Updates Failing

Reaction score
Hi, similar issue here. I get the message "attempting to recover installation" or "undoing changes made to your computer" when it reboots. Also a recurring "ultimatum" about updating before November bc support will stop. Any help would be appreciated. Here's a screenshot of my update history for reference
1568665335676.png

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
I've moved you post to begin a new thread for you so as not to hijack the other members thread
Here is a link that may help with your particular problem.

Basically it boils down to third party software (antivirus programs), peripheral hardware and or associated drivers for that hardware.
I can tell you from a reasonably recent experience of my own....
Trying to upgrade a friends HP Desktop I found that it had a wireless card installed at the factory, when I removed it the upgrade finished without further incident, so....
Pay particular attention to that document when it mentions removing any and all peripheral devices, leaving only a USB connected keyboard, USB connect mouse and a monitor.

Reaction score
There are other things going on. Many folks are having problems because they have a partial install of IIS. If you want to check, look in the Windows\System32\inetsrv folder and see if you have any files or folders in that location. If you do, let us know.

There is also a situation if you use Macrium Reflect. As Trouble mentions, there could be other specific situations. Using the link below by give you some pertinent info.

Reaction score
I've moved you post to begin a new thread for you so as not to hijack the other members thread
Here is a link that may help with your particular problem.

Basically it boils down to third party software (antivirus programs), peripheral hardware and or associated drivers for that hardware.
I can tell you from a reasonably recent experience of my own....
Trying to upgrade a friends HP Desktop I found that it had a wireless card installed at the factory, when I removed it the upgrade finished without further incident, so....
Pay particular attention to that document when it mentions removing any and all peripheral devices, leaving only a USB connected keyboard, USB connect mouse and a monitor.

Thank you for your reply! I clicked the link you suggested but I don't know in which "subcategory" I am, since, as my screenshot shows, there are no more characters after the 0xC1900101reference. I've also been reading terrible things about the 1903 upgrade. Should I be glad it's not updating and hold out? (no idea what will happen in November when my version is supposedly "no longer supported")

Reaction score
There are other things going on. Many folks are having problems because they have a partial install of IIS. If you want to check, look in the Windows\System32\inetsrv folder and see if you have any files or folders in that location. If you do, let us know.

There is also a situation if you use Macrium Reflect. As Trouble mentions, there could be other specific situations. Using the link below by give you some pertinent info.

>>ook in the Windows\System32\inetsrv folder and see if you have any files or folders in that location. If you do, let us know.

Thanks! I will ASAP.

Reaction score
Trouble's link gives you log files you could check for error or failed or whatever type of description which might mean fail. The 101 error is an unspecified error so it can't really be pinned down without checking the logs. Hopefully, the setupdiag.exe utility will give you some info.

Reaction score

Thank you, Saltgrass! I just ran SetUpDiag but in the results I get "go to https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/desktop/Debug/system-error-codes to see error codes" but I can't find my specific error code in the setupdiagresults text file...

Reaction score
The setupdiag utility should have left a report that identified IIS as a problem.

We need to uncheck all the IIS boxes so as to disable all the components. If you do it now you will probably get an error on at least two. If you do get the error, you will probably need to rename or move the config folder out of its current folder.

Open a run box and type optionalfeatures.exe and let it work. It will open the Windows Features dialog so you can look at all the options for Internet Information Services. You should have 6 boxes checked, which need to be unchecked. If you can't uncheck them, go back and change the config folder in the inetsrv folder.

Another option is to start your system in safe mode and rename the inetsrv folder. The system should rebuild the folder and place additional files. If you use Safe Mode, make sure you know your password.

Either of these options should allow you to complete the upgrade. Since I did not actually have the problem, everything I know was told to me.

Reaction score
The report the setupdiag utility puts out is very small and has one particular section regarding errors. You should be able to copy and paste that or just attach by zipping first.

Reaction score
The setupdiag utility should have left a report that identified IIS as a problem.

We need to uncheck all the IIS boxes so as to disable all the components. If you do it now you will probably get an error on at least two. If you do get the error, you will probably need to rename or move the config folder out of its current folder.

Open a run box and type optionalfeatures.exe and let it work. It will open the Windows Features dialog so you can look at all the options for Internet Information Services. You should have 6 boxes checked, which need to be unchecked. If you can't uncheck them, go back and change the config folder in the inetsrv folder.

Another option is to start your system in safe mode and rename the inetsrv folder. The system should rebuild the folder and place additional files. If you use Safe Mode, make sure you know your password.

