USB 2 ports not working.

Reaction score
I have an MSI motherboard with and AMD processor. It uses ASMedia drivers for the USB ports. The USB 3.0 ports (of which there are 2) work but the USB 2.0 ports (of which there are 6 on the back and 2 on the front) do not. It appears the driver for these ports is located in other devices under the device manager and I can not get it to load properly from the driver setup from ASMedia. If I remove the ASMedia drives the system defaults back to generic drives one labeled "ASMedia USB 3.0 eXtensible Host Controller - 1.0 (Microsoft) the other USB Root Hub (USB 3.0). Since there are 2 USB 3.0 ports there are 2 of each of these drivers. The drivers labeled "Universal Serial Bus (USB) Controller" still reside in the Other devices and the drivers are not loaded per the device manager. Does anyone have any ideas on how to get these drivers to loaded properly. This occurred after I updated an MSI driver for the Realtek sound card which is on the Motherboard.

bassfisher6522

Reaction score
Sounds like this is a custom build. If that is correct, check to make sure you have the USB 2 port cable(s) connected to the USB headers on the mobo. If they are connected makes sure that they are connected correctly - pin orientation.

Reaction score
Also remove the soundcard (deactivate it temporarily) in "Device Manager" and reboot, then try your USB ports again, it may be a driver conflict causing the problem?. ;)

Reaction score
I wanted to give an update on the status of this post. The problem with the USB 2 ports was related to the newest version of Windows 10 not being compatible with the drivers from MSI for the USB 2 ports. I have notified MSI and they responded that they are working on the issue. I rolled back to a previous version of Windows 10 (Version 1703 build 15063.674). The version that was the problem was version 1709. I am hoping that the problem is resolved so I can update my Windows 10. If anyone has a similar problem contact me and I can give you my ticket number with MSI. I have held off updating the Realtek sound card on the motherboard but I have been told by Windows that was not the problem.

Ask a Question