Upgrading to Windows 10?? Don't do it..... STOP!

Reaction score
I'd go back to Windows 7 if I could....but of course, Microsoft won't allow that, either.
That may not be correct IF one manages to have the Factory Restore Discs or used the provided program to create the Discs when prompted [or later] that can be used to reinstall Win7 to its as-shipped condition. It's not a go-back which is prevented after a certain lapse of time, it's a clean restart. Best to do it on a blank drive to get the booting process correctly established that may have been changed by the install of Win10. I've done it on some computers that had problems [after saving the users' data files] then with Win7 running correctly Upgraded them to Win10, not much trouble just some time.

Reaction score
Sensible people with foresight would have kept a slipstreamed W7 disk uptodate before taking advantage of the upgrade offer. I could have bit didn't as I had been using the Insider stuff for nigh on a year and knew what I was letting myself in for.

I do wonder about the internal h/w and s/w state of the PCs where, like the poster above, everything seems to go wrong. Those of us who used Windows NT3.5 for actual work when it first came out ( like me) probably think W10 is the most reliable o/s they have ever had!

Reaction score
"...Factory Restore Discs..." Don't recall the last time discs were provided. (Certainly not with W7 or W10.)
"Best to do it on a blank drive..." In fact, I tried. My harddrive failed, so I bought a replacement. However, after many hours trying to install W7 (using the key on my computer, trying to download image, etc.) eventually gave up, and bought an entirely new computer which came with W10. (My old computer is now Linux.)

"Sensible people with foresight...." Well, ya. I'm foolish. I keep thinking Windows will do what I want, instead of being forced to do what it wants.

"...old fogey..." I hear ya. Remember MS-DOS? Back when computers did what you told them instead of vice versa. lol (I'm not even a fan of all the "Are you sure?" queries. Screw you, computer. Don't second guess me!)

Reaction score
I can't figure out how people can't install Windows 10 and why they have so many problems? From my experience and expertise, which is nothing professional and is as an enthusiast and is all self taught (since 1987 and Windows Ver-2) is that, bad installs or problematic installs of Windows 10 Pro or Home 32 or 64bit are mainly due to faulty hardware (as Windows 10 installs on very basic hardware) but, the main cause is of wrong installations. I have installed Windows 10 Pro and Home (and many previous Windows systems) on many many computers that I have built.

I have even installed Windows 10 Home 64bit on an Acer One-Happy2 with an Intel Atom 1.66GHz with 2-Cores and 4-Threads, chipset-Intel NM10 and its lousy Intel-Media Accelerator 3150 graphics that has a max screen resolution of 1024x600 or 800x600 (which doesn't cope very well with Microsoft Edge) and its measly DDR3-PC3-1070 (667MHz) 1024MB RAM. Yes, I eventually had to upgrade the HDD to an SSD and put 2GB of RAM (as 2GB its max that it takes) and as this system took 5 minutes to boot lol but, it worked with Windows 10 Home 64bit and it installed! The minimum spec for Windows 10 from Microsoft is very adequately specified and its very ambitious as its only:
  • Processor: 1 gigahertz (GHz) or faster processor or SoC
  • RAM: 1 gigabyte (GB) for 32-bit or 2 GB for 64-bit
  • Hard disk space: 16 GB for 32-bit OS or 20 GB for 64-bit OS
  • Graphics card: DirectX 9 or later with WDDM 1.0 driver
  • Display: 800 x 600 < btw; this resolution is abit of a joke...lol
Anyway, as has been previously stated, by a few, Windows 10 is a wonderful OP system and has very few flaws, its the best OP system that Microsoft has ever released. I can vouch for this, as I've been using Windows since the late 80's and from Windows Ver-2, so that's going back a few years lol

Last edited:
Reaction score
"The minimum spec for Windows 10...." You forgot to mention that internet is basically mandatory, as are many other aspects of Windows. (NO help without it. Even the rather moronic link to get help with connection problems.)

Windows 10 makes it either very difficult, or impossible, to control MY computer. It's VERY annoying to have my work interrupted (or destroyed entirely). And, no, it does not matter what I'm doing....I could be playing PONG, and that's MY business, MY priority which Windows should NOT be telling me, "Screw off for a few hours while I **** up your settings." followed by several hours of time wasted trying to fix my set up, restoring lost files, and restarting whatever I was doing.

