SOLVED Upgrade from 7

Reaction score
We are about to upgrade from Windows 7 to Windows 10 here at work. We are an engineering firm where most the workstations are heavy with design software/applications. I would like to move from 7 to 10 without having to reinstall the numerous applications on each machine. What is the right way to go about this? Thanks in advance
TH

Reaction score
I've done several Upgrades and haven't had many problems except with those programs that were not compatible with Win10. There is very little to no support for 16-bit programs that worked with WinXP. Windows 7 had available software that gave it a Windows XP Mode which helped some with the transition from WinXP. All of the new Win10 computers I have set up were running the 64-bit version of Win10 but can have 32-bit [x86] programs installed. Haven't seen many 32-bit programs that Win10 couldn't run. Will also need to get suitable/compatible drivers for devices that work on the edition of Win10 you will be using, e.g. 64-bit or 32-bit. If getting new computers it should be too big of a problem but more of a problem if Upgrading older computers.

I haven't had but a few times where an older program didn't work or had to be reinstalled but a search of the 'net for specifics will help. If too old the 32-bit vs.64-bit will be important. The Pro version of WinXP was the first available as either 32-bit or 64-bit depending upon the hardware, a 64-bit computer can run a 32-bit OS.

Last edited:
Reaction score
You could scan the websites of the companies who make the software you are concerned about to see if they have up[grades or patches for W10. If you find that some business critical application does not work on W10 then stay on W17 until you find an alternative.

If some of these applications are written in-house then maybe clone one machine onto a new PC and upgrade to W10 and see what still works or doesn't.

And don't forget Murphy's law. There will be one of your machines that just will not run properly after upgrading to W10.

Reaction score
It should be pointed out, also, that, when you run the upgrade, you are asked if you want to keep everything or make a fresh install. Obviously the first option is for you. Still no guarantee that all will be working correctly, though

Reaction score
Trav, please post here and tell us how you get on...even if it all works perfectly!

Reaction score
Trav Don't forget, Back up, backup, backup. Easy to go back when you have created disk images.
Install on one machine first and check it's performance on Win 10

Ask a Question