Upgrade to Win 10 Failed

Reaction score
When Win 10 was released some months ago I ordered my upgrade. The upgrade tried to install on my Win 8.1 ASUS PC every day for about a month, then gave up. Why would this be happening? Is there some kind of incompatibility? Do I continue to wait?

Reaction score
At what point does it fail? It would help if you filled out your system specs as well.

Reaction score
At what point does it fail? It would help if you filled out your system specs as well.

Windows 8.1

ASUS eK COMPUTER INC.

ASUS All in one PC Series

Intel ore i7-4500u CPU @ 1.80GHz

8GB RAM

64 bit

NVIDIA GeForce GT 740M

What other specs do you need?

The PC is only a few months old.

I just kept getting the message each morning saying the Win 10 upgrade had failed. I have two other PCs and they had no problem with the upgrade, they just upgraded automatically.

I have always installed all the Windows updates apart from Silverlight and a Canon printer driver that could never be installed.

I did download the Win 10 ISO a couple of months ago but not being very computer literate I'm a bit doubtful that I would be able to use this successfully, especially as there seems to be a problem with this PC upgrading.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
First of all.....
Make a disk image of your machine in its' current state, read this....
https://www.windows10forums.com/threads/please-for-your-own-peace-of-mind.794/

Then....
Make absolutely sure that the ISO you have is the proper version (Home or Pro) and the proper bit architecture (32 or 64 bit) for upgrading your Windows 8.1 machine.
Performing the in-place upgrade from within 8.1 to 10, using the ISO is then a simple matter of right clicking the ISO and choosing "Mount" then running setup.exe from the mounted drive (which you should see after mounting appear in File Explorer).

The installation media (ISO) can be obtain through either of these two resources.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/techbench
OR
http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

Reaction score
I already have a system image on an external drive made a couple of days ago. Does the system image have to be on DVDs?

Because I am not sure now that I checked the win version when I burnt that upgrade iso a few months ago I will need to download it again, which is a pain as we are very slow internet speeds here.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Does the system image have to be on DVDs?
Nope, I don't believe so. I did one just the other day as a test and put it on an external USB drive. It seemed to be fine.

Ask a Question