Since you're so happy with Windows, answer some simple questions:
1) How do you get help when you're offline?
2) How do you get rid of unwanted software?
3) How do you stop Windows Update?
4) How do you disable/remove Windows?
5) Why is Windows 10 so much slower than Linux?
6) Why is Windows 10 so much slower than Window 7?
7) Why doesn't "Restart" actually restart?
8) etc. (The list goes on....this is just a few items off the top of my head. Not a day goes by without cursing something about Windows 10.) By far, the most offensive things are those that USED TO BE FINE, and have been downgraded or entirely broken.

Reaction score
I have 3 PCs here. An old one (2009 Acer), a new one( 2016 Home made) and a laptop(Lenovo) . All have W10, One of them was on the Insider program since the beginning.
We have internet on cable, always online, if it went down my phone has a hotspot built in.
We are careful about 'special offers' The bits of Windows we are not interested in we 'uninstall them' as soon as we see them Defender and Malware bytes keep a lot of stuff away.
We dont stop Windows update but on Update Tuesday I check for updates 1/2 hour before I go to bed so they don't cause any disruption.
I don't want to remove or disable Windows. I know how to use Linux and have Linux running on a Raspberry Pi but I don't want it on my main PC.
It certainly used to be. Before I retired I worked on both Windows 2000 and Redhat Linux and on identical hardware Linux was faster. .. but some of that could be the difference between greenscreen editors and compilors to Visual Studio. Now? I don't know.
Again, I don't know but I bet it isn't.
Restart does restart on all my PCs. Note that I have all the power saving, sleeping and hibernation turned off.

Note that I only use WiFi when I am on the laptop and even then most of the time it is on Ethernet. (Good cables to a name brand gigabit switch and a name brand router. The ISP thingy is bridged.
We use Thunderbird mail on the main machines with Outlook from Office 2016 on the laptop as a trial. Moat mail is from the ISP's mail ( Yahoo) or Gmail.

Windows just works for us as it should. However. The spring release sounds as if it will have some problems as from what I read in the Insider stuff ( I am not running any insider builds at the moment) it will have lots of new useless apps in it.

Reaction score
"The minimum spec for Windows 10...." You forgot to mention that internet is basically mandatory, as are many other aspects of Windows. (NO help without it. Even the rather moronic link to get help with connection problems.)

Windows 10 makes it either very difficult, or impossible, to control MY computer. It's VERY annoying to have my work interrupted (or destroyed entirely). And, no, it does not matter what I'm doing....I could be playing PONG, and that's MY business, MY priority which Windows should NOT be telling me, "Screw off for a few hours while I **** up your settings." followed by several hours of time wasted trying to fix my set up, restoring lost files, and restarting whatever I was doing.

Since you're so happy with Windows, answer some simple questions:
1) How do you get help when you're offline?
2) How do you get rid of unwanted software?
3) How do you stop Windows Update?
4) How do you disable/remove Windows?
5) Why is Windows 10 so much slower than Linux?
6) Why is Windows 10 so much slower than Window 7?
7) Why doesn't "Restart" actually restart?
8) etc. (The list goes on....this is just a few items off the top of my head. Not a day goes by without cursing something about Windows 10.) By far, the most offensive things are those that USED TO BE FINE, and have been downgraded or entirely broken.

‘Don Wickson’ this is a longer answer than your question(s) ever and really deserve! Firstly, since Windows 95, Microsoft had one purpose in mind and they were the innovators of such an internet system, way before Apple though of such an innovative OP system. If you are so fond of ‘Linux’ then, use it and forget about Windows! Now to your s???y questions;

