you set everything back to stock, especially if you have an AMD card and a wide screen with the card tweaked for gaming.

Reaction score
I take it that you don't have a backup program like Macrium Reflect or Acronis True Image...just to name 2.
1. If you do get your PC working again, I suggest you do daily backups with one of these applications.
2. Have you tried the suggestions by @manbit?
3. If you have access to your computer in between black screens, try
A. Ctrl+R, to bring up the run dialog.​
B. Choose Control Panel. Left click the title in Windows Explorer & choose All Control Panel Items.​
C. Click Programs & Features​
D. On the left side, click "View installed updates".​
E. See if you can find the update. If so, double clicking it should ask if you want to uninstall it.​

Ask a Question