Either of these options should allow you to complete the upgrade. Since I did not actually have the problem, everything I know was told to me.
I did 1 and 2 happened.
1568753577465.png

Then I saw your latest message, so here it goes:

Matching Profile found: AdvancedInstallerGenericFailure - 4019550D-4CAA-45B0-A222-349C48E86F71
SetupDiag version: 1.6.0.0
System Information:
Machine Name = PEDROLEE-PC
Manufacturer = Dell Inc.
Model = OptiPlex 755
HostOSArchitecture = x64
FirmwareType = PCAT
BiosReleaseDate = 20111207000000.000000+000
BiosVendor = Phoenix ROM BIOS PLUS Version 1.10 A21
BiosVersion = A21
HostOSVersion = 10.0.17134
HostOSBuildString = 17134.1.amd64fre.rs4_release.180410-1804
TargetOSBuildString = 10.0.18362.264 (19h1_release_svc_prod3.190712-1544)
HostOSLanguageId =
HostOSEdition = Core
RegisteredAV = Avast Antivirus
FilterDrivers = FileInfo
UpgradeStartTime = 14-Aug-19 12:00:53 AM
UpgradeEndTime = 15-Sep-19 8:09:57 PM
UpgradeElapsedTime = 32.20:09:04
CV = qwQ7qFivqkKd058t
ReportId = 54F644E9-73BD-4700-B3AF-3620273620BA

Error: Found AdvancedInstaller Generic failure.
Last Phase: Pre SysPrep
Last Operation: Upgrade security
Executable: iissetup.exe
Exit Code: 13
Phase: 38
Mode: Install (first install)
Component: Microsoft-Windows-IIS-HttpProtocol, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31bf3856ad364e35, ProcessorArchitecture=amd64
Refer to "https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/desktop/Debug/system-error-codes" for error information.

Last Setup Phase:
Phase Name: Pre SysPrep
Phase Started: 15-Sep-19 7:15:38 PM
Phase Ended: 15-Sep-19 7:15:38 PM
Phase Time Delta: 00:00:00
Completed Successfully? True

Last Setup Operation:
Operation Name: Upgrade security
Operation Started: 15-Sep-19 7:14:58 PM
Operation Ended: 15-Sep-19 7:15:38 PM
Operation Time Delta: 0:00:00:40.0000000
Completed Successfully? True

Reaction score
Yep, that is your problem. There are many more check boxes then you show in your attachment.

Error: Found AdvancedInstaller Generic failure.
Last Phase: Pre SysPrep
Last Operation: Upgrade security
Executable: iissetup.exe
Exit Code: 13
Phase: 38
Mode: Install (first install)

Reaction score
Thank you, Saltgrass, for your prompt response and guidance! I don't know how apparent it is that my knowledge is pretty limited; the screenshot I sent shows that I unchecked the boxes next to the names of folders or subfolders you mention, but I don't recall seeing six of them as you said there should be.

I'm not sure I understand what you think the problem is. You mean there should be more boxes to uncheck? What does this mean and what would be my next step? I'm a little lost.

Reaction score
There are about 40 check boxes that need to be checked.. Make sure and expand the tree all the way to the "Internet Information Services Hostable Web Core.....

IISboxes.JPG

Reaction score
I'm confused. i went to the IIS folder and unchecked the few checked boxes I saw in it, as you suggested, then posted the screenshot you saw. Should I now check all the boxes you show in your screenshot?

Reaction score
All the boxes need to be unchecked. The one I marked is usually one of the problem ones.

Do you normally use IIS?

Have you tried renaming the inetsrv folder?

I won't post again for a while to let things calm down...

Reaction score
Gotcha. I never use IIS, I only knew it existed when you mentioned it and I don't even know what it's for. I thought I'd try your first option before renaming the inetsrv folder because it seemed simpler. On to uncheck boxes, catch you later and thanks again!

Reaction score
Gotcha. I never use IIS, I only knew it existed when you mentioned it and I don't even know what it's for. I thought I'd try your first option before renaming the inetsrv folder because it seemed simpler. On to uncheck boxes, catch you later and thanks again!
OK, ran optional features again, only the main folder (IIS) was checked. I unchecked it and got the same error I reported in my last screenshot.

Reaction score
If you have no IIS boxes checked, then your upgrade should complete. If it isn't then something else is going on... Every thing I see with your situation is like the one I linked and several others in the Microsoft forum. Maybe the new build will be able to bypass the problem.

Ask a Question