1. Windows 10 is an online operating system, if you don’t have the internet then you can use certain software with limited functions e.g. Microsoft Office but they are really internet based and that's how they work.
2. Uninstall them, if you didn’t know such basics? Then do the following; Go to Control panel > Programs > Uninstall a program and chose the program that you want to uninstall.But not Windows 10 apps right-click the Start button and click Control Panel. Go to Programs and Features (if your Control Panel is in Category view, go to Uninstall a Program).
3. Firstly, why would you want to stop ‘Windows Update’? Secondly, if ‘Windows Update’ bothers you so much then, change its active hours to let’s say, 3:00am to 3:15 or whenever you are not using your computer, then it won’t bother you and you won’t also get updates, which is a very bad move! Thirdly, if you are not on the internet (as you so strongly complain that you have to be with Win10) then ‘Windows Update’ will not work and it won’t bother you. You can’t have both!
4. Why would you want to disable/remove Windows? If you want to remove Windows 10 then, use your ‘Linux’ set the boot order so that instead of booting from the hard drive first, you boot from either the CD/DVD or from a USB drive. Once your PC is set to try to boot first from the alternative drive, insert your DVD or USB stick and reboot. Then, select "Start Linux Mint" from the first menu.
5. The answer to this question is and let me ask you a question in reverse, why isn’t Linux as popular as Windows? And why aren’t billions of people using Linux? Linux is a basic OP system and it can’t compare with Windows! It’s like comparing a Dos based system to the current Windows on current hardware.
6. It’s not, that is another myth of allot of people! Windows 10 doesn’t ‘Crash’ as often if ever like the dreaded Windows 7! Windows 7 was a dog of a system, I was glad to get rid of it!
7. "Restart" always works for me! I have never ever had problems with "Restart" on any of my Windows systems! You must have some major hardware problems and/or software problems or both on your computer!
8. Finally, people like you shouldn’t use Windows as any Windows system and any design would be problematic for you! Go and use a Dos based system and you will be happy with it!

I'm 'VERY HAPPY' with Windows 10 and I install every update that my Windows 10 Pro requires! I haven't had any problems, its reliable, stable and does everything that i want! And as the saying goes 'I'm as happy as a pig in mud' or a Dolphin roaming the open seas lol take care and don't stress Mr Don Wickson my suggestion is, if you don't like Windows 10 don't use it!

Last edited:
Reaction score
1. Windows 10 is an online operating system.
Great. So where can I get Windows so I can use my computer when I don't have online access?

2. Uninstall them, if you didn’t know such basics?.... Programs > Uninstall a program
Works for some stuff. Doesn't work for a lot of stuff. (Window Update, Groove, and Firewall come to mind. Lots of other stuff, but since windows Update has frozen my computer, I can't do anything on it right now.)

3. Firstly, why would you want to stop ‘Windows Update’?
Primarily because it's so time consuming, interrupts whatever I'm doing, and NEVER fixes/updates anything that actually NEEDS to be done.
...change its active hours...
Not a lot of good if I'm not here to change them. Nor much good if I have to be here to restart my computer.

....not on the internet.... Not online 24/7. When I am, I don't want to have to spend 6 hours (or more) updating.

4. Why would you want to disable/remove Windows?
Not sure what I was thinking when I wrote that. I know I had problems installing Windows & Linux on one computer. Gave up on that.

5. Why isn’t Linux as popular as Windows? And why aren’t billions of people using Linux?
I'd guess because most people are perfectly happy having other people tell them what to do. Sure, it's more challenging, but the user is in control.

6. Windows 10 doesn’t ‘Crash’ as often if ever like the dreaded Windows 7!
Sure, Windows 7 crashed once in a while. Windows 10 not only crashes VERY often....it's PLANNED! Windows Update shuts down EVERYTHING and there doesn't seem to be anyway to avoid it.

7. I have never ever had problems with "Restart" on any of my Windows systems!
New computer. Bought it since Microsoft wouldn't let me install Windows 7 on a newly purchased hard drive. Part of the restart problems went away by disconnecting HDMI. (The manual restart works, now, but any software that initiates a restart doesn't.)

8. ....any design would be problematic for you...
Sure, I'm fussy, so I always have minor gripes.
The MAJOR gripe is that I can't choose my own settings.

....if you don't like Windows 10 don't use it!....
If I had that option, I'd take it. I can't revert to Windows 7, either.

Now....back to trying to resurrect my other computer. I've just spent 3 hours trying to get it to work again after Windows Update, once again, took over. It says, "Don't restart your computer."....but after 10 hours, I got impatient and rebooted it. Now it's frozen again. *sigh* I wonder if Microsoft will reimburse me for the expense? Ha!

Reaction score
OMG!!!
Now my f'ng microsoft account is suspended?!? I have to buy a sat phone to unlock it!? GEEZUS H CHRIST.

Ya, I'm frustrated. ALL my shortcuts were deleted from my desktop. ALL my personal documents deleted. (Yes, I have it backed up, but it's 3 days old....so more lost work.)

Bottom line is very simple. I want the freedom to do things MY way....whether they're a good idea or not. Really quite sick of Windows 10 interrupting, deleting and changing things whether I want it done or not.

Windows 10, very simply, does NOT allow personal choices.

Last edited:
Reaction score
1. Windows 10 is an online operating system.
Great. So where can I get Windows so I can use my computer when I don't have online access?

2. Uninstall them, if you didn’t know such basics?.... Programs > Uninstall a program
Works for some stuff. Doesn't work for a lot of stuff. (Window Update, Groove, and Firewall come to mind. Lots of other stuff, but since windows Update has frozen my computer, I can't do anything on it right now.)

Primarily because it's so time consuming, interrupts whatever I'm doing, and NEVER fixes/updates anything that actually NEEDS to be done.
Not a lot of good if I'm not here to change them. Nor much good if I have to be here to restart my computer.

....not on the internet.... Not online 24/7. When I am, I don't want to have to spend 6 hours (or more) updating.

4. Why would you want to disable/remove Windows?
Not sure what I was thinking when I wrote that. I know I had problems installing Windows & Linux on one computer. Gave up on that.

5. Why isn’t Linux as popular as Windows? And why aren’t billions of people using Linux?
I'd guess because most people are perfectly happy having other people tell them what to do. Sure, it's more challenging, but the user is in control.

6. Windows 10 doesn’t ‘Crash’ as often if ever like the dreaded Windows 7!
Sure, Windows 7 crashed once in a while. Windows 10 not only crashes VERY often....it's PLANNED! Windows Update shuts down EVERYTHING and there doesn't seem to be anyway to avoid it.

7. I have never ever had problems with "Restart" on any of my Windows systems!
New computer. Bought it since Microsoft wouldn't let me install Windows 7 on a newly purchased hard drive. Part of the restart problems went away by disconnecting HDMI. (The manual restart works, now, but any software that initiates a restart doesn't.)

8. ....any design would be problematic for you...
Sure, I'm fussy, so I always have minor gripes.
The MAJOR gripe is that I can't choose my own settings.

....if you don't like Windows 10 don't use it!....
If I had that option, I'd take it. I can't revert to Windows 7, either.

Now....back to trying to resurrect my other computer. I've just spent 3 hours trying to get it to work again after Windows Update, once again, took over. It says, "Don't restart your computer."....but after 10 hours, I got impatient and rebooted it. Now it's frozen again. *sigh* I wonder if Microsoft will reimburse me for the expense? Ha!

Don, Don, Don please don't go on with all this nonsensical jargon, your problems are self inflicted (as many users don't have these problems) and the only reason that they keep repeating themselves with you is, because you expect and must tinker with Windows OP system! Why would you want to 'change Win-10 on a new computer to Win-7??? That is absurd and an unbelievably stupid thing to do! I think that you are a very fussy and an impossible user to please! You have no idea of the basics of software and/or hardware. The problems that you have outlined above, are proof of your inability to solve basic computer software integration and hardware problems. I have never ever had or experienced your problems ever! Again, why would you want to uninstall 'Window Update and Firewall'? That is ridiculous, you can't, those are core parts of Windows and with 'Firewall' you can get a 3rd party one if you are not satisfied with the Windows Firewall! As far as the 'Groove App' is concerned, don't use it, it doesn't cause anything if you don't use it, just, change your default media player to another player, simple and that is where you are going wrong and are so stubborn with your choices. You don't have to uninstall a program if you don't use it!

As I've told you before, I have been using Windows and all its versions for many years (since 1987) and I have built hundreds of computers and laptops, installed OP systems, updated BIOS, Updated firmwares, upgraded and changed CPU's and overclocked many CPU's etc., as a matter of a fact, I'm just in the process of building an 'External Graphics Card' for my Aspire 5750-2414 laptop, i7-2720QM (that I've upgraded from its default i5-2410M CPU) with an 'NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 3 GB' external graphics card. I have never ever had problems like you have but, any problems that I've had, I've managed to solve, both hardware wise and software wise. Windows 10 is a wonderfully friendly OP system and needs even less tinkering with its drivers and/or with its software mods, which is the wonderful thing about Windows 10! Don please 'Give Up' and don't use Windows and use the Linux Ubuntu (www.ubuntu.com). That is my suggestion to you, as anything that anybody suggests to you would be useless! Cheers, take care and enjoy Linux Ubuntu!

Last edited:
Reaction score
"

....not on the internet.... Not online 24/7. When I am, I don't want to have to spend 6 hours (or more) updating."

I find that update takes no time at all except the twice a year new releases. MY machines can be left to download the updates in the background and do the install when I shut down at night ( which I always do) and restart in the morning ( while the coffee machine is burbling)

Now the Insider Program is a different matter...

Reaction score
- Why would you want to 'change Win-10 on a new computer to Win-7???

Because Win 7 let me work. Win 10 doesn't.

- you are a very fussy and an impossible user to please

Really? I sit down to work at my computer, but can NOT, because Win10 has decided it's going to update. You call that fussy? Now I need to spend several hours trying to get basic function back. Presuming I have the time. Sometimes this means waiting several days before I can use my computer again.

- You have no idea of the basics of software and/or hardware.

No argument there. I didn't NEED to know much of anything with Win7. Now, I'm forced to search forums for temporary solutions (if any) which, of course, are un-fixed at the next update. Solutions which may or may not be solutions, since they're written by who knows of unknown accuracy/quality. When I did need to know something help was usually sufficient. Now, I can't get ANY help without getting online.

- and I have built hundreds of computers and laptops, installed OP systems...

Great for you! I want an operating system that does NOT require extensive expertise. It can and should be completely in the background: not interrupting, changing, downloading, deleting, etc., and, worst of all, should NOT be preventing me from doing what I wanna do. EVEN if it's a bad idea, it's my computer, not microsoft's.

- download the updates in the background

How do you do that? When update starts, my computer freezes. I lose anything current/unsaved. My only choice is to unplug my computer, restart it a few times then start the process of restoring my system.

Reaction score
*cry*

Now what? Windows Updated....part way, yet again. For a few hours, nothing was happening (screen black).

Now, I get, "Startup Repair couldn't repair your PC".
I've tried everything I can think of under "Advanced Options" without success.

No idea where to go from here.

Reaction score
i have just had the newest update and i'm glad to say that windows didnt let me down again . yep , ive had to redo all my settings again . redo all my pictures , fonts , security ( thats a laugh), privacy (still laughing ) and i have back the ever wonderful piles of crap that are cortana and edge , i had those taken off my computer for a reason , just have to wait for a computer expert to make a file to delete them again . also i have seen i dont have access to quite alot of things on my computer as i dont have the rights on my computer . i have been banned from here before for being negetive about how windows seem to own our computers , accused of spam (thats a good one). will windows learn that some of us dont want all their crap on our computers and should do something about it , also what is hidden in the parts we arent alloed to access on our own bought personal computers ?

Admin edit: and banned again unfortunately. Not because you have complaints with Windows, but because you insist on repeatedly spamming other members threads with nonsense and ruining genuine members from getting help. You've signed up here many times and must have posted this same sort of post 100 times wherever you think it'll stick a spanner in the works. We're not Microsoft, we're a free forum to help users of Windows!

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction score
i have just had the newest update and i'm glad to say that windows didnt let me down again . yep , ive had to redo all my settings again
Yep, that's the waydoing Version Upgrades works, puts things back to their published condition and all such things have to be redone. It's been that way for quite awhile, several different Versions of Windows. Might even see it happen with once in awhile with a Build update, think of Builds as if they were the Service Packs for older Versions of Windows. My clue is that the games I like get uninstalled so I keep the installation file on the drive and reinstall as needed.

Don't see the same issue as much with Linux Mint.

A note: Windows 10 is provided as a Service, will constantly be Upgraded [so far twice a year] and updated at least once a month.

Ask a Question